Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Abu Dhabi Move - Questions

Abu Dhabi Move - Questions

Old Jan 21st 2013, 1:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Abu Dhabi Move - Questions

Originally Posted by vik7
That would be a nightmare but something we have thought about. That is why we will be looking for somewhere which takes 2 cheques to mitigate this risk

On a separate note can someone provide me with some recruitment agency names that i can google and call directly as it seems like applying online has done nothing for me for the last number of months!
it doesnt matter if you pay in 24 cheques, you are liable for the whole amount no matter how it is split and how you pay, you cannot just give 2 cheques 1 each 6 months and then leave after 6 months not expecting to have to pay the next cheque, you are still liable, its not the same as the uk, you have to pay for the year, unless you have it written into the contract or it is like a hotel apartment which is done monthly. thats the way it works in abu and also the fact that you need to pay commission for finding the place in the first place.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bingobob777
Sponging off the wife
Dear God..are you a dinosaur?
Old Jan 21st 2013, 2:15 pm
...---...

Fossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busybee2
it doesnt matter if you pay in 24 cheques, you are liable for the whole amount no matter how it is split and how you pay, you cannot just give 2 cheques 1 each 6 months and then leave after 6 months not expecting to have to pay the next cheque, you are still liable, its not the same as the uk, you have to pay for the year, unless you have it written into the contract or it is like a hotel apartment which is done monthly. thats the way it works in abu and also the fact that you need to pay commission for finding the place in the first place.
Well you can cancel mid contract and normally pay a penalty of 2 months payment. Depends on terms of the contract you sign of course
Old Jan 21st 2013, 2:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fossildog
Well you can cancel mid contract and normally pay a penalty of 2 months payment. Depends on terms of the contract you sign of course
not so in abu dhabi. different rules apply for dubai.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 3:07 pm
...---...

Fossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond repute

not so in abu dhabi. different rules apply for dubai.
Beg to differ. just ensure you have this clause in the lease you sign.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

vik7 is an unknown quantity at this point

guys i dont mind having to fork out for additional rent even if we are not there. my main concern is finding a job. Although we can support ourselves on her wage and more comfortably if we use our savings i dont really want to do this. im not the type of person to sit around.

I am literally spending everyday applying for jobs but i hear nothing back even though i think i am perfect for the position. is that because im not out there and have a UAE mobile number or is it simply that there is so much competition?
Old Jan 21st 2013, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

Duvel is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been following this thread silently, would it not be easier to pull out of the contract?

There is a probation period in my contract and either side can invoke it within the first 3 months...

I know you want to experience middle east but surely you can wait until either a better contract or when both can go with a job.

BTW I'm going out in March as well

Last edited by Duvel; Jan 21st 2013 at 4:57 pm.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 5:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beg to differ. just ensure you have this clause in the lease you sign.
beg to differ then, its not a standard clause in an ad lease. if you can get the landlord to change it to be there then thats fine but a lot of the properties are owned and managed by banks and they will not add this clause, as i said in dxb law its different kettle of fish.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 5:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

guys i dont mind having to fork out for additional rent even if we are not there. my main concern is finding a job. Although we can support ourselves on her wage and more comfortably if we use our savings i dont really want to do this. im not the type of person to sit around.

I am literally spending everyday applying for jobs but i hear nothing back even though i think i am perfect for the position. is that because im not out there and have a UAE mobile number or is it simply that there is so much competition?
it can be easier to be "here" to apply for jobs as you would be local hire, and therefore be cheaper to employ.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

vik7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Duvel
I've been following this thread silently, would it not be easier to pull out of the contract?

There is a probation period in my contract and either side can invoke it within the first 3 months...

I know you want to experience middle east but surely you can wait until either a better contract or when both can go with a job.

BTW I'm going out in March as well
Duvel in an ideal world both of us could get a job at the same time but the likelihood of that ever happening is slim. Surely it would be easier for me to get a job when im out there
Old Jan 21st 2013, 6:03 pm
...---...

beg to differ then, its not a standard clause in an ad lease. if you can get the landlord to change it to be there then thats fine but a lot of the properties are owned and managed by banks and they will not add this clause, as i said in dxb law its different kettle of fish.
I never said it was a standard clause, I said ensure it is included in your agreement.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 6:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I never said it was a standard clause, I said ensure it is included in your agreement.
yeh but abu dhabi landlords wont put it in.... very very few will.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 3:37 am
Forum Regular

raining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to all

That would be a nightmare but something we have thought about. That is why we will be looking for somewhere which takes 2 cheques to mitigate this risk

On a separate note can someone provide me with some recruitment agency names that i can google and call directly as it seems like applying online has done nothing for me for the last number of months!
It's worth asking if they'll take more cheques too. It all depends on your landlord but some may take four cheques. We were really lucky and got six which was a massive help to us (no housing allowance) as we didn't have to take on any debt.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 4:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by raining
It's worth asking if they'll take more cheques too. It all depends on your landlord but some may take four cheques. We were really lucky and got six which was a massive help to us (no housing allowance) as we didn't have to take on any debt.
we have no housing allowance just all in, and we started off with 3 cheques and then the landlord decided he wanted 1 cheque but didnt tell us on renewal, tututut, but then he didnt put it up by 5% so we negotiated to 2!