4x4

Old Feb 2nd 2008, 11:55 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4x4

speed has got me out of a few tricky situations just recently, especially on the SZR - you very rarely slow down on there to avoid a potential situation it is more likely you put your foot down to get the f out of there! the brakes work perfectly well, the car is only a year old. I don't know many people who buy cars based on their breaking system over their engine capacity?
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 12:29 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
you very rarely slow down on there to avoid a potential situation it is more likely you put your foot down to get the f out of there!
I can honestly say I've never had to speed up on SZR to avoid a situation, but I've had to brake many times, usually when some twat decides to pull across in front of me.

I don't know many people who buy cars based on their breaking system over their engine capacity?
Indeed not! I was just pointing out that, unless you join a roundabout or something at the wrong time, you'll be avoiding accidents by braking far more frequently than you'll be avoiding accidents by accelerating
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 12:52 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarethR
Indeed not! I was just pointing out that, unless you join a roundabout or something at the wrong time, you'll be avoiding accidents by braking far more frequently than you'll be avoiding accidents by accelerating
The way cars (and often lorries/buses) take roundabouts here, you could pull out when it looks safe and the next thing you know you're about to be crunched.

Same as getting down slip roads - you use them properly but some drivers seem to think you have a personal grudge against them by getting ahead of them on the motorway.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 1:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

i still have to say that with 2 young kids, i do feel safer in a 4x4 here...it's not a car i'd ever choose if i didn't have kids, but the fact you are higher up than many other cars gives me a sense of security, because i feel we'd stnd a better chance in a crash than in an ordinary car...

MM, xx
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 2:06 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
i still have to say that with 2 young kids, i do feel safer in a 4x4 here
Yes, lots of people do, but unfortunately it's an illusory feeling of safety.

i feel we'd stnd a better chance in a crash than in an ordinary car...
If you checked out the actual stats, you'd probably be quite shocked. In even a low-speed accident, a 4x4 is far more likely to roll over than a standard car. There are numerous documented cases of collisions between 4x4s and normal cars in which the occupants of the 4x4 came off worst because they rolled and the normal car didn't.

An uncle of mine is a professor who works in vehicle accident analysis and prevention... the things he's told me Seriously, if you think you're safer in a 4x4 because it's bigger and higher than other cars, I'm afraid you're wrong. There are many normal cars that have far higher crash safety ratings than any 4x4s, and even in Dubai you'd be far better off if you were in one of those in accident rather than your 4x4.

Happy motoring!
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 2:38 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, lots of people do, but unfortunately it's an illusory feeling of safety.

If you checked out the actual stats, you'd probably be quite shocked. In even a low-speed accident, a 4x4 is far more likely to roll over than a standard car. There are numerous documented cases of collisions between 4x4s and normal cars in which the occupants of the 4x4 came off worst because they rolled and the normal car didn't.

An uncle of mine is a professor who works in vehicle accident analysis and prevention... the things he's told me Seriously, if you think you're safer in a 4x4 because it's bigger and higher than other cars, I'm afraid you're wrong. There are many normal cars that have far higher crash safety ratings than any 4x4s, and even in Dubai you'd be far better off if you were in one of those in accident rather than your 4x4.

Happy motoring!

how much you want for the Cherokee?
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 2:48 pm

dreamcatcher is an unknown quantity at this point

Other than sending you lovely people some
Iv just popped in because I love 4by4.It is the most economic,and lovely motor.Iv driven thousands of miles in it,brillant vision, on awkward roads,good in traffic,bad weather good weather,we have moved in it,slept in it,driven from the botom of spain through france all over UK in it.By the way its a 16yr old Toyota Surf.Just love it.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 3:19 pm
Soupy twist

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
how much you want for the Cherokee?
Cherokee's not as high as many other 4x4s... helps mitigate its tendency to roll

TBH, I bought it in the full knowledge that it's no safer than most cars. I bought it because I wanted to tool around in a big 4x4 while I could afford it
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 3:26 pm
Concierge

Cherokee's not as high as many other 4x4s... helps mitigate its tendency to roll

TBH, I bought it in the full knowledge that it's no safer than most cars. I bought it because I wanted to tool around in a big 4x4 while I could afford it
Honestly is an admirable quality Gareth me too!!!
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 3:27 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say that being able to have the power to move faster is very important indeed....can't really see how one would dispute that.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 3:30 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by MataHari
I'd say that being able to have the power to move faster is very important indeed....can't really see how one would dispute that.
definately, even if you don't use it it is nice to know that it is there
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Cham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to behold

cherokee's are more likely to roll because of the yank suspension... it's not just the centre of gravity that makes it dangerous...

but yeah there's been loads of crash test data between normal cars and 4x4's and the 4x4's don't exactly come off well...

as for the braking aspect... that's one thing i'll check when test driving a car... my current car is so light that is stops well short of almost anything else on the road... the problem is, you hesitate at a roundabout and brake, or slam the anchors on a road... the person behind you is likely to slam into you!
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Benson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to behold

Don't buy Chinese!!!
Old Feb 4th 2008, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

I can understand the safety myth around 4WD's.

It looks like it would be safer, because a regular car is nowhere near where you'd think it might do some damage.

But once it tips over...

Seat belts, airbags,side intrusion bars and crumple zones do a lot more good than height.

And seeign a car after a collision with a 4WD is a bit scary, unless you are an engineer, and you realise that the 'cage' in the centre is still intact and the passengers weren't squashed by the other car.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

Quickyj has a brilliant futureQuickyj has a brilliant futureQuickyj has a brilliant futureQuickyj has a brilliant futureQuickyj has a brilliant futureQuickyj has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by MataHari
so what do you drive...lol
HOnda s2000 at the moment and i bloody love it, dont want to let it go....i would probably live in it if possible....

i love the fact i posted this randomly and there's been a hefty response. From now on i will appoint myself, poster of all that is random.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.