Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

abu dhabi bound...some questions

abu dhabi bound...some questions

Old Aug 1st 2008, 2:32 am
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 9
friendly bear is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking abu dhabi bound...some questions

hi....possibly on our way to abu dhabi.....new to this but have some questions.....how do kids get to school,is there a bus system like the yellow buses here in canada..........what is the traffic like in the morning rush when kids off to school and husband off to work.......our kids are sports mad and belong to competitive swim clubs,they sail,kayak,windsurf,play rugby....are there competitive clubs for all theses sports in ab...kids are 8&11........with regard to schools,how large are the class sizes,are there restrictions on class size/number of students.......do kids of differing nationalities go to schools from their own background i.e. english kids to schools with english curriculum or do kids go to all manner of schools english kids to say canadian schools......any advice would be fantastic........thankyou.
friendly bear is offline  
Old Aug 1st 2008, 5:00 pm
  #2  
BE Enthusiast
 
Squirty Cream's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Living in a mirage
Posts: 606
Squirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: abu dhabi bound...some questions

Originally Posted by friendly bear View Post
hi....possibly on our way to abu dhabi.....new to this but have some questions.....how do kids get to school,is there a bus system like the yellow buses here in canada..........what is the traffic like in the morning rush when kids off to school and husband off to work.......our kids are sports mad and belong to competitive swim clubs,they sail,kayak,windsurf,play rugby....are there competitive clubs for all theses sports in ab...kids are 8&11........with regard to schools,how large are the class sizes,are there restrictions on class size/number of students.......do kids of differing nationalities go to schools from their own background i.e. english kids to schools with english curriculum or do kids go to all manner of schools english kids to say canadian schools......any advice would be fantastic........thankyou.
The schools are international and there is a Canadian syllabus school. School buses are used.

There is an ice hockey club and then the schools organise stuff as does the British Club and there is horse riding at the equestrian club. Dubai has skiiing and snowboarding, sailing.
You could try googling Time Out Abu Dhabi.

The joy of living here is the mixing of nationalities which kids accept well and they don't tend to differentiate the way adults do, particularly at your children's ages.

Good luck. the Canadian Embassy here might be helpful.
Squirty Cream is offline  
Old Aug 1st 2008, 8:05 pm
  #3  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 5,125
busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: abu dhabi bound...some questions

sorry sq not called british club any more just referred to as the club, rugby on thursday nites at al ghazal golf club for mini rugby good social get to gether as well. i think you need to look at cis in kca as a lot of schools waiting lists, especially the british curriculum ones.
busybee2 is offline  
Old Aug 1st 2008, 8:45 pm
  #4  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 9
friendly bear is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: abu dhabi bound...some questions

Originally Posted by Squirty Cream View Post
The schools are international and there is a Canadian syllabus school. School buses are used.

There is an ice hockey club and then the schools organise stuff as does the British Club and there is horse riding at the equestrian club. Dubai has skiiing and snowboarding, sailing.
You could try googling Time Out Abu Dhabi.

The joy of living here is the mixing of nationalities which kids accept well and they don't tend to differentiate the way adults do, particularly at your children's ages.

Good luck. the Canadian Embassy here might be helpful.
hi,thank you for the info.................i should say that we are english but have lived in canada for a few years..........we are very keen on competitive swimming and sailing for our kids as they currently swim 4/5 times a week and would be great to keep this up...........also still wondering what the traffic is like first thing when kids and OH are on their way out....when at school are the class sizes controlled and how large are they..........many thanks.
friendly bear is offline  
Old Aug 1st 2008, 9:28 pm
  #5  
BE Enthusiast
 
weescot's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
Posts: 887
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: abu dhabi bound...some questions

Abu Dhabi doesn't have such bad traffic in the morning - the island's roads were planned and built on a grid system. Although it gets hot in the summer, it is a good place to persue sports. I lived in Canada briefly and know how well loved sports are! The British Club - rebranded the Club to attract multi national membership - has an active sailing club and there is a brand new public beach in Khaladiya for simming practice. This is the 5th placeI have lived in ouside the UK. I didn't like it to begin with, but now I think Abu Dhabi is the best kept secret in the Middle East.
weescot is offline  
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 9:12 am
  #6  
BE Enthusiast
 
Squirty Cream's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Living in a mirage
Posts: 606
Squirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: abu dhabi bound...some questions

Originally Posted by busybee2 View Post
sorry sq not called british club any more just referred to as the club, rugby on thursday nites at al ghazal golf club for mini rugby good social get to gether as well. i think you need to look at cis in kca as a lot of schools waiting lists, especially the british curriculum ones.
The Club is still referred to as The British Club by non-expats and non-members though - we always seem to argue BB - does this mean we could be friends in real life? Perhaps I'm just not a good enough expat anymore, I've been here too long (more than 20 years)
Squirty Cream is offline  
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 12:49 pm
  #7  
BE Forum Addict
 
Grace O Malley's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Khaladiya Abu Dhabi
Posts: 4,181
Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: abu dhabi bound...some questions

