British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   54 year old male moving to Dubai (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/54-year-old-male-moving-dubai-863149/)

Tockalosh Aug 9th 2015 6:54 pm

Re: 54 year old male moving to Dubai

Originally Posted by BOGO (Post 11719875)
Hi guys,

I'm very new to this, but I finally graduate from university in a month and I will be moving to Dubai to start a new Job in October. I have no idea what to expect so was wondering if you guys could let me know what there is to do over there. Ive never been over there so I am wondering what sort of things are there to do? and how easy is it to meet people and make friends?
Also being single, whats it like meeting ladies out there (around my age).
I have obviously heard and seen about cars out there and I am wondering what chances/choices I have of getting a car.
I am very excited about this but also very nervous at the same time and I'm looking forward to hearing what you guys think.

Thanks 54 year old Male

First thing to do given your age is buy a racing bicycle and some bright Lycra and head to the ranches on a weekend. You'll find lots of like minded chums.
As for the ladies, well at your age you may find a few bored housewives but I guess they would want someone a little younger. Plenty of young flippers so all is not lost

scrubbedexpat141 Aug 10th 2015 4:51 am

What degree have you done that's taken 30years? :rofl:

What are you coming out here to do?

Car - depends entirely on you. Can get car loans to buy new and second hand, loads of cars change hands regularly because it's such a transient place.

Bahtatboy Aug 10th 2015 7:00 am

Have you had your mid-life crisis yet? If not, start it, if you have, have another one. Or you could be sober and sensible, and still have a good time. Countless possibilities in tinsel town; very few don't enjoy it, although if you're bookish and overly-serious you may struggle (your avatar suggests otherwise, though).

Bahtatboy Aug 10th 2015 9:02 am

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 11720315)
There are book clubs, board game clubs, tabletop gaming clubs and plenty of other things to keep the discerning lycra-clad bookish gent happy when he's not chasing low income Filippina's around the Ranches on his BMX... ;)

N.

I think you've just invented a new sport, Norm.

ps Bit disappointed with the greengrocer's apostrophe, Sport. Chinese proverb: Even monkeys fall from trees.

Meow Aug 11th 2015 12:16 pm

Has the original poster flounced off? His post is no longer showing.

mikewot Aug 11th 2015 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 11721323)
Has the original poster flounced off? His post is no longer showing.

It was our resident Yankee troll, been a while since the doofus showed up.

scrubbedexpat141 Aug 11th 2015 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 11721329)
It was our resident Yankee troll, been a while since the doofus showed up.

He fooled me this time.

mikewot Aug 11th 2015 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11721331)
He fooled me this time.

Ditto, I thought over exuberant posts but not the same over familiarity. Anyway banned until his next identity, unless he is receiving treatment for his condition.

Bahtatboy Aug 11th 2015 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11721331)
He fooled me this time.

Damn, me too. He's been taking elocution lessons.