Reload this Page >

Abu Dhabi Schools and Places to Live

Abu Dhabi Schools and Places to Live

Old Nov 23rd 2017, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

denizci is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Abu Dhabi Schools and Places to Live

Hi all,

We are moving to AD next year in June (from Kuwait). Already started on the school applications for my 6 year old and got a place from offered at BISAD. Also waitlisted in Brighton and BSAK. I will be working at ADGM in Al Maryah island. looking at the map, the distance between BISAD and my work seems rather huge. Can you recommend convenient places to live - somewhere between my work and BISAD? Or should we just look for another school?

Also, is BISAD any good, I read mixed reviews.

thanks in advance.
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Abu Dhabi Schools and Places to Live

Originally Posted by denizci
Hi all,

We are moving to AD next year in June (from Kuwait). Already started on the school applications for my 6 year old and got a place from offered at BISAD. Also waitlisted in Brighton and BSAK. I will be working at ADGM in Al Maryah island. looking at the map, the distance between BISAD and my work seems rather huge. Can you recommend convenient places to live - somewhere between my work and BISAD? Or should we just look for another school?

Also, is BISAD any good, I read mixed reviews.

thanks in advance.
No kids, however friends have children at Brighton and Repton. Repton is on Al Reem Island which is attached to Al Maryah and would be the least hassle commuting. Lots of apartments available on Al Reem. Plenty to do in the area and convenient for the Corniche, beaches etc.
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

I wouldn't drive from Al Maryah to BISAD daily for a 6 year old - that is a long way, there and back twice a day, and along a busy route. I'd definitely try to find a closer school - as well as the ones mentioned, you could try Cranleigh and the on-island Aldar schools.
How long do you expect to stay in AD? If only for a couple of years, then frankly any of these schools will be fine for a child of that age. If you expect to be here for a long time, then I'd look at Cranleigh, Brighton and BSAK in that order, though the first 2 are a lot more expensive. BISAD does have a mixed reputation - we know people who are very happy with it for their secondary-aged children, but also others much less so.
Old Nov 25th 2017, 4:07 am
Forum Regular

Thanks, we are planning on getting a villa type accommodation as we had enough of apartments here in Kuwait. Therefore, living on island might not be possible due to the presumably more expensive accommodation options there. Also, we have applied for Brighton and BSAK and we are wait-listed for both. Since my son will start year 2 next year, the spots available are relatively limited. So we might have to go with BISAD then transfer him if/when possible. I am told, BISAD is also considered a top tier school alongside with BSAK and Brighton and a coupe of others (Cranleigh etc). ALDAR schools are generally considered as the next tier. Is that correct?

Also, we were recommended Al Forsan as one of the accommodation options. It definitely looks nice. It is also close to the school. I rather minimise the distance between school and the house and commute to work. Obviously, the ideal would be having our house in between my work and my son's school. any other recommendations of places?
Old Nov 25th 2017, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

Villas in Al Forsan are not cheap. If you can afford there you can certainly afford on island. What's your accommodation budget?
Old Nov 26th 2017, 5:17 am
Forum Regular

We did not set a budget as I don't know the details of the package yet (long story!!). However, we are going with what we pay in Kuwait plus some premium added for having a larger place etc. Probably around 200K per annum is what we would like to pay. There are some townhouses advertised around that price in Al Forsan. They seem very large and ticks most of the boxes for our requirements. Would we be able to get similar quality accomodation on the island for that price?
Old Nov 26th 2017, 7:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Prices are dropping a lot, and 200k will get you a decent 4BR villa on island (but definitely not on Saadiyat). It might not be as new and shiny as at Al Forsan, but you'll be a lot closer to school (if you end up at Brighton, BSAK, Cranleigh etc) and work. I don't know how big the townhouses at Al Forsan are, so cannot compare for you. Also, one person's idea of "quality accommodation" will often be different to someone else's, and I don't think you have said what you mean by "larger" (ie how many bedrooms, maids rooms, drivers rooms, majlis etc you expect - you won't get many of the latter for 200k if that matters) - but for sure, you will find what I would regard as a decent sized 4 bed villa on the island, maybe in one of the slightly older, smaller compounds, for that sort of price.
As you are not moving till June, you are far too early to commit to anything (you'll be lucky if they hold a villa for more than a couple of weeks). So I'd focus on getting a school place at your preferred choice and then worry about the housing. Also, not sure how it works in Kuwait, but in Abu Dhabi once you sign a lease it is very expensive to break contract in the first year, so if you have any doubts about the job or probation, always worth considering staying in a hotel or serviced apartment for a month or so while you settle in, and it gives you more time to find a permanent villa. By late June, huge numbers of expats will be moving out, or about to move out, and that is probably the best time of the year to negotiate a lower rent.
Old Dec 25th 2017, 7:56 pm
Just Joined