Originally Posted by weescot View Post
Abu Dhabi doesn't have such bad traffic in the morning - the island's roads were planned and built on a grid system. Although it gets hot in the summer, it is a good place to persue sports. I lived in Canada briefly and know how well loved sports are! The British Club - rebranded the Club to attract multi national membership - has an active sailing club and there is a brand new public beach in Khaladiya for simming practice. This is the 5th placeI have lived in ouside the UK. I didn't like it to begin with, but now I think Abu Dhabi is the best kept secret in the Middle East.
Not any more it isnt
Grace O Malley is offline  
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 1:46 pm
  #8  
BE Forum Addict
 
Grace O Malley's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Khaladiya Abu Dhabi
Posts: 4,181
Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: abu dhabi bound...some questions

Originally Posted by Squirty Cream View Post
The Club is still referred to as The British Club by non-expats and non-members though - we always seem to argue BB - does this mean we could be friends in real life? Perhaps I'm just not a good enough expat anymore, I've been here too long (more than 20 years)
gosh Squirty you must have some tales to tell?

What do you think about the changes in the last 2 years?
Grace O Malley is offline  
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 1:52 pm
  #9  
BE Enthusiast
 
weescot's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
Posts: 887
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: abu dhabi bound...some questions

Originally Posted by Squirty Cream View Post
The Club is still referred to as The British Club by non-expats and non-members though - we always seem to argue BB - does this mean we could be friends in real life? Perhaps I'm just not a good enough expat anymore, I've been here too long (more than 20 years)
Nooo - you're a good expat Squirty! Do continue to share your wisdom and experience! And spill the beans on your thoughts about the changes and pace of change here... Annacarna has asked a good question.
weescot is offline  
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 1:54 pm
  #10  
BE Forum Addict
 
Grace O Malley's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Khaladiya Abu Dhabi
Posts: 4,181
Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: abu dhabi bound...some questions

Originally Posted by weescot View Post
Nooo - you're a good expat Squirty! Do continue to share your wisdom and experience! And spill the beans on your thoughts about the changes and pace of change here... Annacarna has asked a good question.
we will have to get her out one night and get her pissed. Bet she used to go to all those crazy parties at the ahem big house
Grace O Malley is offline  
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 3:58 pm
  #11  
BE Enthusiast
 
Squirty Cream's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Living in a mirage
Posts: 606
Squirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: abu dhabi bound...some questions

Originally Posted by annacarna View Post
we will have to get her out one night and get her pissed. Bet she used to go to all those crazy parties at the ahem big house

Don't forget my early stamping ground was Dubai, Sharjah and everywhere in between before it got sodded up and invaded.

I'm up for a night of drinking and telling tales..........when do you fancy - be quite nice to reminisce.
Squirty Cream is offline  
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 4:02 pm
  #12  
BE Enthusiast
 
weescot's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
Posts: 887
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: abu dhabi bound...some questions

Originally Posted by Squirty Cream View Post
Don't forget my early stamping ground was Dubai, Sharjah and everywhere in between before it got sodded up and invaded.

I'm up for a night of drinking and telling tales..........when do you fancy - be quite nice to reminisce.
Next weekend? It is about time we had another little gathering. I'll start a thread to see the level of interest.
weescot is offline  
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 4:05 pm
  #13  
BE Forum Addict
 
Grace O Malley's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Khaladiya Abu Dhabi
Posts: 4,181
Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: abu dhabi bound...some questions

Originally Posted by Squirty Cream View Post
Don't forget my early stamping ground was Dubai, Sharjah and everywhere in between before it got sodded up and invaded.

I'm up for a night of drinking and telling tales..........when do you fancy - be quite nice to reminisce.
Looks like weescott on the job!

You changed your pic, what is ?? Where are your FMN shoes gone????
Grace O Malley is offline  
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 4:45 pm
  #14  
BE Enthusiast
 
Squirty Cream's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Living in a mirage
Posts: 606
Squirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: abu dhabi bound...some questions

Originally Posted by annacarna View Post
Looks like weescott on the job!

You changed your pic, what is ?? Where are your FMN shoes gone????
They'll be back, I 'm doing the beautiful feet thing at the moment, need to find some red toenails though. FMN shoes returning shortly.
Squirty Cream is offline  
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 6:32 am
  #15  
tdd
Just Joined
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 8
tdd is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: abu dhabi bound...some questions

Hi
I am coming to AD soon, my son is booked into Year 2 at Al Yasmina (we wanted BSAK but no way to get a place) so I hope it is OK and not too big (he is at a small village school at mo and this one is massive!)
It does not look like it will be finished on time, does anyone have any info? I am out here at the mo (we have a serviced apartment til we find somewhere ) but really not sure where to look, Al Raha or town! Any ideas gratefully received.
I am giving up busy job but want to do some work, are part time jobs normal? (want to work it around school).
I had thought of joining The Club just for meeting people and my son to play but some funny reports on it on another forum on here, stuffy etc, is that the case? I am not stuffy at all but want somewhere to go after school so he can swim, meet friends and we can just relax!
tdd is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.