Absconding

Old Apr 1st 2008, 7:10 pm
what 2 do 2 get 4 stars?

Location: Originally Cornwall, 12 years in the Middle East, NSW now
sinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Absconding

No letter but I when I spoke to him (cause g/f burst into tears and dropped the phone on me and I wanted to know why) he did say he'd been asked by the Labour guys - do the Company owe you money and he said "no, if anything I've owed them money, but paid it to them yesterday, because I've only just managed to get it together"

So how can he be reported as an Absconder, if

1) they let him leave
2) paid his salary up to date
3) kept his passport (it's not like he's asconded out of the country like the lowly paid indian/philipinos do)
Old Apr 1st 2008, 7:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sinderelle
No letter but I when I spoke to him (cause g/f burst into tears and dropped the phone on me and I wanted to know why) he did say he'd been asked by the Labour guys - do the Company owe you money and he said "no, if anything I've owed them money, but paid it to them yesterday, because I've only just managed to get it together"

So how can he be reported as an Absconder, if

1) they let him leave
2) paid his salary up to date
3) kept his passport (it's not like he's asconded out of the country like the lowly paid indian/philipinos do)
So they already have reasonable doubt of wrongdoing...That's reason enough to be optimist...
Old Apr 1st 2008, 7:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

I think an absconder has a permanent ban from working in the UAE. Check the advice section of the Gulf News.

I had a problem getting my passport back from my old company. New company said that the Free Zone wanted to keep my passport and that I wouldnt get my Free Zone labour card until I handed over my passport. Told them to keep the labour card.

British Consulate were as helpful as a chocolate teapot when i was having trouble.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 7:26 pm
what 2 do 2 get 4 stars?

sinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Confucius
So they already have reasonable doubt of wrongdoing...That's reason enough to be optimist...
Let's hope so Con - he has a meeting on Thursday at Labour Office with old Company - all parties sitting down together

TY Inselaffan - will do

Yes DH was told he had to give up the passport for the FZ, but someone else from the Company said 'give it up, get the Labour Card and then tell them you need it for a trip' so he did and was 'allowed' it for 90 days. DH went over the 90 days and was told he had to pay Dhs200 fine, hence he wrote to Embassy

Here's the reply

"" Although it is common practice in the UAE for employers to hold onto passports it is in fact against the law here to hold someone's passport. We can issue a letter to your employer to this effect with a request that the passport is returned to you (or us as British passports remain the property of Her Majesty's government). If you would like us to issue the letter you would need to come to the Embassy with some ID any weekday morning between 0800 and 1300. The letter will cost Dhs470 payable in cash and will be ready the following day.

I am afraid I cannot give any particular advice about the fine. Depending on the amount involved you may wish to contact a local lawyer. I attach a list.

Kind regards""
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 8:30 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Been around in the ME for a number of years but never had any dealings/friends been threatened with the above

g/f's hubby left a 2 year contract before the end of the Contract (he's Uk with NZ passport btw)

They let him leave, paid his salary up to date and said there might be a fine for breaking the contract, in the meantime they'd keep his passport

This was last July when he left

Around the beginning of the year he went back to this Company to request passport and been informed there's a Dhs21,000 fine (not sure if that's one months salary or not)

This week he managed to gather the money together, paid them on Saturday, went to the Labour Office on Sunday to cancel Visa and have passport returned to find that they posted an Absconding/Absconsion letter on him back in February.

What does this mean for him ? ?

Come on oldies any comments ?
I have never heard of being fined for leaving a company early - usually they just take what they want from the gratuity and try to slap a ban on you.

Firstly he should have had his visa cancelled once he recieved his dues and left...NZ passport holders can come and go and they please - no need for him to wait 7 months so they can make his life hell like most employers like to do here.

Second, the company is not allowed to keep his passport...this is against UAE law.

Third - he needs to see a lawyer urgently.

And last he needs to see a lawyer urgently...as an absconder he could face deportation, a labour ban, fines and all sorts of unpleasant things.

He should also see a lawyer!

N.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 5:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
I have never heard of being fined for leaving a company early - usually they just take what they want from the gratuity and try to slap a ban on you.

