Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

About to leave for Dubai

About to leave for Dubai

Old Jan 4th 2011, 3:57 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: About to leave for Dubai

Originally Posted by soukie
Since when?!
Are you PC Abdul?
Old Jan 4th 2011, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Are you PC Abdul?
Just don't think it's fair to mislead a newbie - yes there are places in AD and other parts of UAE where you can buy alcohol without a licence but it is illegal and they do have regular crack downs. It really isn't worth the risk and AD is a lot more conservative than Dubai - it isn't too long ago when all bars were closed during Ramadan.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Just don't think it's fair to mislead a newbie - yes there are places in AD and other parts of UAE where you can buy alcohol without a licence but it is illegal and they do have regular crack downs. It really isn't worth the risk and AD is a lot more conservative than Dubai - it isn't too long ago when all bars were closed during Ramadan.
and PC Abdul can be seen lurking around certain outlets at times, not worth the risk...
Old Jan 4th 2011, 5:06 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not misleading him. I've lived in AD for over 2 years, buy booze regularly at several outlets, never been asked for a licence (NOT never needed one, NEVER been asked). My Italian friend does the same. Anecdotal, but factual and no less valid than your saying they have regular crackdowns--never heard of them, and never heard the staff ask other customers for their licences.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not misleading him. I've lived in AD for over 2 years, buy booze regularly at several outlets, never been asked for a licence (NOT never needed one, NEVER been asked). My Italian friend does the same. Anecdotal, but factual and no less valid than your saying they have regular crackdowns--never heard of them, and never heard the staff ask other customers for their licences.
27 th Dec at around 12 ish panic in Khaladiya... It does happen BB...
Old Jan 4th 2011, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Like most things in the region- it isn't a problem unless you are caught but why risk it? There are crackdowns in AD and I'm sure others will be aware of them too.

http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-n...s-apply-to-all
Old Jan 5th 2011, 7:00 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

I saw that article in the National too and if interpreted literally it makes no sense. It implies that a one-time tourist visitor bringing in Duty Free alcohol may be put in the slammer if his taxi has an accident on the way from the airport to the hotel. Or if a tourist goes into a hotel bar, drinks alcohol, then gets a taxi to a restaurant and the taxi has an accident, the tourist would again be arrested.

Of course, the fact that it makes no sense doesn't for a minute mean that it isn't actually true!

One thing to point out on Duty Free: the wine allowance is 4 litres, not 4 bottles. 4 litres is 5 bottles of wine - but some Duty Free staff (particularly outside the UAE) try to insist on 4 bottles.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

haloola is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by livbel
Hi all, after what feels like an age, I am finally leaving blighty in the next few days for our new life in Dubai. Wife and toddlers will be coming out two weeks after me. Would appreciate any advice on the things I should crack on with before they arrive. We have accomo sorted for the first two months so not going to start looking yet for our new home.

Thanks to all those that answered my previous posts and helped us in our decision making - it is very much appreciated.
Hi,

I did things in this order:

1. health check for visa
Waited for visa! You need it for everything more or less. I got mine in 2 weeks, including the time for medical etc.
2. Visa arrived
3. opened a bank account
4. applied for UAE ID Card
5. applied for UAE driving license (I needed the UAE ID card receipt before I could get my license but I don't think that rule applies in Dubai)

All that was while I was waiting for my housing allowance advance so that I could rent a flat. I started looking too early which was a bit frustrating as I found a flat I really liked but couldnt pay the cheque in time. But it was still beneficial to see the different areas,what kind of place you get for your money and how you can negotiate.

I found things much slower and easier than I was expecting. I made sure I was social (start as you mean to go on, hehe!) which helped me settle in a lot and make some friends straight away.

I saw someone suggested that you get a sim card at the airport. I didnt know that was possible else I would have done that - you need a residence visa to buy one and you will definitely need a phone asap!

If you want to watch the BBC over the net you will need a VPN (there are threads about them elsewhere) and if you plan to use Skype download that before you come over as well - its blocked here.

Think that's it! There's probably alot more to do when you're bring a family but I wouldn't know about that!

Good luck!
Old Jan 5th 2011, 10:02 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haloola
Hi,

I saw someone suggested that you get a sim card at the airport. I didnt know that was possible else I would have done that - you need a residence visa to buy one and you will definitely need a phone asap!

Good luck!
For pay-as-you-go you just need a copy of your passport (or at least that used to be the case).
You can then move the number to post-paid once you have residency.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

haloola is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
For pay-as-you-go you just need a copy of your passport (or at least that used to be the case).
You can then move the number to post-paid once you have residency.
I definitely needed a residence visa for a pay-as-you-go sim. But I'm in AD, maybe its different in Dubai or at the airport.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by haloola
I definitely needed a residence visa for a pay-as-you-go sim. But I'm in AD, maybe its different in Dubai or at the airport.
A friend of ours visited us in November and bought a pay as you go sim (Du) from Jumbo in AD - he only needed his passport copy.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by csdf
I saw that article in the National too and if interpreted literally it makes no sense. It implies that a one-time tourist visitor bringing in Duty Free alcohol may be put in the slammer if his taxi has an accident on the way from the airport to the hotel. Or if a tourist goes into a hotel bar, drinks alcohol, then gets a taxi to a restaurant and the taxi has an accident, the tourist would again be arrested.

Of course, the fact that it makes no sense doesn't for a minute mean that it isn't actually true!

One thing to point out on Duty Free: the wine allowance is 4 litres, not 4 bottles. 4 litres is 5 bottles of wine - but some Duty Free staff (particularly outside the UAE) try to insist on 4 bottles.
There was an interesting case in AD a few years ago where 3 offshore workers were staying in a hotel for a few nights and met up with some of their buddies who were resident in AD. They met at the hotel bar and to cut a long story short they all had too much to drink and ended up brawling - the Police arrived and carted them all off to the cells. They appeared before a Court and the Judge asked for their liqour licences but none of them had one - he let the 3 offshore workers go as they were resident in the Hotel at the time and the others who were AD residents were fined and deported. Sounds like you are OK if you a tourist as long as you are registered in a hotel.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 10:30 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

There was an interesting case in AD a few years ago where 3 offshore workers were staying in a hotel for a few nights and met up with some of their buddies who were resident in AD. They met at the hotel bar and to cut a long story short they all had too much to drink and ended up brawling - the Police arrived and carted them all off to the cells. They appeared before a Court and the Judge asked for their liqour licences but none of them had one - he let the 3 offshore workers go as they were resident in the Hotel at the time and the others who were AD residents were fined and deported. Sounds like you are OK if you a tourist as long as you are registered in a hotel.
agree. i had a co-worker last year get done by the police for drinking alcohol without a licence. He was on a visit visa and staying in a company provided apartment.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 5:55 pm
Hit 16's

Fair enough, all. Will get my licence sorted this month. Hic.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 7:39 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Can someone please explain to me why the liquor store 'High Spirits'-owned by AD National Hotels sells liquor to anyone(except little Keralites) including people in kanduras and abayas without requiring the production of a LL?
They even qualify method of payment within the store: W.O a licence- cash only; produce a licence-we accept credit cards.
How does that happen?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.