Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Which 4x4 for Qatar

Which 4x4 for Qatar

Old Feb 19th 2013, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

mrkjd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which 4x4 for Qatar

I may be taking a job in Qatar later this year and I'm wondering what kind of car to get. Used to live in Saudi and go desert camping etc in a L/C or Disco. Not sure if there's much scope for that in Qatar unless in the dunes to the south but would probably go on a few road trips to UAE / Oman once all the paperwork etc settled.

So which 4x4 is a good buy or rent in Qatar - L/C is good but generally overpriced so I was thinking Pajero. A left field option would be a Grand Cherokee which now seem quite nice if a bit soft. A different tack would be to go for a Toureg or even possibly a Hyundai Santa Fe as long as I ditch the offroad aspirations. Having drove in the ME for years I won't go for a non 4x4.

I was thinking I'll just rent so I'm not tied if it all goes tit's up but company provide a car loan so guess that's the way to go. Could always leave it gathering dust at the airport if push comes to shove! What do you guys think?
Old Feb 19th 2013, 5:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which 4x4 for Qatar

If you are thinking of off-roading then the Pajero is a good on-road / off-road car. You'll lose the rear bumper dune bashing it though. Make sure it is the 3.8l - the 3l is hopeless.

Other off-road options in approx price order - L/C, Patrol (super safari not the new shape), Prado, FJ, Pathfinder, Fortuner (4l), Xterra.

or get a truck, a nice Ford F150 Raptor.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 12:59 am
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd go for either the xTerra or Fortuner, both come in 4.0l flavours and are relatively cheap and easy to get serviced/ parts for in Qatar. Rough price guide here and here, and you get decent discounts at Ramadan if you can wait.

A Prado or similar 4x4 costs about QR5k/m to rent which is too expensive for my taste, so a Nissan Sunny Classic rental for me, vroom vroom...

Last edited by Johnnyboy11; Feb 20th 2013 at 1:26 am.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 3:01 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11
I'd go for either the xTerra or Fortuner, both come in 4.0l flavours and are relatively cheap and easy to get serviced/ parts for in Qatar. Rough price guide here and here, and you get decent discounts at Ramadan if you can wait.

A Prado or similar 4x4 costs about QR5k/m to rent which is too expensive for my taste, so a Nissan Sunny Classic rental for me, vroom vroom...
You'd think the xterra was awesome in the desert and to a certain extent it is, but it actually feels a bit low on power (despite its 4.0 engine) and the stock suspension is way too soft. You'll bottom out all the time which can be both annoying and eventually expensive...

Renting is a non-option if you want a desert capable car due to excessive cost in my opinion. Also I don't think the insurance they provide will cover offroad..

Last edited by norsk; Feb 20th 2013 at 3:06 am.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 7:32 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
If you are thinking of off-roading then the Pajero is a good on-road / off-road car. You'll lose the rear bumper dune bashing it though. Make sure it is the 3.8l - the 3l is hopeless.

Other off-road options in approx price order - L/C, Patrol (super safari not the new shape), Prado, FJ, Pathfinder, Fortuner (4l), Xterra.

or get a truck, a nice Ford F150 Raptor.
No 3.0 anymore mate, 3.5 is the weapon of choice and just about copes with the bigger Dunes.

I would rather kill myself than drive a Nissan or Toyota, the Raptor is a bit special, I owned one for 3 hours in December until it was sold to the 1st expat that saw it. Grand Cherokee is a great car, we took a 5.7 Overland in the desert and it was too good, we tried to get it stuck and failed.

Depends on what the guy wants to spend really.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 7:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by norsk
You'd think the xterra was awesome in the desert and to a certain extent it is, but it actually feels a bit low on power (despite its 4.0 engine)
This is because for some reason, the engine management system does not allow wide open throttle until the engine has reached 3000ish RPM. This is annoying in soft sand when you need all the power you can find at low revs. Of course, it can be turned off if you know who to ask.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 7:54 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

This is because for some reason, the engine management system does not allow wide open throttle until the engine has reached 3000ish RPM. This is annoying in soft sand when you need all the power you can find at low revs. Of course, it can be turned off if you know who to ask.
oh really? i don't actually have an xterra myself but a couple of my friends do so i'll be sure to let them know about this...
Old Feb 20th 2013, 8:01 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

Originally Posted by britexpat76
Grand Cherokee is a great car, we took a 5.7 Overland in the desert and it was too good, we tried to get it stuck and failed.
This is very interesting. I know the Cherokee Classic is a common car with the local crowd in the desert, but always thought the Grand Cherokee would be too tame. Any problems with bumpers and other parts coming off easily?

