Abu Dhabi job offer / research

Abu Dhabi job offer / research

Old Sep 4th 2015, 8:53 pm
Just Joined

Annemarie_UAE_Plans is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Abu Dhabi job offer / research

Hello all,

I wonder whether you can help me.

I was offered a job in Abu Dhabi yesterday and joined with a little assistance with pending questions regarding the big move.

I was wondering where might be the best place to live that is close enough to commute to Al Ain, with an expat community close by... I was wondering whether there was a 'rent a room' culture safe enough for a single female moving alone from the UK.

Secondly, I wonder what would be the best way to travel/commute? Do expats tend to rent or buy cars?

I've had my salary confirmed - but there are quite a number of hoops to jump through before I catch that flight - so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Annemarie
Old Sep 5th 2015, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Abu Dhabi job offer / research

Have you looked on a map? The area abu dhabi side of Baniyas has really exploded in the last few years. However, it would stil be about an hour an half away (possibly) from Dalma mall.

In terms of room rental, try dubizzle. I'm mostly aware of people paying a year's rent upfront for their property and i believe that the sharing rules are really tough to circumvent.
Old Sep 5th 2015, 5:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Abu Dhabi job offer / research

Abu Dhabi to Al Ain daily would be a hellish commute, even if you are living on the outskirts of Abu Dhabi. Do-able, but a real pain, and if you will be working long hours then I'd strongly suggest you think about living in Al Ain (maybe spending weekends in Abu Dhabi or Dubai if you need more excitement). There is an expat community in Al Ain - nothing like as big as AD or Dubai, but probably a lot more community-spirited.

There's only one way to commute that trip, by car.

Expats both buy and rent cars. There are advantages to both approaches. If you'll be renting, and commuting AD-Al Ain, then you'll need a massive monthly mileage allowance, which will cost much more, and you'll probably want a bigger (safer) car - again, more expensive. That being said, I know someone who commutes Al Ain to a bit short of Abu Dhabi, and swears by his Nissan Tiida as extremely reliable and not requiring much servicing - but he works shorter hours most days, and takes a back road rather than the main motorway as his destination is a bit unusual.