Firstly he should have had his visa cancelled once he recieved his dues and left...NZ passport holders can come and go and they please - no need for him to wait 7 months so they can make his life hell like most employers like to do here.

Second, the company is not allowed to keep his passport...this is against UAE law.

Third - he needs to see a lawyer urgently.

And last he needs to see a lawyer urgently...as an absconder he could face deportation, a labour ban, fines and all sorts of unpleasant things.

He should also see a lawyer!

N.
don't you think he should see a lawyer though
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 9:46 pm
what 2 do 2 get 4 stars?

Yep, yep Norm I hear ya - but "R" plays his cards very close to his chest and "D" his wife assumes that all is well

As I said before he's a man's man and advice/help from a woman doesn't go down too well 'he knows best'

We'll see tomorrow morning - fingers crossed
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 4:18 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, yep Norm I hear ya - but "R" plays his cards very close to his chest and "D" his wife assumes that all is well

As I said before he's a man's man and advice/help from a woman doesn't go down too well 'he knows best'

We'll see tomorrow morning - fingers crossed
Real men know the value of advice...especially when it comes from concerned females!

Real men also talk to their wives!

Hope it all works out well for them.

N.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 7:48 am
what 2 do 2 get 4 stars?

TY Norm

Meeting was at 8.30 am this morning "R" was not allowed anyone 'in the room' on his side, although "Co" had 3 reps - everything was carried on in Arabic and now apparently he has to come back on Sunday?!

For what?! who knows
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 9:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

TY Norm

Meeting was at 8.30 am this morning "R" was not allowed anyone 'in the room' on his side, although "Co" had 3 reps - everything was carried on in Arabic and now apparently he has to come back on Sunday?!

For what?! who knows
Hmmm...
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

They let him leave, paid his salary up to date and said there might be a fine for breaking the contract, in the meantime they'd keep his passport
Did he hand in his resignation in writing? Did he provide a notice period? Was his resignation accepted by the company in writing?

This week he managed to gather the money together, paid them on Saturday, went to the Labour Office on Sunday to cancel Visa and have passport returned to find that they posted an Absconding/Absconsion letter on him back in February.
Did he get a receipt for money paid to the company?
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 10:04 pm
what 2 do 2 get 4 stars?

Originally Posted by IndieG
Did he hand in his resignation in writing? Did he provide a notice period? Was his resignation accepted by the company in writing?

Not sure, will ask

Did he get a receipt for money paid to the company?
Yes
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 10:05 pm
what 2 do 2 get 4 stars?

Cr*p that didn't work

Not sure was the first answer, but will find out

Yes definately to the second q
Old Apr 7th 2008, 6:11 pm
what 2 do 2 get 4 stars?

Writen resignation letter - yes
notice period provided - yes

accepted by Co in writing - still not sure

"R" had another meeting at Labour office today, Co didn't turn up, but presented a letter of complaints - extreme b*llshit, point by point

at the bottom of the letter they'd written that they want to help Mr "R" and wanted to withdraw the Absonsion Letter.

Lawyer also told R today that when filing an Absonsion Letter it should be lodged with Labour Office, Immigration and Police - apparently the Co's letter had only been lodged with Labour Office. Lawyer informed "R" that in a couple of days (after other court cases she was involved in) she would be requesting a formal retraction from the Co

Fingers crossed ! Phew!
Old Apr 7th 2008, 6:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Writen resignation letter - yes
notice period provided - yes

accepted by Co in writing - still not sure

"R" had another meeting at Labour office today, Co didn't turn up, but presented a letter of complaints - extreme b*llshit, point by point

at the bottom of the letter they'd written that they want to help Mr "R" and wanted to withdraw the Absonsion Letter.

Lawyer also told R today that when filing an Absonsion Letter it should be lodged with Labour Office, Immigration and Police - apparently the Co's letter had only been lodged with Labour Office. Lawyer informed "R" that in a couple of days (after other court cases she was involved in) she would be requesting a formal retraction from the Co

Fingers crossed ! Phew!
So all is good...
Tragedy averted...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.