Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Abu Dhabi going downhill?

Abu Dhabi going downhill?

Old Mar 30th 2008, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

BlackCloud is a jewel in the roughBlackCloud is a jewel in the roughBlackCloud is a jewel in the roughBlackCloud is a jewel in the roughBlackCloud is a jewel in the rough
Default Abu Dhabi going downhill?

Just come back walking through Abu Dhabi city - PJ's, Heroes, then to Hamdan and Electra, As Salam. Used to hold a magical attraction for me but couldn't help but think how dirty, busy and noisy it seems tonight. Maybe it's 'cos I'm not in the best mood but street seemed really busy with people walking across you, cars tooting, buildings half demolished or half built. Was at the public beach a few days ago and it was packed, rubbish, barbeques and tossers everywhere. Something must be amiss as I even dreamt of my UK garden and the fresh smell of the cut lawn. Something must be wrong as i hate mowing the lawns!

I know there are fantastic plans to expand out AD but really thought it was a dive tonight. Am I just a bit grumpy today or has the magic bubble burst - maybe a salary increase will put it right?!
Old Mar 30th 2008, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Abu Dhabi going downhill?

Originally Posted by BlackCloud
Just come back walking through Abu Dhabi city - PJ's, Heroes, then to Hamdan and Electra, As Salam. Used to hold a magical attraction for me but couldn't help but think how dirty, busy and noisy it seems tonight. Maybe it's 'cos I'm not in the best mood but street seemed really busy with people walking across you, cars tooting, buildings half demolished or half built. Was at the public beach a few days ago and it was packed, rubbish, barbeques and tossers everywhere. Something must be amiss as I even dreamt of my UK garden and the fresh smell of the cut lawn. Something must be wrong as i hate mowing the lawns!

I know there are fantastic plans to expand out AD but really thought it was a dive tonight. Am I just a bit grumpy today or has the magic bubble burst - maybe a salary increase will put it right?!
Your just being grumpy! Have you had it for a while?
Put it this way...... UK or AD (I know which one i would choose)
Old Mar 30th 2008, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

I think AD is going through inevitable change and a massive influx of new expats is arriving.

I do expect some of the old timers to start the old "I remember the good old days", shit happens and you just adapt. If you head back to the UK I can bet you'd regret it before long, and if you want the smell of cut grass you can always buy this

http://www.find-me-a-gift.co.uk/fres...ed-candle.html
Old Mar 31st 2008, 6:52 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

I know what you mean...some parts are looking shabby. I've always found it noisy, with rude people who walk across you - but I deal with it as I am just here to work and post in these forums

N.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Chris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
I know what you mean...some parts are looking shabby. I've always found it noisy, with rude people who walk across you - but I deal with it as I am just here to work and post in these forums

N.
Is it not like this in any other city in the world? I bet you most of the rude people are not the local people.
AD is definitely having a facelift and it's going to get worse before it gets better. There is so much money being injected into the place. Give it a bit of time InShallah
Old Mar 31st 2008, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chris79
Is it not like this in any other city in the world? I bet you most of the rude people are not the local people.
AD is definitely having a facelift and it's going to get worse before it gets better. There is so much money being injected into the place.

Understatement of the year. Check out the 2030 Plan for full details of Abu Dhabi's urban development plan. Downtown areas discussed are a mere pinhead

http://www.abudhabi.ae/Sites/Portal/...did=83360.html

Give it a bit of time InShallah
..to 2030 funnily enough ...

Past policies here is to knock down buildings over 30 years old. That will remain I expect until all those built with that shelf life are gone.

Chin up though - we're getting a lovely new beach in Khaladiya
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Ah poor you, you just having a moment dear, i have them all the time!

hamdan and that area has always been ugly and noisy. but def it has gone downhill in the last 2 years

AD has changed tremendously since i came here, and even more so in the last 2 years, some good and some bad, thats life tho

AC
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weescot
..to 2030 funnily enough ...

Past policies here is to knock down buildings over 30 years old. That will remain I expect until all those built with that shelf life are gone.

Chin up though - we're getting a lovely new beach in Khaladiya
Yep thats gonna be fab isnt it

AC
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by benzonar
I think AD is going through inevitable change and a massive influx of new expats is arriving.

I do expect some of the old timers to start the old "I remember the good old days", shit happens and you just adapt. If you head back to the UK I can bet you'd regret it before long, and if you want the smell of cut grass you can always buy this

http://www.find-me-a-gift.co.uk/fres...ed-candle.html
Yes us old timers are saying that and i dont regard it as shit as u put it but truth, AD was a beautiful place 10 years ago, with out rubbish everywhere, pollution, traffic, shall I go on....

Of cource change is inevitable but change is not always all good

SIgned

grumpy od timer
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 4:17 pm
Banned

Sam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annacarna
AD was a beautiful place 10 years ago, with out rubbish everywhere, pollution, traffic, shall I go on....
Ah, Annacarna - our resident misery-guts!

My view is, if you want to live in the big, bad capital city, then you have to accept what city life has to offer - good and bad. What's the point of living in the city, yet yearning for some kind of suburban life?
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sam FTQ
Ah, Annacarna - our resident misery-guts!

My view is, if you want to live in the big, bad capital city, then you have to accept what city life has to offer - good and bad. What's the point of living in the city, yet yearning for some kind of suburban life?
A forum is for all to have their opinion dear without being rude to people when they have a view

You know what Sam you are a nasty little troube maker and thats is exactly why many many people on here simply don't like you.

You send nasty PM's to people and then when the heat gets too hot for you, you run off to a mod

I shall ignore you as others do

Last edited by Grace O Malley; Apr 3rd 2008 at 4:30 pm. Reason: sp
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 4:37 pm
Banned

Sam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annacarna
A forum is for all to have their opionion dear without being rude to people when they have a view

You know what Sam you are a nasty little troube maker and thats is exactly why many many people on here simply don't like you.

You send nasty PM's to people and then when the heat gets too hot for you, you run off to a mod

I shall ignore you as others do
Actually Annacarna, it was you that PM'd me when I was new to BE, pretending to be helpful and asking me about my life. I then told you a whole lot of personal stuff which you then instantly PM'd to other people on the board and which appeared on here within minutes. That was completely out of order, it was nasty and manipulative and a complete and utter abuse of trust.

For the record, I have never sent a nasty PM to anybody. If you can prove me wrong, then go ahead.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sam FTQ
Actually Annacarna, it was you that PM'd me when I was new to BE, pretending to be helpful and asking me about my life. I then told you a whole lot of personal stuff which you then instantly PM'd to other people on the board and which appeared on here within minutes. That was completely out of order, it was nasty and manipulative and a complete and utter abuse of trust.

For the record, I have never sent a nasty PM to anybody. If you can prove me wrong, then go ahead.

Sam you have been at odds with this forum since you first came on it

Your post today was completely out of line and your intent is to cause an argument.

This post again is totally out of line, if you have any problem with me, keep it off the forum, report me to a mod or send me a PM

I am not answering this on the forum it is not what the forum is for

Last edited by Grace O Malley; Apr 3rd 2008 at 4:47 pm. Reason: sp
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

jason4004 is just really nicejason4004 is just really nicejason4004 is just really nicejason4004 is just really nicejason4004 is just really nicejason4004 is just really nicejason4004 is just really nicejason4004 is just really nicejason4004 is just really nicejason4004 is just really nicejason4004 is just really nice
Talking Re: Abu Dhabi going downhill?

Please kiss and make up - it's just not worth it!
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 5:10 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by jason4004
Please kiss and make up - it's just not worth it!
Nah, tried that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.