Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Abu Dhabi Prospective

Abu Dhabi Prospective

Old Feb 25th 2018, 9:08 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Abu Dhabi Prospective

It's a very British day today with the grey clouds and wind...just slightly warmer. I went outside at lunchtime to see if it was raining, having not seen any since I came back 6 weeks ago. The air is clearer though after the rain. Can actually see buildings in the distance now!
Old Feb 25th 2018, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Specifically Colombia. The best ones in my opinion too.
So Mini Mill has a thing for strongly curvaceous and lascivious female shapes?

I don't do women so obviously my opinion is meaningless but If I had to pick I'd go for the Argentinian/Chilean ladies. Not so many curves.
Old Feb 25th 2018, 9:39 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
It's a very British day today with the grey clouds and wind...just slightly warmer. I went outside at lunchtime to see if it was raining, having not seen any since I came back 6 weeks ago. The air is clearer though after the rain. Can actually see buildings in the distance now!
It's always great after rain, clears the air beautifully.
Old Feb 25th 2018, 9:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
So Mini Mill has a thing for strongly curvaceous and lascivious female shapes?

I don't do women so obviously my opinion is meaningless but If I had to pick I'd go for the Argentinian/Chilean ladies. Not so many curves
I’m quite into the crazy and curvey combo. My wife is African and generally as mad and stable as a box of frogs.
Old Feb 25th 2018, 10:21 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
It's always great after rain, clears the air beautifully.
Yep, it's one of the best times to take photos.
Old Feb 25th 2018, 10:38 am
Excess Baggage

It's getting wild at the top end of the Palm now. Very windy and some rain. Wonder if we'll see any hail like they've had in Saudi.
Old Feb 25th 2018, 3:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

Yup. My Petrol bill In Dubai was always higher than the UK. Big cars with half the fuel economy and driving 3x the distance.
Err... well, driving a big car with half the fuel economy is your choice, plenty of people get by without falling for that one and seem to cope on a perfectly normal car. Our family weekly commute fuel bill, for 2 small but fairly uneconomic 4x4s is about £45 equivalent (plus extra for longer weekend drives) - I was paying that daily in the UK. And loads of people I know (western expats, in Abu Dhabi) seem to manage to find somewhere to live which is not too far from the school, or just make do with the school busses. Like I said, it just takes a bit of planning and self-discipline, and not feeling you have to keep up with the bling-parade.

I just don't get all this whinging about an inability to live in Abu Dhabi on 100k tax free* a year - there are loads of people doing that, quite happily, making the most of the many other opportunities and experiences that come with being here. I guess none of them frequent this bored.

*yes, I do note and agree that if the OP ends up paying UK taxes, if he/she isn't here long enough, then the package is a lot less attractive.
Old Feb 26th 2018, 3:39 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by archie159
Err... well, driving a big car with half the fuel economy is your choice, plenty of people get by without falling for that one and seem to cope on a perfectly normal car. Our family weekly commute fuel bill, for 2 small but fairly uneconomic 4x4s is about £45 equivalent (plus extra for longer weekend drives) - I was paying that daily in the UK. And loads of people I know (western expats, in Abu Dhabi) seem to manage to find somewhere to live which is not too far from the school, or just make do with the school busses. Like I said, it just takes a bit of planning and self-discipline, and not feeling you have to keep up with the bling-parade.

I just don't get all this whinging about an inability to live in Abu Dhabi on 100k tax free* a year - there are loads of people doing that, quite happily, making the most of the many other opportunities and experiences that come with being here. I guess none of them frequent this bored.

*yes, I do note and agree that if the OP ends up paying UK taxes, if he/she isn't here long enough, then the package is a lot less attractive.
A colleague's wife used to do 100km a day just on the school run (25km each way, twice a day). It blew my mind when he was moaning that her car was in for a 10,000km service every couple of months.

100k is livable but very tight making you beg the question if it's worth it or not.
Old Feb 26th 2018, 3:40 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
My sister commuted from Bedford to London for years - cost about 4 grand on the trains but her company paid for most of it. That's only 50 miles.

It would be horrific if it was by car with fuel costs....especially over longer distances.

N.
Imagine if your company didn't pay for it, you'd have to earn 6,000+ gross to be able to pay for the train fare alone...probably more than any London weighting.
Old Feb 26th 2018, 4:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

A colleague's wife used to do 100km a day just on the school run (25km each way, twice a day). It blew my mind when he was moaning that her car was in for a 10,000km service every couple of months.

100k is livable but very tight making you beg the question if it's worth it or not.
In Dubai 100k a day is quite easy, less so in AD I guess, although I recall my wife reading lots of books at the traffic lights there.

We were around 70k a day on both cars (in Dubai). On a 5k service interval that meant that one was in the garage every month.

100k is doable but tight and it doesn’t compare to 70k in the UK when you have two kids.

40k a month for two kids was seen as just about ok 10 years ago. In a country where inflation runs at 4-5pct per annum, 60 is the new 40.
Old Feb 26th 2018, 4:57 am
Account Closed

40k a month for two kids was seen as just about ok 10 years ago. In a country where inflation runs at 4-5pct per annum, 60 is the new 40.
My attitude to the 40-45k family now is they can live and enjoy themselves but it's the savings that get hurt, so in reality - it's just a choice, it is livable.
Old Feb 26th 2018, 4:57 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Similar to what I do. School run, 33 km each way, twice a day. 5000 km service every month more or less. At least I don't pay for fuel, although it's probably only 500 a month.
Old Feb 27th 2018, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

We have 2 to 3 round trips of 60kms to school a day. We have three cars and a driver. My work is the closest but that is still 50km a day.
Old Mar 4th 2018, 6:09 pm
Just Joined

Moff is an unknown quantity at this point

Imagine if your company didn't pay for it, you'd have to earn 6,000+ gross to be able to pay for the train fare alone...probably more than any London weighting.
from Reading (less than 30min train from Paddington), season travel card is £5,300, season ticket parking at station is £1,850.... additional gross pay required is around £10k on £30k salary and £12.5k on £50k salary... excludes petrol cost of getting to station!
Old Mar 7th 2018, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

Queef Latinah has a reputation beyond reputeQueef Latinah has a reputation beyond reputeQueef Latinah has a reputation beyond reputeQueef Latinah has a reputation beyond reputeQueef Latinah has a reputation beyond reputeQueef Latinah has a reputation beyond reputeQueef Latinah has a reputation beyond reputeQueef Latinah has a reputation beyond reputeQueef Latinah has a reputation beyond reputeQueef Latinah has a reputation beyond reputeQueef Latinah has a reputation beyond repute

To the OP, 100k gbp per year is just not enough.

I have carefully tracked my spending over the past 3 years and on average, I spend 100k gbp per year on organic avocadoes and prostitutes. When I need to save money I switch to the African ones.. (avocadoes).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.