Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

abu dhabi bound...some questions

abu dhabi bound...some questions

Old Aug 3rd 2008, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: abu dhabi bound...some questions

Originally Posted by tdd
Hi
I am coming to AD soon, my son is booked into Year 2 at Al Yasmina (we wanted BSAK but no way to get a place) so I hope it is OK and not too big (he is at a small village school at mo and this one is massive!)
It does not look like it will be finished on time, does anyone have any info? I am out here at the mo (we have a serviced apartment til we find somewhere ) but really not sure where to look, Al Raha or town! Any ideas gratefully received.
I am giving up busy job but want to do some work, are part time jobs normal? (want to work it around school).
I had thought of joining The Club just for meeting people and my son to play but some funny reports on it on another forum on here, stuffy etc, is that the case? I am not stuffy at all but want somewhere to go after school so he can swim, meet friends and we can just relax!
There is a waiting list for membership of the british club.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad
There is a waiting list for membership of the british club.
I am going down on Tuesday for the official tour so will report back how long the wait is at the moment and what their future plans are regarding relocation of the Club.

I know the wait is longer for families, but here are other alternative private clubs to consider!
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 11:39 am
tdd
Just Joined

tdd is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes thanks heard about the waiting list. Would be interesting to hear your feedback weescot re trip there this week.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 5:11 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tdd
Yes thanks heard about the waiting list. Would be interesting to hear your feedback weescot re trip there this week.
it took us 6 months to get membership, that was with 3 members putting our name forward. Its pretty good place, but just a little out of the way for us to be honest..

Times i have been there in 6 months = 1
Old Aug 4th 2008, 5:55 am
tdd
Just Joined

tdd is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you got kids that go tho? Thats like the times I go to Cannons my local gym, paid a fortune and hardly went! 6 months is a long time tho! My partner has temporary membership which I can get when I come out but you can only do that before you get residency. Do you know also whether my son can start school without residency (if it is applied for but not given). No replies from the schools.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 6:29 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't have a residents visa your son can still start school but the school will need a letter from your husband's company stating that the visas are currently being processed - usually schools will send you a proforma showing the wording needed for the letter. They like to see the visa pretty soon after starting though. Re the British Club (now called The Club but still known as the British Club by taxis etc) - in my opinion it is OK if you have kids as it's a good meeting place but it is well used and sometimes difficult to get sunbeds etc at the weekend.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by tdd
Have you got kids that go tho? .
my wife went in the mornings, but its nearly 50 mins from Al Raha Gardens. We now live in mangrove which obviously albeit on a greatly reduced scale has all the facilities we require so there is no need to go to the Club.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 10:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

if you live off the island i wouldnt bother with the club its too far, when we lived onisland we only went once a week, and it wouldbe too far to go and you probably wouldnt do it much, if you have schooling etc in town you could go at the end of the day but we only ever used it once a week.