Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Abu Dhabi and its Fcking stupid rent

Abu Dhabi and its Fcking stupid rent

Old Jul 30th 2009, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

AnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of light
Default Abu Dhabi and its Fcking stupid rent

So whats happening with it? My girlfriend's bedroom costs the equivalent of about $300 Aussie dollars per week (3700 dhs per month) for a single bedroom, shared between the lot of the girls there.

Still no sign of it ****ing off back to more sane levels?
Old Jul 30th 2009, 10:15 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Abu Dhabi and its Fcking stupid rent

Originally Posted by AnotherWorld
So whats happening with it? My girlfriend's bedroom costs the equivalent of about $300 Aussie dollars per week (3700 dhs per month) for a single bedroom, shared between the lot of the girls there.

Still no sign of it ****ing off back to more sane levels?
the deluded and people who are convincing themselves that they have a good enough deal to come here are saying that the prices are dropping..

im looking out for a couple of 2/3 bed appartments and cannot see any signs of a price drop..

someone please correct me with evidence!!
Old Jul 30th 2009, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

AnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of light

Well I just simply could not justify myself giving advice to someone moving to Abu Dhabi without having an apartment provided for them at no cost to themselves. I'm of the opinion that it is someone with extremely poor money management who would advise otherwise.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

spart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by AnotherWorld
Well I just simply could not justify myself giving advice to someone moving to Abu Dhabi without having an apartment provided for them at no cost to themselves. I'm of the opinion that it is someone with extremely poor money management who would advise otherwise.
Agreed. It is backing off in some areas. Al Raha is a case in point. Rents there have come off 120,000 since Dec. In Kalidiyha its come off only 30,000 - some areas are still more popular than others. Single bedders are still pretty dire though - subdivided apartments etc still being offered for OTT rates.
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 6:15 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

I was reading the National briefly today while getting the oil changed in the car...it seems the main driving force behind high rentals in Abu Dhabi is the landlords - nearly all of whom are local and talk to each other and make sure they are charging far too much.

Apparently there are some empty buildings because of these lovely landlords waiting for some big company to step in and take the whole thing - less fuss than renting it to the little people who need it I suppose.

They desperately need a law stating empty units will be subject to a monthly fee paid to the government housing dept (so they can build more housing).

N.
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

Sarahb79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Government are trying to keep money in own emirate too. I've got job offer from Government hospital and can only spend my allowance in AD. Are there many flats out in Al Raha as hospital is Al Rahba.
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 9:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarahb79
Government are trying to keep money in own emirate too. I've got job offer from Government hospital and can only spend my allowance in AD. Are there many flats out in Al Raha as hospital is Al Rahba.
quite often that is the case, company say you have to live in same emirate always been that. no legite flats in rabha unless they are rented by the hospital etc, you are not allowed as expats to rent in local housing areas such as al rabha, nearest will be kca or al raha, and when al reef come on line, inshallah end of year etc.
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 9:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
I was reading the National briefly today while getting the oil changed in the car...it seems the main driving force behind high rentals in Abu Dhabi is the landlords - nearly all of whom are local and talk to each other and make sure they are charging far too much.

Apparently there are some empty buildings because of these lovely landlords waiting for some big company to step in and take the whole thing - less fuss than renting it to the little people who need it I suppose.

They desperately need a law stating empty units will be subject to a monthly fee paid to the government housing dept (so they can build more housing).

N.
has always been the way, this is the difference between ad and dxb landlords here in ad are local, and they all talk between themselves, and say i rented my house for xy and z, and they will not want to loose face, they all decide on the price and they will stick to it. they will leave stuff empty and not accept even 1 k less for it. it has always been the way but in the past there has been enough that you could just leave and move etc. the way to sort it would be to make the landlords pay to get a tenant like they do in every other part of the world, and then they would not want to keep paying up for people to move in etc they would prefer to keep good tenants. its not rocket science,but as the place is run by them will it change.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 5:14 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busybee2
has always been the way, this is the difference between ad and dxb landlords here in ad are local, and they all talk between themselves, and say i rented my house for xy and z, and they will not want to loose face, they all decide on the price and they will stick to it. they will leave stuff empty and not accept even 1 k less for it. it has always been the way but in the past there has been enough that you could just leave and move etc. the way to sort it would be to make the landlords pay to get a tenant like they do in every other part of the world, and then they would not want to keep paying up for people to move in etc they would prefer to keep good tenants. its not rocket science,but as the place is run by them will it change.
If most of the property for rent is over-priced just because they don't want to "loose face" it will result in the inflation of everyday items as companies will be forced to pay more and more on their employees accomodation. It will also drive away people to Dubai (where they will go out and spend their money at the weekend because they no longer live in AD) so overall they are harming their own economy.

Hence the need for someone at the top to make some new laws...they will not listen to expats or "smaller" locals who also struggle with rent here.

Otherwise I suppose we'll all meet up for a beer in Dubai Marina to discuss how many cheques we paid for our apartments in the Gardens - daily or weekly

N.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 6:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
If most of the property for rent is over-priced just because they don't want to "loose face" it will result in the inflation of everyday items as companies will be forced to pay more and more on their employees accomodation. It will also drive away people to Dubai (where they will go out and spend their money at the weekend because they no longer live in AD) so overall they are harming their own economy.

Hence the need for someone at the top to make some new laws...they will not listen to expats or "smaller" locals who also struggle with rent here.

Otherwise I suppose we'll all meet up for a beer in Dubai Marina to discuss how many cheques we paid for our apartments in the Gardens - daily or weekly

N.
you got it, wish they would "get" it. if you have less money in pocket because its gone on the rent, then you wont be going out buying all the cars and boats and trains and etc etc etc.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 7:47 am
Just Joined

samanthak is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

I am in the same position as Sarah, we have got a job at the same hospital, noticed some places to rent at Al Shamkha, some advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sam
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 7:56 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

i have a colleague that rents in Al Bahia..he is not a local..
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
i have a colleague that rents in Al Bahia..he is not a local..
god thats a shite hole, we had our staff living there, we had to move them out. Fck i would hate to live there
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 2:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grace O Malley
god thats a shite hole, we had our staff living there, we had to move them out. Fck i would hate to live there
What's so bad about it? I keep seeing Villas there advertised at bargin prices...
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 4:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by samanthak
Hi there,

I am in the same position as Sarah, we have got a job at the same hospital, noticed some places to rent at Al Shamkha, some advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sam
expats are not allowed to rent in such areas, this is samkha, sahama, bahia, fahal, rahba and so on ...... these areas are local housing areas, they are all the same, they were given to the locals and they are not allowed to rent them out, if they do, and you are caught then they could loose their house, and you would loose your money etc. you would find that most of these "houses" come including water/elec so that they keep it in the nationals name, as they get it for a fraction of the cost compared to an expat, and also it doesnt indicate that expats are living there. those are the rules, obviously a lot of people do rent them, because its cheaper etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.