Reload this Page >

Abu Dhabi - Job Offer

Abu Dhabi - Job Offer

Old Feb 11th 2009, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

theboystu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Abu Dhabi - Job Offer

Hello

After some excellent advice on accommodation yesterday from you all whats peoples thoughts on this offer.

I'm 26 and work as an hydrographic surveyor the job would be working for ADMA OPCO.

25000 AED/Month (approx could be a little negotiation in this i reckon)
150000 AED for housing
Furniture allowance
Car allowance

Think i'll be able to save anything or will i be skint?

This is just provisional i've still to receive final details. I know the housing allowance is a bit short from advice on here and will negotiate more or even better ask them to provide accom.

Would people make the move to AD in this current climate. The credit crunch hasn't really hit the oil industry...YET. I can see it coming and as i currently work as a contractor i'll be the first for the boot.

Also had offer from Perth WA.....really confused. Don't want to stay in UK, Don't know where to go :curse:
Old Feb 11th 2009, 12:54 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Abu Dhabi - Job Offer

what offer have you had in Perth? is it better? that would be more of a long term thing.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

The offer from Perth is same kind of work, obviously would have accomodation expenses etc but i think the cost of living in Perth would be lower than AD. Plus i've got mates in the Industry out there. Thinking there might be more to do for a guy my age in Oz, but keeping an open mind.

I've seen this written on a few forums about calculating what your salary/package should be to be worthwhile in the UAE. What do people reckon to it hold any weight?

The general rule of thumb of uk salary +10%-15%, tax free with car, accommodation, fuel, health and school fees would give you a pretty accurate ballpark figure.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 2:25 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

I aint got a clue not lived in UK for 13 years so I am of no help there. I don't even know how much petrol costs apart from alot!! I would try Perth if I was you.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

No that above is for UAE. It was posted somewhere else on this forum but quite a while ago. The OP was saying this is what your package should be to make it worth the move.

What do you think about 25K AED/Month. Enough to live on and save??
Old Feb 12th 2009, 3:38 am
BE Enthusiast

hawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to all

25k per month should be loads for a single guy - you'd be able to keep a family going on that I reckon.
Check your package includes a flight home once a year and medical as well. (Sure it will with ADMA but you should check.)
Housing prices are starting to come down it seems.
We had a mate who moved from here to Perth and came back here within a year cos he was so skint in Perth - they have taxes there remember....!
Old Feb 12th 2009, 5:01 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theboystu
The offer from Perth is same kind of work, obviously would have accomodation expenses etc but i think the cost of living in Perth would be lower than AD. Plus i've got mates in the Industry out there. Thinking there might be more to do for a guy my age in Oz, but keeping an open mind.

I've seen this written on a few forums about calculating what your salary/package should be to be worthwhile in the UAE. What do people reckon to it hold any weight?

The general rule of thumb of uk salary +10%-15%, tax free with car, accommodation, fuel, health and school fees would give you a pretty accurate ballpark figure.
yeah, I'd say that rule of thumb was fair, although just to clarify, in my mind, at least, it'd be:
(UK salary +10-15%) + (what you'd be paying in UK tax) + (car, health, bla bla)

So basically, you'd be pushing for all allowances to be over and above your equivalent UK gross salary, which you would have slightly inflated to give yourself a nice pay-rise anyway!
Old Feb 12th 2009, 11:44 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

mate go for perth
Old Feb 13th 2009, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

What does everybody else think? Would they move to Abu Dhabi given the current recession.

I take it that AD is being affected but hanging on a bit better than Dubai right?
Old Feb 13th 2009, 12:12 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theboystu
What does everybody else think? Would they move to Abu Dhabi given the current recession.

I take it that AD is being affected but hanging on a bit better than Dubai right?
Can't really speak for AbDab, but we've been in Dubai for over 6 years and intend to stay for another 3-5 years. It's not easy, things are expensive but it's also not a bad life if you live within your means.

25'000 a month with accommodation almost paid for is still a decent amount of money and life can be good.

At the end of the day, it's your choice. Good luck and whichever way you choose, commit to it and you can make it happen!
Old Feb 13th 2009, 12:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

its really the accommodation that is the big problem, in dubai you would have so much choice for little money compared to abu dhabi where there is not much choice and very expensive. but with any sort of construction job you just dont know what is going to happen, and if you are last in first out may apply, so i would personally try to avoid any of the ME if there is a better option.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

its really the accommodation that is the big problem, in dubai you would have so much choice for little money compared to abu dhabi where there is not much choice and very expensive.
To be honest that has been my main concern, but i'll see what they say about company accomodation at the interview.

25'000 a month with accommodation almost paid for is still a decent amount of money and life can be good.
Sweet! I hope so!

Thanks everybody for the advice
Old Feb 13th 2009, 1:53 pm
Concierge

do you really want to give up 50% if not more of your salary on rent?
Old Feb 13th 2009, 2:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
do you really want to give up 50% if not more of your salary on rent?
He says he was getting 150,000 a year for rent - surely that has to be enough to get him a one bedder somewhere even on the outskirts of AD... saying that i dont know AD so i dont know where he work place would be!!
Old Feb 13th 2009, 2:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

no no no...... they are splitting big villas, which are not meant to be split so are usually illegal, so then your bedroom will have the stairs in it.... or there will be no bathroom or no kitchen etc... because the ll are just partitioning them off...... stick with doobye and commute much nicer

or go to aa and get a big villa with pink bathrooms for 95k....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.