Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Accept job in bahrain?? help!

Accept job in bahrain?? help!

Old Oct 13th 2004, 2:01 am
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 3
Stungun is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Accept job in bahrain?? help!

Hi Guys,

I am offered a position in bahrain but the salary is not too great.....It is the same as my take-home pay now (Net) plus extra accomodation...(400 BD a month furnished plus 30 DB for amminities)
I really want to leave the UK and go to the sun but will my lifestyle get better or worse money wise??
I own an appartment in the UK and will rent it out, probably just break even on that one. Still have some debts here, so no really a lot of financial room..
Of course i am also worried what will happen after two years when my contract is up for renewal and i want to get back to the UK so would like to save some money for that day..
is that possible you think??
Thanks a lot!

Last edited by Stungun; Oct 13th 2004 at 2:09 am.
Stungun is offline  
Old Oct 13th 2004, 2:21 am
  #2  
Just Incredible
 
karenb2's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Bahrain
Posts: 167
karenb2 has a brilliant futurekarenb2 has a brilliant futurekarenb2 has a brilliant futurekarenb2 has a brilliant futurekarenb2 has a brilliant futurekarenb2 has a brilliant futurekarenb2 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Accept job in bahrain?? help!

Hi,

I have just replied to Triple J about living in Bahrain. Its a wonderful place to live and you will have a great time.

Just one query - Does the BD400 relate to your housing allowance/month. I think apartments average between about BD250 - BD500 although you can probably get a small villa for BD400. Some of the apartments are inclusive - ie the electricity and water is included in the price of the rent. Obviously getting one that is fully furnished would be ideal because you wouldn't have the added cost of buying these goods.

If you need to find your own place, then I can give you the contact details of a friend who works in real estate.

Karen


Originally Posted by Stungun
Hi Guys,

I am offered a position in bahrain but the salary is not too great.....It is the same as my take-home pay now (Net) plus extra accomodation...(400 BD a month furnished plus 30 DB for amminities)
I really want to leave the UK and go to the sun but will my lifestyle get better or worse money wise??
I own an appartment in the UK and will rent it out, probably just break even on that one. Still have some debts here, so no really a lot of financial room..
Of course i am also worried what will happen after two years when my contract is up for renewal and i want to get back to the UK so would like to save some money for that day..
is that possible you think??
Thanks a lot!
karenb2 is offline  
Old Oct 13th 2004, 2:27 am
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 3
Stungun is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Accept job in bahrain?? help!

Hi karen,

Thanks for your reply.
I am not too worried about the housing but basically about the salary...
As I said i will earn the same amout of money in the bahrain as in the UK now (again plus the housing benefit)...do you think it is worth going then if the financial reward is almost non existend, and will my living standard improve or not by moving, financially, or will it be the most insane move somebody can make?





Originally Posted by karenb2
Hi,

I have just replied to Triple J about living in Bahrain. Its a wonderful place to live and you will have a great time.

Just one query - Does the BD400 relate to your housing allowance/month. I think apartments average between about BD250 - BD500 although you can probably get a small villa for BD400. Some of the apartments are inclusive - ie the electricity and water is included in the price of the rent. Obviously getting one that is fully furnished would be ideal because you wouldn't have the added cost of buying these goods.

If you need to find your own place, then I can give you the contact details of a friend who works in real estate.

Karen
Stungun is offline  
Old Oct 13th 2004, 2:39 am
  #4  
Just Incredible
 
karenb2's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Bahrain
Posts: 167
karenb2 has a brilliant futurekarenb2 has a brilliant futurekarenb2 has a brilliant futurekarenb2 has a brilliant futurekarenb2 has a brilliant futurekarenb2 has a brilliant futurekarenb2 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Accept job in bahrain?? help!

Stungun,

I will get my husband to answer your query when he gets home. I think he would be able to give you a better reply than I could.

Watch this space!!

Karen


Originally Posted by Stungun
Hi karen,

Thanks for your reply.
I am not too worried about the housing but basically about the salary...
As I said i will earn the same amout of money in the bahrain as in the UK now (again plus the housing benefit)...do you think it is worth going then if the financial reward is almost non existend, and will my living standard improve or not by moving, financially, or will it be the most insane move somebody can make?
karenb2 is offline  
Old Oct 13th 2004, 2:47 am
  #5  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 3
Stungun is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Accept job in bahrain?? help!

Wow, karen that would be great!
I have to say that for the moment I decided against leaving the UK.
everybody says the salaries are tax free in bahrain but what they don't tell you, that, at least in my case, the companies are banking the "tax money" themselves and the expat employer gets the same money as they would if they were paying tax!
I am just trying to make the right decision here because I don't want to end up in the desert poor!


Originally Posted by karenb2
Stungun,

I will get my husband to answer your query when he gets home. I think he would be able to give you a better reply than I could.

Watch this space!!

Karen
Stungun is offline  
Old Oct 13th 2004, 6:42 pm
  #6  
Beduoin_Boy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Accept job in bahrain?? help!

Originally Posted by Stungun
Hi Guys,

I am offered a position in bahrain but the salary is not too great.....It is the same as my take-home pay now (Net) plus extra accomodation...(400 BD a month furnished plus 30 DB for amminities)
I really want to leave the UK and go to the sun but will my lifestyle get better or worse money wise??
I own an appartment in the UK and will rent it out, probably just break even on that one. Still have some debts here, so no really a lot of financial room..
Of course i am also worried what will happen after two years when my contract is up for renewal and i want to get back to the UK so would like to save some money for that day..
is that possible you think??
Thanks a lot!

You will never know the temperature of the water unless you put your own finger into it.

I dont know much about Bahrain but what I have heard is that its a great place.
 
Old Oct 13th 2004, 7:05 pm
  #7  
Forum Regular
 
Nevi's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Dubai
Posts: 70
Nevi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Accept job in bahrain?? help!

Originally Posted by Beduoin_Boy
You will never know the temperature of the water unless you put your own finger into it.

I dont know much about Bahrain but what I have heard is that its a great place.
Agree, but if other people have tried and all burnt their fingers, you would have to be pretty stupid to put your hand in.......
Nevi is offline  
Old Oct 13th 2004, 7:16 pm
  #8  
Beduoin_Boy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Accept job in bahrain?? help!

Originally Posted by Nevi
Agree, but if other people have tried and all burnt their fingers, you would have to be pretty stupid to put your hand in.......
Trying it yourself is different! others have tried riding bike and are now in hospital! so what am I to do? let me fall my self not other fallin for me.
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.