Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Abu Dhabi - 17,000 AED - Insult?

Abu Dhabi - 17,000 AED - Insult?

Old Jul 20th 2011, 6:39 am
xye
Just Joined

xye is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Abu Dhabi - 17,000 AED - Insult?

Dear all: -

For those M&E Quantity Surveyors out in Abu Dhabi. If you were offered AED 17,000 per month paid on a monthly basis would you consider this to be a grave insult or has the market really dropped so much over there? This offer came from a major American firm, which made it all the more surprising to me.

I was offered that sum taking on the position of Senior Quantity Surveyor- MEP, which seems to command £60-65K a year when looking at other offers online. The offer I received is circa £34.5K a year, which is dwarfed by the figures I have seen elsewhere.

The irony of it all is that the company offered me less than I get in the UK. When I kindly refused the offer they told me that I would be better off because it is tax free. However, in the interview I made it clear that the package would need to be very good for me to consider leaving the beautiful greenery and fresh air of the Yorkshire Dales to go to a humid desert.

I have not included the name of the company, but the terms of the contract are listed below.

The full package was as follows: -

Base Salary: AED 10,410 per month.

Accommodation Allowance: All-inclusive monthly housing allowance of AED 4,930 will be provided for accommodation. The housing allowance includes
the provision of furniture and fixtures for the accommodation.

Transportation Allowance: All-inclusive monthly allowance AED 995 will be provided for transportation. The transportation allowance includes provision for fuel and vehicle service.

Cost-Of-Living Allowance: A monthly cost-of-living allowance of AED 665 will be provided. This allowance is subject to review and adjustment (increase or reduction) on a yearly basis based on the Company’s market
analysis.

Insurance Benefits: A Company arranged medical plan will be made available within one month of the start of the assignment. The Company
will pay 100% of the premium for the employee. Company provides
workman’s compensation insurance and life insurance with all costs paid by the Company.

Annual Leave: Annual leave of 22 working days per annum (based on accrual 1.83 working days per month) will be provided with locally observed,
private-sector holidays not included. Leave must be used during the calendar year in which it is accrued. Cash allowance (as established by the Company) equal to one economy class ticket for the employee, will be provided by the Company from Location of Assignment-Home base-Location of Assignment
via the most direct route for each 12-month period of the assignment.

Sick Leave: Sick leave will be granted in accordance with the labour laws

Relocation: If applicable, The Company will pay economy airfare for the
employee from the home base, or other location in the event of re-assignment, to United Arab Emirates. Company will reimburse the actual cost of shipping of personal effects not to exceed USD 500 on Single status. Company will not pay customs and /or duties applicable to the shipment. The Company will not provide reimbursement for furniture storage.

Temporary Lodging: If applicable, Company shall make payment or reimbursement for temporary lodging expenses for 30 days upon mobilization
in Dubai in a suitable hotel or other lodging chosen by the company. This lodging will be provided in lieu of the accommodation allowance for that period.

Temporary Transportation: Company shall make payment for reasonable transportation or taxi fare for 7 days upon arrival. This transportation will be
provided in lieu of the transportation allowance for that period.

Visas: Company shall make payment for or provide reimbursement
for employee expenses associated with visas required for Dubai including all relevant medical examinations and government fees will be paid by the Company. The cost of obtaining new passports, authentication charges for educational, or other certificates and any fines associated with Employee delays in providing the appropriate documentation shall be the responsibility
of the Employee.

Taxes: Company will not be responsible for your income taxes, social security contributions, pension plans and/or any other taxes or dues that may be applicable in the Employee’s host or home country.

Performance Evaluation: Performance evaluations are conducted on a yearly basis. The compensation package is subject to review and adjustment
based upon the performance of the Employee. Adjustments are customarily provided in July of each year.

Bonuses: Yearly bonuses are provided at the discretion of the Company
and are customarily calculated based upon the performance of the Company and the Employee during that particular year.

Working Hours: The assignment is based upon a regular work week of 45 hours during a 5½ day work week unless modified by specific project requirements( may extend to 48 hours to 6 days per week).

Staff Handbook: The Company Staff Handbook and the United Arab Emirates
laws will apply except as modified within this assignment offer.

