Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

4 months in Dubai - the verdict.

4 months in Dubai - the verdict.

Old Dec 14th 2004, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

thetink is on a distinguished road
Default 4 months in Dubai - the verdict.

Been working in Dubai since August. This is what how I feel about the place.

Dubai is an awful place. I have been here since August having lived abroad extensivey.

Essentially if you come here you will be living in a huge building site- a city that is is the process of being built. In a few years when everything is finished I'm sure it will be much nicer but right now it is hell.

Firstly there is no adequate infrastructure to cope with the huge influx of expats here. They are buidling thousands of high rise flats but the roads just can't cope. Those majority driving on the dusty roads here are selfish arrogant fools who like to harrass the law abiding motorists by flashing their lights in their jeeps behind you on ther freeway expecting you to move into the slower lane - muppets!

For me, Dubai is the great discovery to all the Brits who didn't quite make it in the UK. Here with the petrol so cheap, narrow minded extravagance sets in and the materialistic 4 x 4 jeeps make many feel that they have hit the big time. With a luxury villa and a maid to boot, we see the very sad exploitation of Phillipinos and Indians by selfish Brits. It is the nearest we'll get to returning to the days of slavery and colonialism but to those whose idle needs are met, it's paradise.

Dubai is a cultural desert. There is nothing much going on here. That suits most of us mindless Brits who are happy just to go out and get smashed in many of the luxurious hotel bars. Then an ride home from another exploited Indian in a taxi. Cringe.

Could write loads more about the unfinished city that is Dubai. Before youy come here ask your self if you want to join the selfish Brits out here. Do you want to be stuck in traffic jams, endure horrendous heat and rely on your car to go everywhere?

The real people never come here but those who do make it, follow the flock and settle in to their materialistc existence, happy to have their own little England in the Middle East.

A sad stae of affairs indeed.

thetink

P.S I am British
Old Dec 14th 2004, 5:17 pm
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4 months in Dubai - the verdict.

Originally Posted by thetink

Dubai is an awful place. I have been here since August having lived abroad extensivey.

Essentially if you come here you will be living in a huge building site- a city that is is the process of being built. In a few years when everything is finished I'm sure it will be much nicer but right now it is hell.

Firstly there is no adequate infrastructure to cope with the huge influx of expats here. They are buidling thousands of high rise flats but the roads just can't cope. Those majority driving on the dusty roads here are selfish arrogant fools who like to harrass the law abiding motorists by flashing their lights in their jeeps behind you on ther freeway expecting you to move into the slower lane - muppets!

For me, Dubai is the great discovery to all the Brits who didn't quite make it in the UK. Here with the petrol so cheap, narrow minded extravagance sets in and the materialistic 4 x 4 jeeps make many feel that they have hit the big time. With a luxury villa and a maid to boot, we see the very sad exploitation of Phillipinos and Indians by selfish Brits. It is the nearest we'll get to returning to the days of slavery and colonialism but to those whose idle needs are met, it's paradise.

Dubai is a cultural desert. There is nothing much going on here. That suits most of us mindless Brits who are happy just to go out and get smashed in many of the luxurious hotel bars. Then an ride home from another exploited Indian in a taxi. Cringe.

Could write loads more about the unfinished city that is Dubai. Before youy come here ask your self if you want to join the selfish Brits out here. Do you want to be stuck in traffic jams, endure horrendous heat and rely on your car to go everywhere?

The real people never come here but those who do make it, follow the flock and settle in to their materialistc existence, happy to have their own little England in the Middle East.

thetink

P.S I am British
U sounds very frustrated indeed...

