British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Access to NHS (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/access-nhs-862850/)

magnification Aug 3rd 2015 7:04 pm

Access to NHS

Am currently UK non-resident, in Saudi, contracting.
Can I use full NHS services when visiting UK or just A&E?

If I pay NI contributions, will this enable NHS services?

SanDiegogirl Aug 3rd 2015 7:12 pm

Re: Access to NHS

Depends on how long you have been out of UK, but you state you are non resident (presumably non tax paying also) so just on this info I would say you are eligible for just A&E for emergency treatment.

No, paying NIC does not make you eligible for NHS.

Notice you asked this same question in June..... my answer is the same as the others.

Johnnyboy11 Aug 4th 2015 6:22 am

Originally Posted by magnification (Post 11715424)

Have a read here.

co durham boy Aug 4th 2015 9:46 am

Originally Posted by magnification (Post 11715424)

Walk in see the doctor and get fixed . Half the worlds doing mate , don't feel bad either .

I have a NHS doctor and dentist and have never worked in the UK for over 15 years ;)

christmasoompa Aug 5th 2015 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 11715913)
Walk in see the doctor and get fixed . Half the worlds doing mate , don't feel bad either .

I have a NHS doctor and dentist and have never worked in the UK for over 15 years ;)

My husband was asked for proof of residence in the UK, worth bearing in mind that if you're asked for the same and get caught, you'll get a very hefty bill.

co durham boy Aug 6th 2015 7:30 am

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 11717044)
My husband was asked for proof of residence in the UK, worth bearing in mind that if you're asked for the same and get caught, you'll get a very hefty bill.

I have proof of residence and you'll never ever get caught .

mikelincs Aug 6th 2015 7:34 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 11717438)

Rules and checks have been tightened up a lot very recently, and it's all to do with people like you using the NHS illegally.

scrubbedexpat141 Aug 6th 2015 7:58 am

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 11717441)
Rules and checks have been tightened up a lot very recently, and it's all to do with people like you using the NHS illegally.

'people like you' hahaha.

Surely if you have international medical (I have global BUPA) then you can get treated in the UK quickly and easily?

Bahtatboy Aug 6th 2015 8:18 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 11717438)

I know of a UK hospital which employs one person dedicated to identifying and chasing people not entitled to free care. But I don't know if he concentrates on non-Brits, or discriminates between Brits (ie expats) and non-Brits, or both (or neither).

mikelincs Aug 6th 2015 8:23 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11717463)
'people like you' hahaha.

Surely if you have international medical (I have global BUPA) then you can get treated in the UK quickly and easily?

WTF, Who was talking about BUPA, the whole thread is about the NHS, nothing to do with private cover, and, if you are not a UK resident, or a UK pensioner, then you should be paying for any NHs treatment outside the A&E depts, that was my reason for the comment as codurhamboy was saying he felt entitled to use the NHS for free even though he doesn't live in the UK and hasn't done so for 15 years.

scrubbedexpat141 Aug 6th 2015 8:48 am

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 11717477)
WTF, Who was talking about BUPA, the whole thread is about the NHS, nothing to do with private cover, and, if you are not a UK resident, or a UK pensioner, then you should be paying for any NHs treatment outside the A&E depts, that was my reason for the comment as codurhamboy was saying he felt entitled to use the NHS for free even though he doesn't live in the UK and hasn't done so for 15 years.

Alright, calm down I was just asking a question.

The link posted says;

The charges only apply to hospitals – appointments with GPs and accident and emergency treatment remain free.
So if I was back in the UK and needed a prescription or something from a GP, it would be free regardless?

co durham boy Aug 6th 2015 8:59 am

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 11717441)

People like me , i'm one of those yeah . A one that has property , business interests and employs people in the UK and has invested thousands into the country and the economy .

People like me aye and i only want some cough medicine and a filling . I probably contribute to the decrepid system more than you and i havent lived their full time for 15 years .

christmasoompa Aug 6th 2015 9:03 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 11717495)
People like me , i'm one of those yeah . A one that has property , business interests and employs people in the UK and has invested thousands into the country and the economy .

Oh, well, that's ok then. :rolleyes:

co durham boy Aug 6th 2015 9:06 am

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 11717497)
Oh, well, that's ok then. :rolleyes:

I believe it is yes

mikelincs Aug 6th 2015 9:10 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11717488)
Alright, calm down I was just asking a question.

The link posted says;

So if I was back in the UK and needed a prescription or something from a GP, it would be free regardless?

If you are a pensioner, yes, if not the GP visit and prescription would be charged.