Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

7'000 GBP for Saudi...?

7'000 GBP for Saudi...?

Old Oct 31st 2010, 4:55 am
Just Joined

glasshock is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 7'000 GBP for Saudi...?

Hello all and thanks in advance for any help....

I currently work in Thailand and will be returning to the UK for a (hopefully) better education for our children.
I'm a Facade Project Manager and, with the current flop of the UK industry, have been offered a 7,000 GBPpm salary in Saudi. Package includes car, flights, and medical....
Is this reasonable..... 84k tax free is certainly tempting in the present climate.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Oct 31st 2010, 5:08 am
Account Closed

weasel central is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 7'000 GBP for Saudi...?

family accomodation in a compound if its not included could cost $3000 per month or more depending on which compound or how big a villa you need.
outside a compound would be more like $1500 for a good spot, but obviously much more restricted.
Old Oct 31st 2010, 5:13 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

you need to pay for your own accomodation?

Mate i would be wanting 10K minimum plus accommodation to go to a shithole like Saudi.

Let people sugar coat it..truth is the people that are located in Saudi are there for money or because they couldn't get a position in the UAE or any other GCC country.

seriously, 7000GBP is not enough, especially if you pay accom on top.
Old Oct 31st 2010, 5:21 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander View Post
you need to pay for your own accomodation?

Mate i would be wanting 10K minimum plus accommodation to go to a shithole like Saudi.

Let people sugar coat it..truth is the people that are located in Saudi are there for money or because they couldn't get a position in the UAE or any other GCC country.

seriously, 7000GBP is not enough, especially if you pay accom on top.
Easy to say if you've already got a job. However, I agree about the description of the place--I was there for 2 years 25 years ago and vowed never to go back. I do for a day or two now, but I really couldn't bear it for much longer than that.

Its pretty simple really: work out what you'll have left in your pocket after living expenses (if you do a search there will be some threads on Saudi costs), compare that to what you'd likely have left in your pocket if/when you get a job in the UK. Is the difference sufficient to justify living and working in the magic kingdom and being away from your family? Only you can answer that.
Old Oct 31st 2010, 5:30 am
Just Joined

glasshock is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies so far....

As you can tell, I've zero experience in the Middle East and of course, the only reason for being there is money.
I'll check the accommodation situation but I fear this would be down to me... if this is the case and the 'compound' accommodation is high then I'd be looking to bump it up.
I was told to aim for 10k and all expenses included .... i think that was realistic.
however, the company have tenders in waiting for the UK and I'm looking at this as a 'loss leader' so to speak. A foot in the door for possible future ventures..... in the present climate though, I don't think this exists and we should maybe live project to project......
Anyway ...again any further input would be much appreciated...

Cheers!
Old Oct 31st 2010, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

Desert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really nice

Originally Posted by glasshock View Post
Hello all and thanks in advance for any help....

I currently work in Thailand and will be returning to the UK for a (hopefully) better education for our children.
I'm a Facade Project Manager and, with the current flop of the UK industry, have been offered a 7,000 GBPpm salary in Saudi. Package includes car, flights, and medical....
Is this reasonable..... 84k tax free is certainly tempting in the present climate.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Ask for another 3 grand a month on top of wat they have offered you.

This will compensate your weekly trips to Dubai or Bahrain.
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

pj44 is an unknown quantity at this point

If the contract is in Riyadh you'll need you'll need £1000-/month for a 1 bed compound apartment if you can find one, usually min 3 mths advance payment.

There's a lot starting in Riyadh - I'm in Riyadh at the moment in the same line as you (Facades) and I might know who you have an offer from.

If you need an update send me an email