Accepted the job!

Old Feb 28th 2008, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

BettyCrocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Accepted the job!

Hi all,

After much research and urmmmming and ahhhhhing interviews, offers and applications I've decided to take the teaching job....yep the one which offers 55,000AED housing allowance BUT, I figure although this is not nearly enough, its a good way to get my foot in the door, and in 2 years if I need to move on I can, and if I'm happy I can stay. I really like what I've heard about this school (from teachers and parents points of view) and so will be taking a lesser package. I did call the director to negotiate but no joy.

I will be earning about £150 less than I earn in the UK (after tax), but I'm sure I can still save, couldn't even save more than £50 per month!....I get picked up and dropped off at school (saving $$$ and potential road rage), free single accommodation (they offer shared or single...and I've made it clear that I would prefer single accommodation)...flights/medical etc...50% tuition fee paid for 2 dependants (may come in handy one day?) and of course zillions of holidays....

So earning 9500 AED for me I think I'll be ok.....am I on cloud Cuckoo land or is this realistic for a couple years?

BCx
Old Feb 28th 2008, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Accepted the job!

kidding

Last edited by arbroath_abroad; Feb 28th 2008 at 8:54 pm.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Cham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BettyCrocker
Hi all,

After much research and urmmmming and ahhhhhing interviews, offers and applications I've decided to take the teaching job....yep the one which offers 55,000AED housing allowance BUT, I figure although this is not nearly enough, its a good way to get my foot in the door, and in 2 years if I need to move on I can, and if I'm happy I can stay. I really like what I've heard about this school (from teachers and parents points of view) and so will be taking a lesser package. I did call the director to negotiate but no joy.

I will be earning about £150 less than I earn in the UK (after tax), but I'm sure I can still save, couldn't even save more than £50 per month!....I get picked up and dropped off at school (saving $$$ and potential road rage), free single accommodation (they offer shared or single...and I've made it clear that I would prefer single accommodation)...flights/medical etc...50% tuition fee paid for 2 dependants (may come in handy one day?) and of course zillions of holidays....

So earning 9500 AED for me I think I'll be ok.....am I on cloud Cuckoo land or is this realistic for a couple years?

BCx
you're earning less than you would here? not sure about your field or what your experience is like but i would have told them to bugger off... The good thing is the kids will probably better behaved

as for the two year thing, a friend of mine managed to get a one year contract somehow... after that first year they gave her a huge payrise...

just don't sell yourself short...
Old Feb 28th 2008, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Cham,
I'm a teacher with only 2 years experience...so at the bottom of my career ladder. I'm teaching in a real scum hole called Telford where the cohort is the bottom 10% of the country, and am really looking forward to teaching kids who may actually want to be there, or at least have the support of the parents etc. I have my heart set on it..and perhaps been a little hasty, but I am really excited! The salary is rising Sept 09 by 15% on the plus side.
Interesting about the one year contract....

Old Feb 29th 2008, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

hey betty, i was only kidding, its a great chance for you...

you will have a ball
Old Feb 29th 2008, 3:38 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

You'll do just fine

Think you'll enjoy your teaching experience and hopefully also enjoy living here....
Old Feb 29th 2008, 3:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BettyCrocker
Thanks Cham,
I'm a teacher with only 2 years experience...so at the bottom of my career ladder. I'm teaching in a real scum hole called Telford where the cohort is the bottom 10% of the country, and am really looking forward to teaching kids who may actually want to be there, or at least have the support of the parents etc. I have my heart set on it..and perhaps been a little hasty, but I am really excited! The salary is rising Sept 09 by 15% on the plus side.
Interesting about the one year contract....

You're from Telford????

You'll LOVE Dubai...........

........... come to think of it - if you're from Telford - you'd love Kabul.......
Old Feb 29th 2008, 6:31 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Betty did you ever get a response from GEMS? they offer way better packages.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 6:34 am
Forum Regular

Hehe thanks you guys!

Luckily I don't live in Telford, I live in a lovely town called Shrewsbury (20 mins away)...but teachers stay put in nice leafy suburb schools and jobs are hard to come by...
They tried to ruin Shropshire when they installed 'Telford' eeewwwww
OOHHHHHH I am VERY excited!!!
Old Feb 29th 2008, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

No I didn't....the interviewer said I'd hear by 2 weeks ago, so I email the sec, and she said they were deciding sunday and would let me know by tuesday....still nothing and I'd had the contract for DIS for 2 weeks and was under pressure to let them know either way.
The Repton interviews aren't until end of March/April so I figured 'one bird in the hand is worth two in the bush'.
Gems were offering 15,000 more housing allowance and about £150 more a month, but I couldn't hold out any longer without jeapordizing the offer I had......swings and roundabouts!
Old Feb 29th 2008, 9:12 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

All I can say is that I would much rather live in Shrewsbury than Dubai on the same money. Also, on single status accommodation, you may end up sharing with somebody you end up hating. Good luck my dear...and by the way, the kids here are by no means an easy touch, invariably spoiled rotten and rude.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

Also known as "Lionheart The Positive".

I'd have thought you should be fine on that package- the cost of living in Dubai is generally less than in the UK (but rising fast) so you should be fine even if the salary is slightly less than you are used to. I'm a bit confused though- you say you are going for company provided "single" accomodation but then you mention the housing allowance of 55,000Dhs. How does that work?
Old Feb 29th 2008, 10:10 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

And as a woman you can have a lot of free drinks when you go out. Many places have Ladies Nights when there are free drinks for women for several hours. Check Time Out for info & take advantage of it!
Old Feb 29th 2008, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

I do like a woman with her priorities in order!
Old Feb 29th 2008, 11:07 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Getting free drinks is good financial planning!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.