Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Abu Dhabi, unmarried, with kid!!!

Abu Dhabi, unmarried, with kid!!!

Old Jul 4th 2008, 1:07 am
Just Joined

londonmark is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Abu Dhabi, unmarried, with kid!!!

Hi

I am a UK citizen and I have just been offered a job in Abu Dhabi but my girlfriend and I have a 4 month old baby. Can anyone tell me the following:

1) Will we even get in to the country as residents with different names on our passports?
2) Is it possible to live in sin but just allow everybody including the authorities to assume we are married?
3) Is it possible to get out there and then get married there? I like the idea of being able to say your divorced three time and its all dealt with if it all goes wrong!

Cheers
MB
Old Jul 4th 2008, 4:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Abu Dhabi, unmarried, with kid!!!

your girlfriend won't be able to get a residency visa, neither will the baby...this will mean constant visa runs etc...It is illegal to cohabit - do a search on here there are gazillions of threads about it - but of course, loads and loads of people do...

MM, xx
Old Jul 4th 2008, 6:44 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

agree with MM, I have a 6MO baby, we are married. The fact that every 60 days you will (mother and baby) do visa runs is not ideal for a baby, and also they are cracking down on this... Plus will the company provide family healthcare which is obviously crucial for a baby?

for visa issues, you will need to produce your marriage certificate etc, so you can only blag people so much..

I would tread very carefully. No baby, no problem in my opinion, as 2 adults can overcome any difficulties put in your way, but when you have a baby to consider..its just not woth it.

anyway thats my tuppence worth for what its worth
Old Jul 4th 2008, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

londonmark is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry if I am so naive but what does a visa run entail? I am assuming that Mum and baby have to cross the border (where & how far from AD?) to get a tourist visa renewed - is that about it?

My problem is time. The employer wants me to start ASAP - like in two weeks or so and we obviously can’t get married in that timescale. I am totally up for getting married, even out there would be cool. To be honest we never saw the point in the UK and my partner had been told by her doctor she could not have kids so it’s all kinda just happened this way!!!

So can I bring them on tourist visas, tell everybody we are married, cross the border to renew these once or twice at the most, and then have wedding either in the UK or there???

Good advice guarantees you an invitation to the nuptials!
Old Jul 4th 2008, 5:03 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Listen to AA (just this once).There is a schedule of tests & vaccines adults have to complete for entry to UAE.Coupled with the routine vaccines your babe has to receive at home, you will probably choose the sensible option in regard to advises and vaccinate the cherubino/a- should you all move to UAE.You can fool some of the people some of the time ................why not come out solo-firm everything up including healthcare and housing then go home and jump the broom at Gretna or summit then three of ya return en famille.

As for an invite? I regret I cannot attend due to a severe allergy -the very word sends me epi
Old Jul 4th 2008, 6:23 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by londonmark
Hi

I am a UK citizen and I have just been offered a job in Abu Dhabi but my girlfriend and I have a 4 month old baby. Can anyone tell me the following:

1) Will we even get in to the country as residents with different names on our passports?
2) Is it possible to live in sin but just allow everybody including the authorities to assume we are married?
3) Is it possible to get out there and then get married there? I like the idea of being able to say your divorced three time and its all dealt with if it all goes wrong!

Cheers
MB
1. You'll get a residence visa as you're the one who has been offered a job. Your lady won't though as you don't have a marriage certificate (names don't matter - bits of paper do!)
2. If you didn't have a baby and your lady was able to get a visa you might get away with this for years and years...but in Abu Dhabi you will need to be discreet.
3. Saying I divorce you three times applies only to muslims (which is rather strange since it is actually the only official way to get divorced in the bible but then Christians never did follow that too closely thankfully or we would be stoning adulterers and basically carrying on like the taliban).

It's not worth coming over here with a baby as an unmarried couple...it's actually illegal to have a child out of wedlock in the UAE (yes it's the middle ages with skyscrapers) so if you want to bring them out here get married first...or look for jobs in more reasonable and free societies!

N.
Old Jul 5th 2008, 7:41 am
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest we never saw the point in the UK and my partner had been told by her doctor she could not have kids so it’s all kinda just happened this way!!!!
!
Old Jul 5th 2008, 8:29 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

So can I bring them on tourist visas, tell everybody we are married, cross the border to renew these once or twice at the most, and then have wedding either in the UK or there???
As has been said, since you're not married your company will very likely only pay for medical cover for you. If, God forbid, your partner or child need medical treatment out here before they're covered by the company policy, you will have to pay for it out of your own pocket, and the costs can be astronomical.

You might be able to cover them with a travel insurance policy, but be careful - if they had to make a claim and the insurance company got even the slightest inkling that they weren't just on an extended holiday but had settled in Dubai, they'd void your policy.

Visa runs may be coming to an end, and as has been said, the fact that it's Abu Dhabi rather than Dubai complicates the whole situation further, since AD is more "traditional" than Dubai. It doesn't take much to find yourself having to answer awkward questions about marital status - say, for example, you end up in a minor traffic accident with your partner and child in the car. Even if it's just a bent bumper, the police have to be called, and there's every chance they'd ask you if you're married... and if you're not, or you say you are but you can't prove it with a marriage certificate, then you're looking at jail followed by deportation.

As Eva suggests, by far the best thing to do would be for you to come out here by yourself, get everything set up, then go back to the UK to get married and *then* bring the family out. Any other way, you're potentially setting yourself up for more hassle than you can possibly imagine.
Old Jul 5th 2008, 12:01 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eeyore
As has been said, since you're not married your company will very likely only pay for medical cover for you. If, God forbid, your partner or child need medical treatment out here before they're covered by the company policy, you will have to pay for it out of your own pocket, and the costs can be astronomical.

You might be able to cover them with a travel insurance policy, but be careful - if they had to make a claim and the insurance company got even the slightest inkling that they weren't just on an extended holiday but had settled in Dubai, they'd void your policy.

Visa runs may be coming to an end, and as has been said, the fact that it's Abu Dhabi rather than Dubai complicates the whole situation further, since AD is more "traditional" than Dubai. It doesn't take much to find yourself having to answer awkward questions about marital status - say, for example, you end up in a minor traffic accident with your partner and child in the car. Even if it's just a bent bumper, the police have to be called, and there's every chance they'd ask you if you're married... and if you're not, or you say you are but you can't prove it with a marriage certificate, then you're looking at jail followed by deportation.

As Eva suggests, by far the best thing to do would be for you to come out here by yourself, get everything set up, then go back to the UK to get married and *then* bring the family out. Any other way, you're potentially setting yourself up for more hassle than you can possibly imagine.
only way