Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Abu Dhabi - Lease car, Rental or Purchase 2nd hand??

Abu Dhabi - Lease car, Rental or Purchase 2nd hand??

Old Apr 3rd 2011, 7:07 am
Just Joined

nicolaqueens is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Abu Dhabi - Lease car, Rental or Purchase 2nd hand??

Hi all, we are relocating to Abu Dhabi in a few months. Accommodations sorted as it's paid for by my hubby's employers. But we need to get a car sorted. I'm just looking into options now. What's the norm for expats, we have a two year contract renewable for further 2 years. So what's easiest, leasing, rental or purchase 2nd hand vehicle? Also can anyone reccommend good websites in relation to leasing and purchsing 2nd hand cars?....Thanks!!
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 7:29 am
Account Closed

weasel central is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Abu Dhabi - Lease car, Rental or Purchase 2nd hand??

second hand ferrari! car is perhaps most sensible. Hire car for a month to see how things are then have a look for a second hand motor.
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 7:38 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by weasel central
second hand ferrari! car is perhaps most sensible. Hire car for a month to see how things are then have a look for a second hand motor.
Yes that's the plan, hire for a month and then hopefully find a good deal on a 2nd hand car.
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 7:55 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

I say shoot the cat. After that, I would recommend buying new if you're confident that you'll be here for 3-4 years, because dealer service will always be better for a car you've bought from them, and warranty is really important. The downside to that is tying up a load of your own dosh in a piece of tin.

Lease hire is bloody expensive here.

Probably the best is to buy secondhand, but ensure that you get a dealer warranty. Its a harsh environment for cars here.

Good luck
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 9:33 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
I say shoot the cat. After that, I would recommend buying new if you're confident that you'll be here for 3-4 years, because dealer service will always be better for a car you've bought from them, and warranty is really important. The downside to that is tying up a load of your own dosh in a piece of tin.

Lease hire is bloody expensive here.

Probably the best is to buy secondhand, but ensure that you get a dealer warranty. Its a harsh environment for cars here.

Good luck
Awesome.

Can anyone recommend websites for secondhand cars in Abu Dhabi?? Do they have like a ebay for cars etc?
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 9:56 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

dubizzle.com
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 9:59 am
Account Closed

Tillybean is an unknown quantity at this point

I would buy second hand or wait for the special offers that are around during Ramadan and Eid.

Check out the notice boards at Spinneys, Abelas etc for someone leaving the country - you may be able to get a good bargain.

www.dubizzle.com is a good starting point for you

I got my jeep second hand via the dealer - warranty was extended and I got a good price.

My first car was bought via the auctions in Dubai but as I know not a lot about cars, my friend went and got it for me. I paid not a lot and sold it two years later for roughly what I had bought.
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

I'd probably buy 2nd hand. japanese, small 4x4, nissan, x-trail, 2006, titanium silver, full v-kool, agency maintained, 80k km, interior trashed by kids, etc, Could probably pick something like that up for about 28,000 AED.

Good luck with your search.

...four new tyres...
Old Apr 4th 2011, 7:57 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you are rolling in money or someone else is paying a new car just isn't worth it normally. As soon as you drive out the showroom the value drops 25% on almost every vehicle.

There are excellent deals from even the bigger resalers on 1-2 year old cars with full service histories and valid warranties...as always don't rely on the salesman but do your own research on any second vehicle and you'll be fine.

As others have said hire for the first few months to get a feel of the roads and the kind of car you'll actually need. It's not easy to take cars back with you so there's no need to waste money as many expats do...save it for the booze and wild parties we always have in Abu Dhabi

N.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 12:26 pm
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute

can i also add that please make sure everything is watertight with the contract before you spend a fortune on a car or two.

There are three people at my ex-work who are now not able to pay off loans and are in a sticky situation because they bought brand new, rather expensive vehicles and their payout isn't matching what they owe (they also have housing loans but add it all together and its just not enough..) My friend just lost many thousands of dirhams handing her seven month old car back to the dealers.

I'd highly recommend giving it a few months to see how the land lies... Things were suspicious at my work after being here for three months so i delayed buying a car and continued using a rental. Eight months down the line I'm rather happy I was paranoid. Saved me losing even more money!