Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

abu dhabi bound...some questions

abu dhabi bound...some questions

Old Aug 1st 2008, 2:32 am
Just Joined

friendly bear is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking abu dhabi bound...some questions

hi....possibly on our way to abu dhabi.....new to this but have some questions.....how do kids get to school,is there a bus system like the yellow buses here in canada..........what is the traffic like in the morning rush when kids off to school and husband off to work.......our kids are sports mad and belong to competitive swim clubs,they sail,kayak,windsurf,play rugby....are there competitive clubs for all theses sports in ab...kids are 8&11........with regard to schools,how large are the class sizes,are there restrictions on class size/number of students.......do kids of differing nationalities go to schools from their own background i.e. english kids to schools with english curriculum or do kids go to all manner of schools english kids to say canadian schools......any advice would be fantastic........thankyou.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 5:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Squirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: abu dhabi bound...some questions

Originally Posted by friendly bear
hi....possibly on our way to abu dhabi.....new to this but have some questions.....how do kids get to school,is there a bus system like the yellow buses here in canada..........what is the traffic like in the morning rush when kids off to school and husband off to work.......our kids are sports mad and belong to competitive swim clubs,they sail,kayak,windsurf,play rugby....are there competitive clubs for all theses sports in ab...kids are 8&11........with regard to schools,how large are the class sizes,are there restrictions on class size/number of students.......do kids of differing nationalities go to schools from their own background i.e. english kids to schools with english curriculum or do kids go to all manner of schools english kids to say canadian schools......any advice would be fantastic........thankyou.
The schools are international and there is a Canadian syllabus school. School buses are used.

There is an ice hockey club and then the schools organise stuff as does the British Club and there is horse riding at the equestrian club. Dubai has skiiing and snowboarding, sailing.
You could try googling Time Out Abu Dhabi.

The joy of living here is the mixing of nationalities which kids accept well and they don't tend to differentiate the way adults do, particularly at your children's ages.

Good luck. the Canadian Embassy here might be helpful.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 8:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

sorry sq not called british club any more just referred to as the club, rugby on thursday nites at al ghazal golf club for mini rugby good social get to gether as well. i think you need to look at cis in kca as a lot of schools waiting lists, especially the british curriculum ones.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

friendly bear is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Squirty Cream
The schools are international and there is a Canadian syllabus school. School buses are used.

There is an ice hockey club and then the schools organise stuff as does the British Club and there is horse riding at the equestrian club. Dubai has skiiing and snowboarding, sailing.
You could try googling Time Out Abu Dhabi.

The joy of living here is the mixing of nationalities which kids accept well and they don't tend to differentiate the way adults do, particularly at your children's ages.

Good luck. the Canadian Embassy here might be helpful.
hi,thank you for the info.................i should say that we are english but have lived in canada for a few years..........we are very keen on competitive swimming and sailing for our kids as they currently swim 4/5 times a week and would be great to keep this up...........also still wondering what the traffic is like first thing when kids and OH are on their way out....when at school are the class sizes controlled and how large are they..........many thanks.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

Abu Dhabi doesn't have such bad traffic in the morning - the island's roads were planned and built on a grid system. Although it gets hot in the summer, it is a good place to persue sports. I lived in Canada briefly and know how well loved sports are! The British Club - rebranded the Club to attract multi national membership - has an active sailing club and there is a brand new public beach in Khaladiya for simming practice. This is the 5th placeI have lived in ouside the UK. I didn't like it to begin with, but now I think Abu Dhabi is the best kept secret in the Middle East.
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Squirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busybee2
sorry sq not called british club any more just referred to as the club, rugby on thursday nites at al ghazal golf club for mini rugby good social get to gether as well. i think you need to look at cis in kca as a lot of schools waiting lists, especially the british curriculum ones.
The Club is still referred to as The British Club by non-expats and non-members though - we always seem to argue BB - does this mean we could be friends in real life? Perhaps I'm just not a good enough expat anymore, I've been here too long (more than 20 years)
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weescot
Abu Dhabi doesn't have such bad traffic in the morning - the island's roads were planned and built on a grid system. Although it gets hot in the summer, it is a good place to persue sports. I lived in Canada briefly and know how well loved sports are! The British Club - rebranded the Club to attract multi national membership - has an active sailing club and there is a brand new public beach in Khaladiya for simming practice. This is the 5th placeI have lived in ouside the UK. I didn't like it to begin with, but now I think Abu Dhabi is the best kept secret in the Middle East.
Not any more it isnt
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

The Club is still referred to as The British Club by non-expats and non-members though - we always seem to argue BB - does this mean we could be friends in real life? Perhaps I'm just not a good enough expat anymore, I've been here too long (more than 20 years)
gosh Squirty you must have some tales to tell?

What do you think about the changes in the last 2 years?
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

Nooo - you're a good expat Squirty! Do continue to share your wisdom and experience! And spill the beans on your thoughts about the changes and pace of change here... Annacarna has asked a good question.
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by weescot
Nooo - you're a good expat Squirty! Do continue to share your wisdom and experience! And spill the beans on your thoughts about the changes and pace of change here... Annacarna has asked a good question.
we will have to get her out one night and get her pissed. Bet she used to go to all those crazy parties at the ahem big house
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by annacarna
we will have to get her out one night and get her pissed. Bet she used to go to all those crazy parties at the ahem big house

Don't forget my early stamping ground was Dubai, Sharjah and everywhere in between before it got sodded up and invaded.

I'm up for a night of drinking and telling tales..........when do you fancy - be quite nice to reminisce.
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 4:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Don't forget my early stamping ground was Dubai, Sharjah and everywhere in between before it got sodded up and invaded.

I'm up for a night of drinking and telling tales..........when do you fancy - be quite nice to reminisce.
Next weekend? It is about time we had another little gathering. I'll start a thread to see the level of interest.
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Looks like weescott on the job!

You changed your pic, what is ?? Where are your FMN shoes gone????
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by annacarna
Looks like weescott on the job!

You changed your pic, what is ?? Where are your FMN shoes gone????
They'll be back, I 'm doing the beautiful feet thing at the moment, need to find some red toenails though. FMN shoes returning shortly.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 6:32 am
tdd
Just Joined

tdd is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: abu dhabi bound...some questions

Hi
I am coming to AD soon, my son is booked into Year 2 at Al Yasmina (we wanted BSAK but no way to get a place) so I hope it is OK and not too big (he is at a small village school at mo and this one is massive!)
It does not look like it will be finished on time, does anyone have any info? I am out here at the mo (we have a serviced apartment til we find somewhere ) but really not sure where to look, Al Raha or town! Any ideas gratefully received.
I am giving up busy job but want to do some work, are part time jobs normal? (want to work it around school).
I had thought of joining The Club just for meeting people and my son to play but some funny reports on it on another forum on here, stuffy etc, is that the case? I am not stuffy at all but want somewhere to go after school so he can swim, meet friends and we can just relax!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.