After consultation with other agencies and a friend from Dubai, I am told that the offer above is very underhand. The offer came from a fellow Brit, who interviewed me here in the UK. It's dampened my spirits about the Middle East somewhat.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 6:51 am

WakeUp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Abu Dhabi - 17,000 AED - Insult?

I'm not in AD, I'm in Dubai.

But I would say your instincts are correct they need to at least double that offer I'm afraid. As an example my company pays Dhs2,750 for Seniors as car allowance and my boss is a tight fisted ****. A Toyota Yaris will cost your around Dhs1,600/month to lease.

There certainly isn't a huge amount of work out here at now, but I agree with you that is very insulting. Don't necessarily believe what you see on those other web sites either, they can just be a hook to get you interested.

Not sure of your experience but if you around 15+ years of experience I wouldn't accept an all-in package of less than about 40k/month and I would only take that for a 5 day week as well.

Good luck and I hope you find something more suitable.

WU

Edit - Don't believe the bonus BS either.

Last edited by WakeUp; Jul 20th 2011 at 6:54 am.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xye

For those M&E Quantity Surveyors out in Abu Dhabi. If you were offered AED 17,000 per month paid on a monthly basis would you consider this to be a grave insult or has the market really dropped so much over there? This offer came from a major American firm, which made it all the more surprising to me.

I was offered that sum taking on the position of Senior Quantity Surveyor- MEP, which seems to command £60-65K a year when looking at other offers online. The offer I received is circa £34.5K a year, which is dwarfed by the figures I have seen elsewhere.

The irony of it all is that the company offered me less than I get in the UK. When I kindly refused the offer they told me that I would be better off because it is tax free. However, in the interview I made it clear that the package would need to be very good for me to consider leaving the beautiful greenery and fresh air of the Yorkshire Dales to go to a humid desert.

I have not included the name of the company, but the terms of the contract are listed below.

Accommodation Allowance: All-inclusive monthly housing allowance of AED 4,930 will be provided for accommodation. The housing allowance includes

Transportation Allowance: All-inclusive monthly allowance AED 995 will be provided for transportation. The transportation allowance includes provision for fuel and vehicle service.

Cost-Of-Living Allowance: A monthly cost-of-living allowance of AED 665 will be provided. This allowance is subject to review and adjustment (increase or reduction) on a yearly basis based on the Company’s market
analysis.

Insurance Benefits: A Company arranged medical plan will be made available within one month of the start of the assignment. The Company
workman’s compensation insurance and life insurance with all costs paid by the Company.

Annual Leave: Annual leave of 22 working days per annum (based on accrual 1.83 working days per month) will be provided with locally observed,
private-sector holidays not included. Leave must be used during the calendar year in which it is accrued. Cash allowance (as established by the Company) equal to one economy class ticket for the employee, will be provided by the Company from Location of Assignment-Home base-Location of Assignment

employee from the home base, or other location in the event of re-assignment, to United Arab Emirates. Company will reimburse the actual cost of shipping of personal effects not to exceed USD 500 on Single status. Company will not pay customs and /or duties applicable to the shipment. The Company will not provide reimbursement for furniture storage.

Temporary Lodging: If applicable, Company shall make payment or reimbursement for temporary lodging expenses for 30 days upon mobilization
in Dubai in a suitable hotel or other lodging chosen by the company. This lodging will be provided in lieu of the accommodation allowance for that period.

Temporary Transportation: Company shall make payment for reasonable transportation or taxi fare for 7 days upon arrival. This transportation will be

for employee expenses associated with visas required for Dubai including all relevant medical examinations and government fees will be paid by the Company. The cost of obtaining new passports, authentication charges for educational, or other certificates and any fines associated with Employee delays in providing the appropriate documentation shall be the responsibility
of the Employee.

Taxes: Company will not be responsible for your income taxes, social security contributions, pension plans and/or any other taxes or dues that may be applicable in the Employee’s host or home country.

Performance Evaluation: Performance evaluations are conducted on a yearly basis. The compensation package is subject to review and adjustment
based upon the performance of the Employee. Adjustments are customarily provided in July of each year.

and are customarily calculated based upon the performance of the Company and the Employee during that particular year.

Working Hours: The assignment is based upon a regular work week of 45 hours during a 5½ day work week unless modified by specific project requirements( may extend to 48 hours to 6 days per week).