Welcome on board.
Old Dec 14th 2004, 5:27 pm
TA5
Banned (Always Correct)

TA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond repute

He pretty much hit the nail on the head. But as it relates to people in jeeps who flash their lights at other people...if you can't beat 'em, join 'em!
Attached Thumbnails 4 months in Dubai - the verdict.-im001844.jpg  

Last edited by TA5; Dec 14th 2004 at 5:31 pm.
Old Dec 14th 2004, 5:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Palm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nice

thetink

P.S I am British

Wow, strong words BRIT. I am too tired and just about to go to bed to get into it too much but try not to generalize, please! Some of what you say, might be true but really, it only fits a handful of people including the Brits. I am a British passport holder but of international origin and have travelled extensively and feel that I can make reasonable comparisons.

I for once, absolutely love Dubai, particularly for its imperfections. Just learning to go with the flow is a fantastic experience. I grew up in a police run country called Switzerland where everyone's life is programmed and ticking like Swiss clock work. I never used to understand people taking the mickey of us but I certainly do now after having spent over a decade in the UK and just over a year in Dubai. I would have great difficulties fitting back into any other society and driving on dusty roads annoying others when my kids struggled to get out of bed, or me for that matter, is quite nice for a change and when I do end up queuing up just nicely, I don't get annoyed. If I don't like it, why not join them. Life is stuck up enough. Of course, I don't agree with dangerous driving but something within reason should be allowed. In a few years to come, we won't have that pleasure to get our cars dusty anymore.

Me and my husband ended up way too successful in the UK but being financially successful also means no quality family life and lots of money down the drain towards taxes. I happily left behind a 7 bedroomed all en-suite house with playroom, utility, study, 3 very large receptions, 1/2 acre land and indoor swimmingpool in exchange for a 3 bedroom apartment in The Greens without a maid to be able to offer my children quality education, decent healthcare, a healthy social life and some quality time with them.

I have not had one day here where I got bored and there is always something new to explore. It is what you make it to be. Like anywhere you can look at things from the bright side or dark side. Same as a glass can be half full or half empty.

I think it is exciting to watch a city grow, just the same as my kids.

I respect everyone's opinion and of course Dubai might not have a lot of things to offer for some but it has a lot for others. Who ever doesn't like it, is free to leave and enjoy all the other headaches and distasters or beauties any city in the world has to offer. I don't know of many cities who aren't dug up in one way or another and causing traffic jams. Common get real! Aren't most of us lucky to be able to choose where we want to live? Many cannot even leave the town where they are living in.

I am not sure, if your post is a wind up in the first place and just meant to cause reactions but if it is real, why the hell did you choose to work here in the first place? Didn't you do some reaserch beforehand? Not very professional from where I stand.

I would recommend you quit your job, get a ban and never come back again and find that little place you will call your own "heaven on earth". Let us know where that would be.
Old Dec 14th 2004, 5:49 pm
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TA5
He pretty much hit the nail on the head. But as it relates to people in jeeps who flash their lights at other people...if you can't beat 'em, join 'em!
I am... join them in Doha...

Nice car TA5
Old Dec 14th 2004, 6:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Palm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nice

I also wondered what is the problem if people choose to live the way they do? Are the Brits harming anyone? They are as individual as anyone else and mixing them in one pot isn't fair. So what if they change their attitudes and have a good feel factor? What would I give to be so relaxed and know how to enjoy life to the full and not worry about what might come. I might not choose to share the same lifestyle but judging anyone isn't my cup of tea. Life is what we make it to be, for better or worse.

Why are you trying to put off potential residents of Dubai to come here, just because of a bunch of Brits who seem to wind you up? Anybody clever enough, will check it out first and see what it is they like or don't like about Dubai. Yes, Dubai used to be a desert and still has plenty to offer but as for a cultural desert, I couldn't disagree more. Through my children, I am getting to see how other cultures from all over the world live and how welcoming they are and how tolerant to invite someone with different believes and background to their prescious homes. In Europe, people would be scared or ashamed to invite you but here, everyone can be proud of themselves. I used to think that through my studies, work and travel, I knew the world but boy was I wrong. Everyday, I am learning something new and feel ashamed, how even I was sucked in by media even though I always preach how misleading they are.

