Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Abu Dhabi ... 2030

Abu Dhabi ... 2030

Old Jul 2nd 2008, 7:01 pm
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Abu Dhabi ... 2030

The movie says it all ...

Old Jul 3rd 2008, 6:40 am
Here comes the Sun

twinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Abu Dhabi ... 2030

Originally Posted by Miss Eck View Post

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Yz-hguqZCKg
Wow that looks nice!

If most of the jobs out here are construction and the place is built where will all these people come from?
I thought those jet ski's were going to hit those people on the beach then!
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 6:41 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twinkle-star View Post
Wow that looks nice!

If most of the jobs out here are construction and the place is built where will all these people come from?
Dont worry, in real life they do...
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 8:42 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

A really nice presentation. Not sure about the four main themes: green, live, work and connection. What happened to...play?
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 9:59 am
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twinkle-star View Post
Wow that looks nice!

It does look very cool indeed.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 5:39 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart View Post
A really nice presentation. Not sure about the four main themes: green, live, work and connection. What happened to...play?
Connect 4 is a game innit?

Great piece of film Ms Eck........an excellent solution to the Dubai v Abu Dhabi
question often posted herein
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 6:26 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

I have to admire their sheer brass neck in respect of the "green" aspect of the plan. Green (in the eco-friendly sense, anyway) is the last thing any development in the UAE will ever be. The more people you bring in to a desert area, the more water you have to desalinate, the more air-conditioning you have to install, the more power you have to generate to run the desalination plants and the aircon units... and that's just the start.

The UAE doesn't have a carbon footprint so much as a massive flabby-cheeked carbon arse-print.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 6:32 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eeyore View Post
I have to admire their sheer brass neck in respect of the "green" aspect of the plan. Green (in the eco-friendly sense, anyway) is the last thing any development in the UAE will ever be. The more people you bring in to a desert area, the more water you have to desalinate, the more air-conditioning you have to install, the more power you have to generate to run the desalination plants and the aircon units... and that's just the start.

The UAE doesn't have a carbon footprint so much as a massive flabby-cheeked carbon arse-print.
Masdar is endorsed by Norman Foster but you will know best of course.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 7:08 pm
same shit different day

Slingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond repute

initiatives such as this are new to a lot of people here. Abu Dhabi took a decision to embrace renewable and sustainable energy technologies. As the first major hydrocarbon-producing nation to take such a step, it has established its leadership position by launching the Masdar Initiative, a global cooperative platform for open engagement in the search for solutions to some of mankind's most pressing issues: energy security, climate change and truly sustainable human development.

more and more companies are addressing green issues and starting to think about the environment, it may be a long way off before Abu Dhabi or the UAE reach the standards of some of the scandinavians but remember Rome was not built in a day

do you reduce, reuse, recyle?
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 8:04 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Slingshot View Post
it has established its leadership position by launching the Masdar Initiative
Didn't someone point out that once Masdar is complete, it will take something like 130 years before it has offset the environmental damage caused by its own construction?

it may be a long way off before Abu Dhabi or the UAE reach the standards of some of the scandinavians
That's the problem, though. They will never be able to. Unavoidable environmental factors here mitigate against it.

Even taking things like water desalination and aircon out of the equation, if it truly means what it says about going green, the UAE needs to cut down drastically on private car use. That's going to be a problem for all the people who consider being able to run a massive 4x4 or ultra-thirsty sports car on cheap petrol as some kind of God-given right of living here.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 4:36 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

initiatives such as this are new to a lot of people here. Abu Dhabi took a decision to embrace renewable and sustainable energy technologies. As the first major hydrocarbon-producing nation to take such a step, it has established its leadership position by launching the Masdar Initiative, a global cooperative platform for open engagement in the search for solutions to some of mankind's most pressing issues: energy security, climate change and truly sustainable human development.

more and more companies are addressing green issues and starting to think about the environment, it may be a long way off before Abu Dhabi or the UAE reach the standards of some of the scandinavians but remember Rome was not built in a day

Exactly Slingshot-of course it ain't gonna change overnight but addressing the issue and raising awareness together with Masdar Project just might make a little difference- then again we could all just do as some seem to want to: sit around on their flabby arse criticising it-all that hot air?? bad for the environment heehaw.

I live here, there and everywhere.When I am in ME, I find it really difficult as I am on automatic pilot :green box, black box, blue box- a la international colour code for reducing, reusing and recycling.

