British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Absconding (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/absconding-526102/)

sinderelle Apr 1st 2008 6:14 pm

Absconding

Been around in the ME for a number of years but never had any dealings/friends been threatened with the above

g/f's hubby left a 2 year contract before the end of the Contract (he's Uk with NZ passport btw)

They let him leave, paid his salary up to date and said there might be a fine for breaking the contract, in the meantime they'd keep his passport :(

This was last July when he left

Around the beginning of the year he went back to this Company to request passport and been informed there's a Dhs21,000 fine (not sure if that's one months salary or not)

This week he managed to gather the money together, paid them on Saturday, went to the Labour Office on Sunday to cancel Visa and have passport returned to find that they posted an Absconding/Absconsion letter on him back in February.

What does this mean for him ? ?

Come on oldies ;) any comments ?

Confucius Apr 1st 2008 6:20 pm

Re: Absconding

Originally Posted by sinderelle (Post 6143640)
Been around in the ME for a number of years but never had any dealings/friends been threatened with the above

g/f's hubby left a 2 year contract before the end of the Contract (he's Uk with NZ passport btw)

They let him leave, paid his salary up to date and said there might be a fine for breaking the contract, in the meantime they'd keep his passport :(

This was last July when he left

Around the beginning of the year he went back to this Company to request passport and been informed there's a Dhs21,000 fine (not sure if that's one months salary or not)

This week he managed to gather the money together, paid them on Saturday, went to the Labour Office on Sunday to cancel Visa and have passport returned to find that they posted an Absconding/Absconsion letter on him back in February.

What does this mean for him ? ?

Come on oldies ;) any comments ?

First time I hear of a fine on a contract employment...I think they put the figure on their own...I might be wrong though...
And the absconding bit, he should've read Gulf News from time to time...

sinderelle Apr 1st 2008 6:26 pm

Come on Con - don't throw me sprats - he's got a missus (and 2 kids) that are cr*pping themselves - which bit of the Gulf News :(

Confucius Apr 1st 2008 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by sinderelle (Post 6143702)
Come on Con - don't throw me sprats - he's got a missus (and 2 kids) that are cr*pping themselves - which bit of the Gulf News :(

Not an article...Usually companies put a small ad in the classifieds section of employees absconding and whoever deals with them will do so at thir own risk...
Did he ask a lawyer what are his legal backups???

sinderelle Apr 1st 2008 6:34 pm

Ok gotya - I remember the Absconders and Molestors of Women section - LOL

With regard to a Lawyer, prob is, he's a bit of a mans man and dealing with it in his own way, not telling wife everything (maybe because he doesn't want to worry her - giving him the benefit of the doubt) but she's regularly over with me crying in my and her beer not having a bl**dy clue - hence my thread to you guys :unsure:

Confucius Apr 1st 2008 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by sinderelle (Post 6143734)

With regard to a Lawyer, prob is, he's a bit of a mans man and dealing with it in his own way, not telling wife everything (maybe because he doesn't want to worry her - giving him the benefit of the doubt) but she's regularly over with me crying in my and her beer not having a bl**dy clue - hence my thread to you guys :unsure:

Hmmm...Unfortunately I can't advise from experience or similar cases...

Madam Medusa Apr 1st 2008 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by sinderelle (Post 6143734)

man's man or not...he needs to get a good lawyer, cos he needs some sound, and urgent, advice...

really feel sorry for your friend, what a hideous situation...

MM, xx

Confucius Apr 1st 2008 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 6143744)
man's man or not...he needs to get a good lawyer, cos he needs some sound, and urgent, advice...

MM, xx

Men...Can't live with them,oh well...

sinderelle Apr 1st 2008 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 6143744)

MM, xx

TY MM :)

He probably has got one - but bless his little socks (i'd like to kick his arse) he's not keeping the other half informed :unsure:

Patsy Stoned Apr 1st 2008 6:49 pm

As far as I know the company cannot keep his passport, however ...why on earth did he let 7 months pass before he a. got his passport back and b. made sure that all was right with him leaving the company?
All sounds a bit weird to me... he needs to talk to the Labour ministry and find out what his rights are..........seems to me that if they paid all his dues up front then they were agreeing to him leaving and according to local law if they agree to cancel his visa and then don't ..it is their responsibility and they have to pay the fine.

Confucius Apr 1st 2008 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 6143801)
As far as I know the company cannot keep his passport, however ...why on earth did he let 7 months pass before he a. got his passport back and b. made sure that all was right with him leaving the company?
All sounds a bit weird to me... he needs to talk to the Labour ministry and find out what his rights are..........seems to me that if they paid all his dues up front then they were agreeing to him leaving and according to local law if they agree to cancel his visa and then don't ..it is their responsibility and they have to pay the fine.

Very valid argument...But, over here they have a saying in Arabic: The law doesn't defend the foolish...

Patsy Stoned Apr 1st 2008 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by Confucius (Post 6143817)
Very valid argument...But, over here they have a saying in Arabic: The law doesn't defend the foolish...

well then you have no chance!:D
We have a similiar saying ......"Ignorance is no defence"

Confucius Apr 1st 2008 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 6143861)
well then you have no chance!:D
We have a similiar saying ......"Ignorance is no defence"

Same saying...Different countries...

sinderelle Apr 1st 2008 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 6143801)

Your right they shouldn't keep his passport - my Hubby's just had a run in with a Freezone company that tried to fine him for not returning his passport. DH wrote to the Brit Embassy and they replied and said they could provide a stern letter to his company at a cost of Dhs470 - :ohmy:

Anyway back to g/f's DH - (a) think he was in contact with them prior to Jan, but kept getting pushed from pillar to post, with no joy about how to get passort back, didn't need passport so just let it ride for a while (b) as I said, they let him leave, paid his salary up to date and he got another job with someone else - all that was remaining was getting the passport back.

It's all become an issue now as wife and kids are back and kids are in School and the School now wants proof of Visas to register the girls with the MoE

Confucius Apr 1st 2008 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by sinderelle (Post 6143885)
Your right they shouldn't keep his passport - my Hubby's just had a run in with a Freezone company that tried to fine him for not returning his passport. DH wrote to the Brit Embassy and they replied and said they could provide a stern letter to his company at a cost of Dhs470 - :ohmy:

Anyway back to g/f's DH - (a) think he was in contact with them prior to Jan, but kept getting pushed from pillar to post, with no joy about how to get passort back, didn't need passport so just let it ride for a while (b) as I said, they let him leave, paid his salary up to date and he got another job with someone else - all that was remaining was getting the passport back.

It's all become an issue now as wife and kids are back and kids are in School and the School now wants proof of Visas to register the girls with the MoE

Has he got a paper or a document from them stating that he was paid all his dues with the date also visible???That would tilt the case in his favour...