Dazza1975 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all

Sorry to jump in but we lived in Dubai and had our daughter there. We then moved home to London and are enjoying life however I am in the process of a job offer in AD. Now I used to work by Marina Mall a few years back and enjoyed it, but moving back with wife and child (3yrs) is different.

Any advice on good location for schools and budget of 140k simple 2-3bed is fine.

Thanks
Old Mar 8th 2018, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

Reviving this again....

It is becoming likely that my son will end up in BISAD (we are waitlisted in BSAK, Brighton and ACS) but it does not seem to be looking good, judging by what they say. We already secured a spot at BISAD... so rather than applying for more schools, we will stick with BISAD (also reviews seems to be rather good).

I am now looking at places to live that is convenient. There seems to be a school bus service from various locations but we don't want the ride to be so long. Considering I will be working at Al Maryah island, we are thinking of Gate City or any surrounding areas for a 4 BR villa accommodation for a somewhat in the middle accommodation option... Any recommendations in terms of the areas we should focus on would be much appreciated. Cheers!
Old Mar 11th 2018, 5:22 am
Forum Regular

Gavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really nice

Originally Posted by denizci
Reviving this again....

It is becoming likely that my son will end up in BISAD (we are waitlisted in BSAK, Brighton and ACS) but it does not seem to be looking good, judging by what they say. We already secured a spot at BISAD... so rather than applying for more schools, we will stick with BISAD (also reviews seems to be rather good).

I am now looking at places to live that is convenient. There seems to be a school bus service from various locations but we don't want the ride to be so long. Considering I will be working at Al Maryah island, we are thinking of Gate City or any surrounding areas for a 4 BR villa accommodation for a somewhat in the middle accommodation option... Any recommendations in terms of the areas we should focus on would be much appreciated. Cheers!
Al Forsan Village
Golf Gardens
Al Raha Gardens
Sas Al Nakhl Village
Old Mar 11th 2018, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

thanks very much. Assuming these are in addition to Gate City.... it seems Gate city has the ideal location after all... but Al Raha Gardens have a lot of choices. We have a little exploration trip upcoming prior to our move, I will check all these areas out.
Old Mar 11th 2018, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

You're going to have a cracking commute.
Old Mar 11th 2018, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by csdf
You're going to have a cracking commute.

Well, that does not sound good at all!.... particularly considering my commute in Kuwait has been 15 mins door to door everyday for the last 5 years. I go to work very early - I am there at around 7!... hoping the same formula will help in AD as well.
Old Mar 11th 2018, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

When I take my son to nursery in the morning it's a trip of 19 km. This takes about 50 minutes (including 10 minutes dropping him off).

If you lived in Gate City and went to BISAD and then ADGM, that's around 45km....you do the math, as they say. You'll have the fun insanity of Musaffah rush hour plus the giganto-queue getting back onto the island. It might be slightly better at 7am, but not by much.
Old Mar 11th 2018, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by csdf
When I take my son to nursery in the morning it's a trip of 19 km. This takes about 50 minutes (including 10 minutes dropping him off).

If you lived in Gate City and went to BISAD and then ADGM, that's around 45km....you do the math, as they say. You'll have the fun insanity of Musaffah rush hour plus the giganto-queue getting back onto the island. It might be slightly better at 7am, but not by much.
Plan is to put my son on the school bus (dropping off business would not work for us... it didnt work even in Kuwait with much shorter distances)... So all I will be doing is trying to get to work in the morning and back home in the evening. It seems to be a half an hour ride each way on the google maps... hence the reason we are looking for a place in the middle so he rides one direction and I drive to the opposite direction.