British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   About to leave for Dubai (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/about-leave-dubai-699077/)

livbel Jan 3rd 2011 9:26 pm

About to leave for Dubai

Hi all, after what feels like an age, I am finally leaving blighty in the next few days for our new life in Dubai. Wife and toddlers will be coming out two weeks after me. Would appreciate any advice on the things I should crack on with before they arrive. We have accomo sorted for the first two months so not going to start looking yet for our new home.

Thanks to all those that answered my previous posts and helped us in our decision making - it is very much appreciated.

Patsy Stoned Jan 4th 2011 2:05 am

Re: About to leave for Dubai

Originally Posted by livbel (Post 9075187)
Hi all, after what feels like an age, I am finally leaving blighty in the next few days for our new life in Dubai. Wife and toddlers will be coming out two weeks after me. Would appreciate any advice on the things I should crack on with before they arrive. We have accomo sorted for the first two months so not going to start looking yet for our new home.

Thanks to all those that answered my previous posts and helped us in our decision making - it is very much appreciated.

If you let us know what you have and haven't done then we can help you. Drivers licence/booze license/ mobile sim are a few things off the top of my head.
Welcome to Dubai.

Blue Cat Jan 4th 2011 3:04 am

hope it all goes well for you, I would suggest you start looking around for somewhere permanent to live, the sooner you get settled the better.

lionheart Jan 4th 2011 4:04 am

Where are you from, what do you do, are you bringing a family with you, are you male or female, young or old? Basic questions that need answering first.

Blue Cat Jan 4th 2011 4:16 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 9075770)
Where are you from, what do you do, are you bringing a family with you, are you male or female, young or old? Basic questions that need answering first.

read LH!! HE is bringing his wife and toddlers out in a few weeks!

NorthernLad Jan 4th 2011 4:19 am

I would invest in the Dubai Explorer book when you get here, full of good information. You can get it at book shops, petrol stations, supermarkets etc...

livbel Jan 4th 2011 7:03 am

Thanks NL - have already bought Dubai Explorer - very useful book.

Thanks BC -probably will start having a tentative look at accomo but wont be making any decisions until my wife arrives!!!

Thanks all.

Blue Cat Jan 4th 2011 7:12 am

Originally Posted by livbel (Post 9075956)

Thanks BC -probably will start having a tentative look at accomo but wont be making any decisions until my wife arrives!!!

Thanks all.

wise move!

NorthernLad Jan 4th 2011 7:58 am

Originally Posted by livbel (Post 9075956)

Thanks all.

Also take a look at http://www.dubizzle.com - we used it a few times to find accommodation.

Good luck!

kittycat1 Jan 4th 2011 3:03 pm

Safe journey- dont forget to bring a million passport pictures/passport copies/driving license copies with you, buy an etislat sim at the airport (in Duty free on your way out) buy booze on your way through( 4 litre allowance).

Good luck!

Bahtatboy Jan 4th 2011 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 9076029)
Also take a look at http://www.dubizzle.com - we used it a few times to find accommodation.

Good luck!

And furnishings if you're on a budget.

livbel Jan 4th 2011 3:16 pm

oooh now on the booze front - If I can buy in duty free - so I still need the licence to consume at home?

Good tip on the Sim card I was wondering where I would get one of those

Thanks all again

Hello.Kitty Jan 4th 2011 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 9075785)
I would invest in the Dubai Explorer book when you get here, full of good information. You can get it at book shops, petrol stations, supermarkets etc...

and the Entertainer books - full of BOGOF vouchers for all kinds of things, from attractions to swanky restaurants... via ice-cream parlours, coffee shops and, well, all kinds. I kick myself (a little) for not having known about it during our first year here... and must have saved the equivalent of its cost (Fine Dining and Family) about 8 times over last year!

Above all, try to enjoy the experience... there is absolutely no point in rushing around like a headless chicken because no-one else will understand your sense of urgency.

Bon voyage!

Bahtatboy Jan 4th 2011 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by livbel (Post 9076780)
oooh now on the booze front - If I can buy in duty free - so I still need the licence to consume at home?

Good tip on the Sim card I was wondering where I would get one of those

Thanks all again

If you get desperate and haven't sorted your licence, just wheel on down to AD: no licence required.:D

soukie Jan 4th 2011 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9076846)
If you get desperate and haven't sorted your licence, just wheel on down to AD: no licence required.:D

Since when?!