4x4

Old Feb 5th 2008, 7:26 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4x4

Get a 4x4 just dont try to drive it like you would a car or in fact drive like a local. 4x4's are heavier and have a higher centre of gravity so cornering etc should be treated differently than you would in a car. Breaking distances can be further as well (depends on make/model/brakes etc as some are as good if not better than cars).

4x4's are safe generally (dont buy chinese ever) its just that people try to drive them like a sports car and then get all antsy when the beast objects and flips over. (trust me on this, i know and they do object!)

Despite news that they are not good in crash tests that info is largely based on testing of older models which did not have crumple zones, air bags, abs, side protection bars etc. if you check out ncap you can see that just about the safest car to drive is a vw toureg. http://www.euroncap.com/large_off_road_4_4.aspx

what i'd love to see is the test results for patrols and landcruisers and some tests of newer 4x4's vs small family cars and mpv's. I have a strong suspicion that the laws of momentum will be in force and that they wont fare well against 4x4's in any impact given a like for like safety specification. Eg last year i saw a rav4 literally cut in half by a landcruiser on al sofouh road....not a nice sight.

oh and dont buy a landie or range, very sweet though they are, it will spend its life offroad in the garage and when it does tha cost of parts out here for them is criminal. ( i know guys who pay the shipping on parts from the uk because its faster and cheaper than getting them locally)
Old Feb 5th 2008, 7:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

the only 4x4 I have driven is a colleagues FJ Cruiser
Really didnt like being sat up so high in a top heavy car that rolled too much in the bends.

prefer a low sporty car!
Old Feb 5th 2008, 7:46 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
the only 4x4 I have driven is a colleagues FJ Cruiser
Really didnt like being sat up so high in a top heavy car that rolled too much in the bends.

prefer a low sporty car!
thats why i changed the suspension in my 4x4!!! taking corners was less like driving a boat afterwards
Old Feb 5th 2008, 10:24 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
Keep dipping and and out of this one - are 4x4's safer? from what I can make it - it seems they are not as safe as people first think they are - is that a fair summary?
Yep

The popularly-held idea that a 4x4 is safer because it's bigger and taller than other cars is nonsense, unfortunately. 4x4s aren't inherently safer and they're much more likely to roll in even a low-speed accident than a normal car is. You're also much more likely to lose control and roll if you try and swerve to avoid something at speed.

Does anyone here have an X5? Any good - would you recommend them?
They always score badly in reviews by the motoring press, but that never seems to stop people buying them. Never underestimate the power of that "BMW" badge on the bonnet

Was looking at a buying a used Land / Range Rover when I get out there - eventually, things are moving v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y here.
Don't bother - both Land and Range Rovers are hideously unreliable and insanely expensive to repair when they go wrong (and they *will* go wrong). If you must, buy new (it'll still go wrong) and sell it before the free servicing period runs out.

If you want a big 4x4 that's got a bit of cachet and is actually reliable into the bargain, either go for a Merc, a Lexus or a Landcruiser.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 4:20 am
**** it we'll do it live

for cachet get a lexus lx470 or the new 570 when its out or a vxr landcruiser. utterly reliable and will never break down. will also hold its value in an unreasonable way. if you do have a problem parts are cheap as chips and available everywhere.

X5 is a horrible thing but buy it if you must, it has a failry decent safety rating and as it was designed primarily for on road use handles better than most 4x4's on the road. just dont take it offroad without a big bag of spare parts
Old Feb 6th 2008, 5:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
for cachet get a lexus lx470 or the new 570 when its out or a vxr landcruiser. utterly reliable and will never break down. will also hold its value in an unreasonable way. if you do have a problem parts are cheap as chips and available everywhere.

X5 is a horrible thing but buy it if you must, it has a failry decent safety rating and as it was designed primarily for on road use handles better than most 4x4's on the road. just dont take it offroad without a big bag of spare parts
but the landcruiser/lexus is ugly with a Toyata interior!
Old Feb 6th 2008, 5:28 am
**** it we'll do it live

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
but the landcruiser/lexus is ugly with a Toyata interior!
yup but once you've tinted the windows you can drive anyway you please and people will flee at the sight of you. speed limits and road manners will no longer concern you, nor will parking spaces.

oh and did i mention it probably wont break...ever
Old Feb 6th 2008, 9:04 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

I would love an X5 - preferably in silver, and yes it is for snob value
Old Feb 6th 2008, 9:30 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I would love an X5 - preferably in silver, and yes it is for snob value
X5s are way too common out here to have any snob value

You know what they say... BMWs are like arseholes... everybody's got one
Old Feb 6th 2008, 9:33 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarethR

well...you'd be stuck without it....
Old Feb 6th 2008, 9:34 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarethR

You don't see as many X5's as you do Pajeros though, I still want one !
Old Feb 6th 2008, 9:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

You don't see as many X5's as you do Pajeros though, I still want one !
told you...you can buy mine, lol...

MM, xx
Old Feb 6th 2008, 9:55 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say Volvo, Saab and Audi have more snob value in that market segment...
Old Feb 6th 2008, 10:16 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
told you...you can buy mine, lol...

MM, xx
husband not shifting on this one, only had the Pajero a year so he keeps saying no
Old Feb 6th 2008, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Cham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to behold

husband not shifting on this one, only had the Pajero a year so he keeps saying no
i dunno what happened to my post from yesterday but the x5 is great on the road... but if you think you have a chance of hitting a small pebble or stone, then you're better off with the pajero... my mum's honda jazz has more off-road capability than the x5!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.