Anyway, the Brits are a minority in Dubai but seems like they leave a strong impression but don't others too? Aren't we all annoying individuals at times and make an abundance of mistakes? 'Never judge a book by its cover' is a favourite of mine. Who are we to critisize anyone's lifestyle? 'Live and let live' is another good one. There might be plenty of laws out there but we all have our own little mind which plays its own games and we are in no position to pressure others into the rules we have created for ourselves as they might be totally unecceptable to others.

Well, you certainly got me going on this subject. I just love it.
Old Dec 14th 2004, 6:16 pm
semarang

Originally Posted by Palm Tree
I also wondered what is the problem if people choose to live the way they do? Are the Brits harming anyone? They are as individual as anyone else and mixing them in one pot isn't fair. So what if they change their attitudes and have a good feel factor? What would I give to be so relaxed and know how to enjoy life to the full and not worry about what might come. I might not choose to share the same lifestyle but judging anyone isn't my cup of tea. Life is what we make it to be, for better or worse.

Why are you trying to put off potential residents of Dubai to come here, just because of a bunch of Brits who seem to wind you up? Anybody clever enough, will check it out first and see what it is they like or don't like about Dubai. Yes, Dubai used to be a desert and still has plenty to offer but as for a cultural desert, I couldn't disagree more. Through my children, I am getting to see how other cultures from all over the world live and how welcoming they are and how tolerant to invite someone with different believes and background to their prescious homes. In Europe, people would be scared or ashamed to invite you but here, everyone can be proud of themselves. I used to think that through my studies, work and travel, I knew the world but boy was I wrong. Everyday, I am learning something new and feel ashamed, how even I was sucked in by media even though I always preach how misleading they are.

Anyway, the Brits are a minority in Dubai but seems like they leave a strong impression but don't others too? Aren't we all annoying individuals at times and make an abundance of mistakes? 'Never judge a book by its cover' is a favourite of mine. Who are we to critisize anyone's lifestyle? 'Live and let live' is another good one. There might be plenty of laws out there but we all have our own little mind which plays its own games and we are in no position to pressure others into the rules we have created for ourselves as they might be totally unecceptable to others.

Well, you certainly got me going on this subject. I just love it.
I couldn't agree more with u. As u know writing essay is not my strength... but what u wrote is exactly what I am thinking. Afterall if u want to leave as an expat u have to cope in the country where u living. If u think u can't take it... well... you always can go home to ur home country... If u say ppl who living in Dubai are ppl who can't make it back home... well... the tink what r u doing in Dubai?

Well... if u can afford to have a maid in Dubai ... why not??? Afterall that's ur own money u spend for the maid. Nobody else business... And I don't agree about the exploitation of filipinos and indian. I think caucasian family treat the housemaid far much better than the locals.
Old Dec 14th 2004, 6:29 pm
HCAFC

Swingbridge. has a spectacular aura aboutSwingbridge. has a spectacular aura aboutSwingbridge. has a spectacular aura about

thetink

P.S I am British

Tis a God forsaken place to be sure. It's like living in a paper world where everything is two dimensional and has no depth. It's beautification personified, but underneath, it's a withered hag.
Old Dec 14th 2004, 7:10 pm
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swingbridge.
Tis a God forsaken place to be sure. It's like living in a paper world where everything is two dimensional and has no depth. It's beautification personified, but underneath, it's a withered hag.
Quite agree in my opinion place is a piece of s**t! You'll all realise after a year how bad and corrupt it really is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Saying that though bars are still good FD
Old Dec 15th 2004, 1:51 am
Banned

Jellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond repute

thetink

P.S I am British

I agree but been expatting too long to generalise and agree TOO much LOL. I am one of the above by the way
Old Dec 15th 2004, 1:52 am
Banned

Jellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swingbridge.

