Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Accessing personals sites in UAE, Oman, and especially Iran.

Old Dec 20th 2008, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

sandia911 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Accessing personals sites in UAE, Oman, and especially Iran.

I am traveling with a laptop to the Middle East, specifically UAE, Oman, and Iran for a period lasting several months. I know that in Iran especially certain websites are blocked or filtered out through keywords. My question is how do locals, or expats get around these restrictions? Specifically, I'm talking about ananomyzers, (or websites that break through blocks, I tried anonymouse dot org, against the Chinese firewall, and the results were mixed). Some websites came out fine, others were all mixed around, and unusable. Specific websites I need to access are personals sites, or sites with user profiles, pictures, and ability to contact other members. I DO NOT need to access political, or news sites, just personal sites important only to me. Some of these sites are gay-specific, like gayromeo, or gaydar.

Thanks.
Old Dec 20th 2008, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

USExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to all
Default Re: Accessing personals sites in UAE, Oman, and especially Iran.

Originally Posted by sandia911

I am traveling with a laptop to the Middle East, specifically UAE, Oman, and Iran for a period lasting several months. I know that in Iran especially certain websites are blocked or filtered out through keywords. My question is how do locals, or expats get around these restrictions? Specifically, I'm talking about ananomyzers, (or websites that break through blocks, I tried anonymouse dot org, against the Chinese firewall, and the results were mixed). Some websites came out fine, others were all mixed around, and unusable. Specific websites I need to access are personals sites, or sites with user profiles, pictures, and ability to contact other members. I DO NOT need to access political, or news sites, just personal sites important only to me. Some of these sites are gay-specific, like gayromeo, or gaydar.

Thanks.
Either pay a hell of a lot of money for a really good one or forget it all together. The cheap ones / free ones let you think you're bouncing all over the internet while in reality you aren't. Anyone with a bit of hackers experience will give you your physical address in less then ten minutes time. The only one I know that really works is called PGP Stealth IP, but don't get caught with it up and running in the USA. (Or the UK, or most of the civilized world) It's the dream come true under the hackers software as you're in 99% real stealth mode. And you really need to know what you're doing, I know most USA providers actively scan for systems running this software. A true professional doesn't let the "uptime" exceed the ten minutes. So buy a good alarm clock as well.

Last edited by USExpat; Dec 20th 2008 at 5:26 pm.
Old Dec 20th 2008, 5:34 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USExpat
Either pay a hell of a lot of money for a really good one or forget it all together. The cheap ones / free ones let you think you're bouncing all over the internet while in reality you aren't. Anyone with a bit of hackers experience will give you your physical address in less then ten minutes time. The only one I know that really works is called PGP Stealth IP, but don't get caught with it up and running in the USA. (Or the UK, or most of the civilized world) It's the dream come true under the hackers software as you're in 99% real stealth mode. And you really need to know what you're doing, I know most USA providers actively scan for systems running this software. A true professional doesn't let the "uptime" exceed the ten minutes. So buy a good alarm clock as well.
The guy is asking about normal stuff, not Blackhat / Area51... a VPN will see you right... get it before you arrive as they are blocked to download, but to use they are fine.
Old Dec 20th 2008, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

USExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Autonomy
The guy is asking about normal stuff, not Blackhat / Area51... a VPN will see you right... get it before you arrive as they are blocked to download, but to use they are fine.
Well seeing what websites he's referring to in combination with Iran? Not so normal to me...
Old Dec 20th 2008, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

I am interested in just checking my messages, it is nothing elaborate, or tricky. I am interested in VPN to download, I have never heard of it...

How does it work?
Old Dec 20th 2008, 6:24 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

I am interested in just checking my messages, it is nothing elaborate, or tricky. I am interested in VPN to download, I have never heard of it...

How does it work?
Virtual private network. try download.com or google it.
Old Dec 20th 2008, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

How does it work?
VPN is a bit of overkill for what you want to do. It can demand a lot from your hardware as well. Redirect any or all messages from these websites to Yahoo, Hotmail or Gmail to name a few, which is fairly easy to do. You can even reply to them via these. These websites are accessible from anywhere on planet earth. Even the P.R.China or Iran.
Old Dec 20th 2008, 7:11 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USExpat
VPN is a bit of overkill for what you want to do. It can demand a lot from your hardware as well. Redirect any or all messages from these websites to Yahoo, Hotmail or Gmail to name a few, which is fairly easy to do. You can even reply to them via these. These websites are accessible from anywhere on planet earth. Even the P.R.China or Iran.
Oh look, the wind has changed direction. Do you have real thoughts on anything or do you just drift with the flow?

sandia, VPN, a simple download that will allow you access to the sites you want without fear of blocking from the big brother firewalls in place in many of ME countries.
Old Dec 20th 2008, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Roadking
Oh look, the wind has changed direction. Do you have real thoughts on anything or do you just drift with the flow?

sandia, VPN, a simple download that will allow you access to the sites you want without fear of blocking from the big brother firewalls in place in many of ME countries.
No my opinion hasn't changed, thank you... I misunderstood Sandia that's all. I assumed he wanted to spend hours actively involved on what's going on on these websites. (Which is dangerous in the countries he mentioned) Only now I understood that it's his various messages he's after. I'm still convinced VPN would be overkill for him but that's his choice to make. And the illusion VPN is safe is what it is, an illusion.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 5:34 am

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

Thanks.
hi sandia,

try a vpn. personally, i use www.vpngates.com. they're simple and cheap (USD$120 for a year i think) and seem to work pretty well from here (Saudi). they have servers in both the US and UK so you can masquerade as a UK ip address for using things like bbc iplayer and other region-ip locked sites.

btw, sites like facebook et al are not a problem to access, but am not sure about playes like gaydar. only way to try is to put the url into google and see if it bounces!

good luck!
Old Dec 21st 2008, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

Hi I had no idea VPN was that costly, i'm afraid I can't afford it Is there a free alternative, like proxy sites? I have a list, but maybe they're already blocked in Iran/ I hear they have one of the best filtering systems...

I will look into forwarding messages to my mail, but I don't remember seeing those settings on these sites. Perhaps only some sites have that option.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

Hi I had no idea VPN was that costly, i'm afraid I can't afford it Is there a free alternative, like proxy sites? I have a list, but maybe they're already blocked in Iran/ I hear they have one of the best filtering systems...

I will look into forwarding messages to my mail, but I don't remember seeing those settings on these sites. Perhaps only some sites have that option.
Hi Sandia,

Most websites nowadays have that possibility, message forwarding I mean, at least if you're a paying member. Just get some really good advise on these "proxy sites" okay? I've seen it go terribly wrong with good friends on mine. In 99.9% of the cases privacy on the internet is an illusion.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 8:04 am
Once a blue Always a blue

Tiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks.

google U81 or U82
Thats what the chinese use to go around there proxy
You can use skype etc... as for the other websites haven't really checked it