After consultation with other agencies and a friend from Dubai, I am told that the offer above is very underhand. The offer came from a fellow Brit, who interviewed me here in the UK. It's dampened my spirits about the Middle East somewhat.
That's pure bullshit , tell them to poke it mate , yes you're correct the job market is on it's arse but not that much .

You'd get more working on the Cheese counter in Spinney's.....
Old Jul 20th 2011, 7:12 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Replace AED with USD and it'd be a decent starting point for negotiation.

The only positive is that they almost certainly won't get anyone for that, or if they do he'll only last a month or so because either a) they'll realise he's a right muppet or b) he'll realise he's a right muppet.

Bahtatboy
BSc DipArb FRICS MCIArb
Old Jul 20th 2011, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

Bongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond repute

I had an agent call from London a few days back looking for an engineering manager (of the specific discipline I work in.)

The job was in Saudi and she said the client was looking for someone with 'no' previous Middle East experience!?!

I reckon they figure any expats out here have a good idea of what are reasonable wages and the only way to reduce salaries is to recruit a new round of greenhorns.

Bur seriously, Saudi, with no previous ME experience! I'm sure they'll find someone silly enough

Last edited by Bongoman2; Jul 20th 2011 at 7:44 am.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Replace AED with USD and it'd be a decent starting point for negotiation.

The only positive is that they almost certainly won't get anyone for that, or if they do he'll only last a month or so because either a) they'll realise he's a right muppet or b) he'll realise he's a right muppet.

Bahtatboy
BSc DipArb FRICS MCIArb
I hate pricks who use letters after their name, I always hide mine
Old Jul 20th 2011, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bongoman2
I had an agent call from London a few days back looking for an engineering manager (of the specific discipline I work in.)

The job was in Saudi and she said the client was looking for someone with 'no' previous Middle East experience!?!

I reckon they figure any expats out here have a good idea of what are reasonable wages and the only way to reduce salaries is to recruit a new round of greenhorns.

Bur seriously, Saudi, with no previous ME experience! I'm sure they'll find someone silly enough
Of course they'll find someone . If you're sat in Grimsby with 3 screaming kids and a wife on Prozac on a piss wet Monday Saudi might seem like fu**ing Barbados .

The trouble is it's very rare people fail because of technical competence , they fail because they can't adapt to their environment and the social change they encounter and some just have piss poor experience in life as a whole.

The project / job position suffers in the long term as the employer only sees a short term view of things , just another Gulf fact i'm afraid.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WakeUp
I don't blame you.

WakeUp
T.Wat
Old Jul 20th 2011, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by Brains1983
I don't blame you.

WakeUp
T.Wat
ffs get some new material
Old Jul 20th 2011, 9:03 am
Just Joined

Apooss is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by xye

I was offered 16k salary + 2.7k transport allowance + house at real cost + medical cover for a job that was nowhere near as senior as the one you are speaking about.

Your instict was right.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 9:18 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WakeUp
I just hate pricks, prick. They were there to authenticate my opinion, rather than it being viewed as being from someone who knows **** all about **** all. Gettit?
Old Jul 20th 2011, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
I just hate pricks, prick. They were there to authenticate my opinion, rather than it being viewed as being from someone who knows **** all about **** all. Gettit?
wow I didn't realise you were a Snr M&E QS I thought you just hated them, my mistake.

If you really think the OP will be offered Dhs62k as a starting point for negotiation then you are just embarrassing yourself.

Last edited by WakeUp; Jul 20th 2011 at 9:25 am.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 11:02 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

To the OP; send me a PM and we can chat.

I recruit for your exact market. Knowing clients, they'll take the piss if you're not here and haven't been before. Other than that it's a piss poor offer.

Example being I just placed an Asian Snr MEP QS on 1,000ish more than you were offered. I'd expect you to be getting somewhere around 30-40 depending how hung up they are on previous MENA experience. Oh, and whether client / consultant / contractor / subbie too.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 4:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

17k per month? Gross???

Most people on here earn more than that per week..............
Old Jul 20th 2011, 5:06 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xye

analysis.

of the Employee.

It's a shit package for what you;d want, plus 500 dollars relocation?? And more importantly 5.5 days a week andmaybe 6 (so it means 6).

I'd want more than double that to work 6 days a week.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.