Leave then and put us all out of our misery
Old Dec 15th 2004, 3:08 am
Banned

(I don't have a 4x4 but yes a villa, albeit much smaller than I am used to, I have also downscaled the staff to one maid and no driver)

(not all Brits are selfish...we all want to get the best out of life we can...after all why are you here poppet)

(Errr who are the "real" people? What is wrong with Egland in the ME, if the locals don't mind why should we LOL?)

P.S I am British[/QUOTE]

(Somebody has to be tink, strange that you have such negative views about yourself)

Welcome to the forum
Old Dec 15th 2004, 3:11 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Palm Tree
Wow, strong words BRIT. I am too tired and just about to go to bed to get into it too much but try not to generalize, please! Some of what you say, might be true but really, it only fits a handful of people including the Brits. I am a British passport holder but of international origin and have travelled extensively and feel that I can make reasonable comparisons.

I for once, absolutely love Dubai, particularly for its imperfections. Just learning to go with the flow is a fantastic experience. I grew up in a police run country called Switzerland where everyone's life is programmed and ticking like Swiss clock work. I never used to understand people taking the mickey of us but I certainly do now after having spent over a decade in the UK and just over a year in Dubai. I would have great difficulties fitting back into any other society and driving on dusty roads annoying others when my kids struggled to get out of bed, or me for that matter, is quite nice for a change and when I do end up queuing up just nicely, I don't get annoyed. If I don't like it, why not join them. Life is stuck up enough. Of course, I don't agree with dangerous driving but something within reason should be allowed. In a few years to come, we won't have that pleasure to get our cars dusty anymore.

Me and my husband ended up way too successful in the UK but being financially successful also means no quality family life and lots of money down the drain towards taxes. I happily left behind a 7 bedroomed all en-suite house with playroom, utility, study, 3 very large receptions, 1/2 acre land and indoor swimmingpool in exchange for a 3 bedroom apartment in The Greens without a maid to be able to offer my children quality education, decent healthcare, a healthy social life and some quality time with them.

I have not had one day here where I got bored and there is always something new to explore. It is what you make it to be. Like anywhere you can look at things from the bright side or dark side. Same as a glass can be half full or half empty.

I think it is exciting to watch a city grow, just the same as my kids.

I respect everyone's opinion and of course Dubai might not have a lot of things to offer for some but it has a lot for others. Who ever doesn't like it, is free to leave and enjoy all the other headaches and distasters or beauties any city in the world has to offer. I don't know of many cities who aren't dug up in one way or another and causing traffic jams. Common get real! Aren't most of us lucky to be able to choose where we want to live? Many cannot even leave the town where they are living in.

I am not sure, if your post is a wind up in the first place and just meant to cause reactions but if it is real, why the hell did you choose to work here in the first place? Didn't you do some reaserch beforehand? Not very professional from where I stand.

I would recommend you quit your job, get a ban and never come back again and find that little place you will call your own "heaven on earth". Let us know where that would be.

Well said PT, for a change I agree with you LOL

I for one would be interested in where this tink has been before here that must have been so marvelous LOL
Old Dec 15th 2004, 3:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

thetink

P.S I am British
I'm a young (ish) Civil Engineer......where else would I rather be?!?!

Re: the indians and filipino's...I don't think they're exploited.....they are apparently doing very well for themselves.....and they came here of their own free will as they're better off here than at home. (so I understand).

I am not british (i'm from NZ) but I spent a year in the UK until May this year when I came here and my 2 cents worth...living in the UK was much worse - nothing to do there but sit in a pub and watch sport (actually - not even sport - just blimmin' football. Dont' get me started on life in the UK.......

You can do that here and so much more.

Anyway - if you don't like it...no one's making you stay......some of your opinions are quite valid and yes this place can be frustrating......but the positives far FAR outweight the negatives me thinks.

Have a nice flight home.
Old Dec 15th 2004, 4:00 am
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by TA5

well sed! When in Rome...... if one wishes to fit in, its prolly best to try and adapt, even though it may be tuff at 1st.

kewl pic TA5..... now I know which jeep to look out 4! lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.