I'm looking for a combined family and desert car at the moment and have been leaning towards a Prado, but if I can avoid it I will most certainly try..
Old Feb 20th 2013, 8:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

This is very interesting. I know the Cherokee Classic is a common car with the local crowd in the desert, but always thought the Grand Cherokee would be too tame. Any problems with bumpers and other parts coming off easily?

I'm looking for a combined family and desert car at the moment and have been leaning towards a Prado, but if I can avoid it I will most certainly try..
Get a 4.8 VTEC patrol (super safari). There is a reason why the locals have them.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 8:32 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

This is very interesting. I know the Cherokee Classic is a common car with the local crowd in the desert, but always thought the Grand Cherokee would be too tame. Any problems with bumpers and other parts coming off easily? .
Nope, and we really abused it going through the water etc. I cannot recommend it enough mate. Far better than a toyota shitbox mate.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

Have known a few people with Grand Cherokees in the past (Saudi) and they were "fragile" but the new (2012) one seems much better so interesting what britexpat76 says. I test drove one in the UK and it was a great cruiser with plenty of toys - much better than a Prado. Not much sand in the UK though! Question is - what sort of price are they in Qatar. If Pajero money then it's an option. Can't afford Landcruiser or Patrol rates though.

What about a VW Tourag? Old ones had low range but don't think the new ones do. Don't intend to be doing serious dune bashing - more sticking to bedu tracks and rig roads.

Looked up the F150 though and it's certainly a beast! Bugger to park down the Mall I bet!
Old Feb 20th 2013, 9:13 am
Shark Fisherman

Originally Posted by mrkjd
Have known a few people with Grand Cherokees in the past (Saudi) and they were "fragile" but the new (2012) one seems much better so interesting what britexpat76 says. I test drove one in the UK and it was a great cruiser with plenty of toys - much better than a Prado. Not much sand in the UK though! Question is - what sort of price are they in Qatar. If Pajero money then it's an option. Can't afford Landcruiser or Patrol rates though.

What about a VW Tourag? Old ones had low range but don't think the new ones do. Don't intend to be doing serious dune bashing - more sticking to bedu tracks and rig roads.

Looked up the F150 though and it's certainly a beast! Bugger to park down the Mall I bet!
The 2012 GC starts at about QR120, I had the Overland which was all singing and dancing. Think it was about QR180 new, Mine was 2012 10k on clock and I sold it for about QR150 - Prado money. I would have another one in a flash it was that good. Tourag is OK, they got rid of the V8 though and I think they only have the V6 now. No Idea what it is like off road but I would guess fairly poor!
Old Feb 20th 2013, 9:20 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

Get a 4.8 VTEC patrol (super safari). There is a reason why the locals have them.
Yep I know and it's certainly an option, but they seem to be fairly rare (at least with a lowish mileage) and not terribly cheap from looking at dubizzle. Also my wife would probably say it looks a bit agricultural...
Old Feb 20th 2013, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

JGC moves to top of list then with the trusty Pajero a solid second place!

BritExpat76 - Imagine the Overland's ghutra blind spot / lane change radar thingy alarms must have been working overtime in Doha!
Old Feb 20th 2013, 9:53 am
Shark Fisherman

Originally Posted by mrkjd
JGC moves to top of list then with the trusty Pajero a solid second place!

BritExpat76 - Imagine the Overland's ghutra blind spot / lane change radar thingy alarms must have been working overtime in Doha!
Erm, do they have them?! I can tell you the AC Seats are great, the 5.7 Hemi a monster, Nav works as does the bluetooth. I don't really know what most the other buttons do usually.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.