Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Abu Dhabi - Advice please

Abu Dhabi - Advice please

Old Mar 17th 2008, 2:49 pm
Just Joined

Marty 1980 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Abu Dhabi - Advice please

Im moving to Abu Dhabi with my girlfriend next month to work. We are in our late twenties and looking at a 2 year stint. Our packages are 30K and 23K Dirhams a month. What sort of lifestyle will this afford us when we are out there? We hope to save some money, but at the same time enjoy our time there, will this be possible?

Should have asked this question before but hey grateful for any feedback.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 3:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Abu Dhabi - Advice please

Originally Posted by Marty 1980
Im moving to Abu Dhabi with my girlfriend next month to work. We are in our late twenties and looking at a 2 year stint. Our packages are 30K and 23K Dirhams a month. What sort of lifestyle will this afford us when we are out there? We hope to save some money, but at the same time enjoy our time there, will this be possible?

marty...welcome...do a search, packages have been discussed to death on here and you'll get some useful info. Accomodation is the biggest expense...are you sorted on that...?

MM, xx
Old Mar 17th 2008, 3:44 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Obviously until you are legally married, you will have to live in separate accommodation but you presumably knew that already.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

thanks for the reply, yes we get put up in my companys villa in Al Raha Gardens Khalifa City for the first 3 months, then we have to look for a place to rent. We would hope for say a 2 bed as close to the sea as we can afford, easier said than done??
Old Mar 17th 2008, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

yeah i did know that, so how do I get round it?
Old Mar 17th 2008, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think you could possibly survive and would forget all about going if I was you.

(Have to do something to put people off or there won't be any apartments left for me when I get out there)
Old Mar 17th 2008, 3:57 pm
Just Joined

so accommodation is really that bad?!!
Old Mar 17th 2008, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

Errrrr.........yes!!

You'd be much better off moving to somewhere like.....ermmm....Watford!
Old Mar 17th 2008, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

nice try!
Old Mar 17th 2008, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

read the fine print in Benzonar's post.......
Old Mar 17th 2008, 5:07 pm
Just Joined

its ok Indie just a bit of sarcasm
Old Mar 17th 2008, 6:34 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,
Are you in Construction-working on the Airport project?

Are you expected to pay your own utility bills from 55k?
You will really need to hit the ground running-get your Visa sorted
asap after landing so that you are in a position to contract a Lease
if you are fortunate enough to find a property you both like
Something near the 'sea'-kinda limits you to the Corniche.
Seashore Villas are 'shoreline' with a lovely panorama of the refinery.400,000
My advice to you would be- forget the Property Agents and their 5%,
Phone First Gulf Bank Real Estate Department every day asking what they have available.You will pay Commission to the Bank yes but they will not hike the rent up 20k every time you move another stage forward in the rental process.First Gulf are Landlords of a huge amount of property in AD the reserves of which do change on a daily basis.Also,get out and visit the Watchmen in towers& compounds-they know what's available if you ask them nicely.I think you will be looking at upwards of 160k for any decent 2 bed on island.If you like Al Raha Gardens-get onto Mohamed at Aldar immediately and try and rent from him- villas at 230k were 185 in Novemeber...........

PS. I don't work for First Gulf.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

BlackCloud is a jewel in the roughBlackCloud is a jewel in the roughBlackCloud is a jewel in the roughBlackCloud is a jewel in the roughBlackCloud is a jewel in the rough

You will need to be a little careful coming as an unmarried couple. The police theoretically can come knocking on your door anytime although it's not likely they will unless someone makes trouble for you. I wouldn't upset the neighbours if you are living in a block with mixed nationalities. Best pass yourselves off as married in conversation with neighbours! Potentially you may encounter some issues with joint names on tenancies or any legal paperwork if you are unmarried at the same address so you have to consider this issue.

Rents are rocketing up. Two bedroom apartments in city even downtown around 120,000 even more. Occasionally you can strike lucky if you know someone. If your income is 30 plus 23 and rent was already paid then not so bad. Utilities are a lot cheaper than UK.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 7:44 pm