Here's the thing. You know how thousands of people send their laundry out?
In Abu Dhabi I did/will do.............but I hated chucking all the wire hangers. Crapola for clothes and not fit for the closet however there must be some use and some value in them.I often thought I'd ask some of the construction workers or maids if they wanted a coupla hundred rather than bin them-but maybe they'd think I was mad(surely not).
Can they be recycled say ....as Kia's or chainmail vests or anything?

Didn't someone point out that once Masdar is complete, it will take something like 130 years before it has offset the environmental damage caused by its own construction?

That's the problem, though. They will never be able to. Unavoidable environmental factors here mitigate against it.

Even taking things like water desalination and aircon out of the equation, if it truly means what it says about going green, the UAE needs to cut down drastically on private car use. That's going to be a problem for all the people who consider being able to run a massive 4x4 or ultra-thirsty sports car on cheap petrol as some kind of God-given right of living here.
Surely its better to try than just sit around moaning about it Education.education, education- to quote a recent 'blot on the landscape'
Can I get personal? If its so bad Eeyore, why do you choose to expose your child to it?

Last edited by Eva; Jul 4th 2008 at 4:39 pm. Reason: Punctuation
Old Jul 4th 2008, 5:00 pm
Soupy twist

Originally Posted by Eva View Post
Surely its better to try than just sit around moaning about it
As far as research is concerned, I don't see what Masdar is going to do that isn't already being done all over the planet.

I honestly see it as a bit of window-dressing. It's there to make the UAE look environmentally-aware, even as it pursues policies that are actively going to do nothing more than increase the damage the country inflicts on the environment.

If its so bad Eeyore, why do you choose to expose your child to it?
We didn't have a child when we came here. And I didn't do enough research before we came to realise just how major an environmental disaster the UAE is. I was genuinely shocked when I discovered that, in per capita terms, the UAE is a bigger climate criminal than the USA.

We do want to move to a more actively eco-friendly country, and hopefully we'll be able to within the next couple of years.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 5:17 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

As far as research is concerned, I don't see what Masdar is going to do that isn't already being done all over the planet.
Your original point surely is that UAE- is out of kilter with the rest of the planet.If Masdar makes two people carpool is that a result-not a gain, a result? (One step at a time) I honestly see it as a bit of window-dressing. It's there to make the UAE look environmentally-aware, even as it pursues policies that are actively going to do nothing more than increase the damage the country inflicts on the environment.
Concensus here- you and me.
UAE are better window dressers than the Christmas team at Macys or Harrods- not just environmental issues either!However 'tis only 32 years old and basis is in dirty industry.Comparing it to USA is like comparing apples and pears.
We didn't have a child when we came here. And I didn't do enough research before we came to realise just how major an environmental disaster the UAE is. I was genuinely shocked when I discovered that, in per capita terms, the UAE is a bigger climate criminal than the USA.
See above.
e do want to move to a more actively eco-friendly country, and hopefully we'll be able to within the next couple of years.
Oh, you heading off soon?
Hope its all good- Norwegian wood? Or somewhere else?
Old Jul 4th 2008, 7:19 pm
GTF
Just Joined

GTF is an unknown quantity at this point

PLan looks good..
Old Jul 5th 2008, 4:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, when I arrived and saw the ADIA building on the Corniche, I just thought how far behind the place was in environmental thinking. It is the biggest greenhouse in the world - what were they thinking? However, I think there are some genuine efforts to plan greener alternatives - I have seen some plans. Sure it will take time, of course you can't reverse damage done. But I do believe they have taken a change in direction that will mitigate futher damage and reverses the general trend here.

I do - it may be pathetic; I live on my own and it takes 4 months to fill a bin bag of cans etc. But the coathangers go back to the dry cleaners etc and cardboard and paper gets separated. I produce a lot of fruit and veg peelings and would like to have a compost bin on my balcony, but I think that is a step too far right now. When I can be bothered, I keep reminding my Emirati colleagues the sort of thing we do in the UK - I send them a lot of Islington Council press releases, othersise they just don't believe me.

Originally Posted by Miss Eck View Post

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Yz-hguqZCKg
Indeed an interesting movie. I am pretty sure it was made for the launch of the written plan, which is more detailed - if anyone is interested:

http://www.abudhabi.ae/Sites/Portal/...did=83360.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.