Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Abu Dhabi apartments - Al Ain building, WTC, Wave Tower...

Abu Dhabi apartments - Al Ain building, WTC, Wave Tower...

Old Mar 9th 2017, 9:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Abu Dhabi apartments - Al Ain building, WTC, Wave Tower...

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
WTC windows don't open.
That's a game changer.

I could never live in a place where I couldn't open the windows.

I also have a balcony. I never use it, but the option of using it does help with the cabin fever. It's also got a massive window I can open to air the place... well, it's actually a door.
Old Mar 9th 2017, 9:31 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
you'll never use the balcony.
Wrong.

I have two.

One for hanging the washing on.
One with seating and some plants and shit.

Granted - it's mainly used for smoking.
BUT - with a nice view, which we're lucky enough to have, along with the morning sunshine, at a weekend this time of year it's ****ing bliss out there.
Old Mar 9th 2017, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

dominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
WTC windows don't open.

There are days when you wished you could fling open the windows and balcony door and let the fresh air fill up the apartment.

It's nice. It's what I did all the time in Dubai. Except for the bits when it was blistering hot or too cold or too dusty or rainy
WTC windows do open. At least they did in every apartment I saw there.

Not a replacement for a balcony but still better than being totally sealed in
Old Mar 9th 2017, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

dominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond repute

Even if I don’t use the balcony loads I expect it to give me pleasure just to have it. Wow factor of a balcony with a great view. And I’d definitely try my best to grow some plants out there, put a small table and chairs etc.

Another advantage is that because it wraps all around the flat it means I can clean the windows whenever I need to, rather than waiting for the guys on ropes to come 3 times a year.
Old Mar 9th 2017, 11:01 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by dominoman
Another advantage is that because it wraps all around the flat it means I can clean the windows whenever I need to, rather than waiting for the guys on ropes to come 3 times a year.
Proper ****ing chuckle at this one.

That's hilarious.
Old Mar 9th 2017, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

uspurs is an unknown quantity at this point

We looked at both, but ended up staying in an older apartment in Khalidiya. 3BRs, maybe 1800 square ft, view of the water and 130K - no parking, bring your own appliances though.

We are on Zayed the First and almost all the buildings between the Sheraton and Al Ain tower have rental signs up - never seen that before in our 3 years here. And the landlords are starting to get the message re rents.

Might be worth looking at a couple of places - near the Al Ain, there's a building called the Crescent (I think), right above the JLR Ford dealership; it's 3 towers, with apartments of all sizes. One tower has I think just been reno'ed. Parking; pool on the roof, I think.
Nearer us, the Stan Chart building is OK, as are the two adjacent. Get an apartment on the back and get a view of the water.

I would check out Al Ain tower in the evening - particularly Thursday; that plaza in front is a proper zoo, for some reason. There's a coffee place nearby that seems to attract rather noisy cars - they seem to need to circle the plaza.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by dominoman
Well I have now moved out of the (dry) Rotana Khaliya palace hotel into the Courtyard Marriott in World Trade Centre.

It's a lovely hotel. New, easy-going and with a decent (though fairly quiet) rooftop bar. There's a friendly cafe downstairs that also does the room service food and the prices are sensible, like 40 AED for a massive club sandwich with chips. Overall I really like it here!

But anyway, I still need to decide where to live when I drag myself out of the comfort of having everything done for me. Wife + baby moves here end of May so will need a place by then.

My shortlist remains Al Ain Tower and WTC Apartments.

For me:

Al Ain Tower Pros: Great balcony! Nice area with shops. Not above a mall so would force me to explore more.

WTC Apartment Pros: More modern. Nicer kitchen (with all goods supplied). WTC mall. Walkeable to work so I don't need a car for now.

Help me decide!

Does anyone here live in either of these buildings?
Old Feb 14th 2018, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

ShirleyG102 is a name known to allShirleyG102 is a name known to allShirleyG102 is a name known to allShirleyG102 is a name known to allShirleyG102 is a name known to allShirleyG102 is a name known to allShirleyG102 is a name known to allShirleyG102 is a name known to allShirleyG102 is a name known to allShirleyG102 is a name known to allShirleyG102 is a name known to all

So where did you end up, Dominoman? And are you happy?

I’ve just moved to AD - saw a ton of flats yesterday - Etihad Towers, Nation Towers, Marasy, etc. Couldn’t see Al Ain as nothing was available. So confused!!!

Anyone have any insights on Marasy? Love it for the balcony, but it feels a bit cut off from everything.
Old Feb 14th 2018, 7:48 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ShirleyG102
Anyone have any insights on Marasy? Love it for the balcony, but it feels a bit cut off from everything.
Friends of ours live there, and like it. It will be nice when the building works are finished, but that won't be for years. The marina area has developed a lot more shops recently, which makes it more pleasant, and they like the ability to walk around quite the shore to the Intercontinental. They also keep a small boat in one of the marinas there (there are 3), which is a big attraction to them. I am sure the owners will try to put the prices up as/when the building works finish, so you might get a better rate now. The road approaching gets quite chaotic at start and end of work time... but doesn't seem to be completely off-putting.
Old Feb 14th 2018, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

ShirleyG102 is a name known to allShirleyG102 is a name known to allShirleyG102 is a name known to allShirleyG102 is a name known to allShirleyG102 is a name known to allShirleyG102 is a name known to allShirleyG102 is a name known to allShirleyG102 is a name known to allShirleyG102 is a name known to allShirleyG102 is a name known to allShirleyG102 is a name known to all

This is very useful info - thank you so much!

The apartment I saw was at the back (not facing the marina), and had a view of some sort of port / repair yard for boats. Any idea what that is, as the agent didn’t know? Beyond that, the water looked gorgeous.

I’ll go again and have a look at shops, but for now only saw a restaurant.

Originally Posted by archie159
Friends of ours live there, and like it. It will be nice when the building works are finished, but that won't be for years. The marina area has developed a lot more shops recently, which makes it more pleasant, and they like the ability to walk around quite the shore to the Intercontinental. They also keep a small boat in one of the marinas there (there are 3), which is a big attraction to them. I am sure the owners will try to put the prices up as/when the building works finish, so you might get a better rate now. The road approaching gets quite chaotic at start and end of work time... but doesn't seem to be completely off-putting.
Old Feb 14th 2018, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ShirleyG102
The apartment I saw was at the back (not facing the marina), and had a view of some sort of port / repair yard for boats. Any idea what that is, as the agent didn’t know?
That's exactly what it is. There are several boatyards, boat engine sales/repair places etc around there, so I don't know which one you were overlooking. It is also one of the last places in this city where they still make wooden dhows. If you are thinking of getting a boat then you couldn't be better located! There are also a couple of diving centres around there.
Old Feb 15th 2018, 5:08 am
Forum Regular

Thanks a lot, Archie159!

Not planning to get a boat (too many other things to do, as we’ve just arrived in AD!), but will definitely go back and see the development again - the back view wasn’t manicured like the marina view, but it seemed to be quite charming in the few seconds I saw it.

Originally Posted by archie159
That's exactly what it is. There are several boatyards, boat engine sales/repair places etc around there, so I don't know which one you were overlooking. It is also one of the last places in this city where they still make wooden dhows. If you are thinking of getting a boat then you couldn't be better located! There are also a couple of diving centres around there.
Old Jun 28th 2018, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

pupdawg82 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Dominoman - Where did you end up finally? Did your employer provide temp accommodation at hotel initially or was it from your pocket?

Does your employer have any policy to provide temp accommodation for new employees in some apartment for first few weeks?

Thanks