Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

28 Days on/off, has anyone bet the system

28 Days on/off, has anyone bet the system

Old Nov 24th 2013, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

Howie1973 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 28 Days on/off, has anyone bet the system

I am in the process of hopefully getting a job in the ME with a 28 on off rotation. From what i have read i am only allowed to be in the UK for only 90 days max per year. So having a wife and 2 kids i can see this being a problem.

Has anyone ever managed to work out a solution to this or can help with some good advice.

Wife and 2 kids can't move over.

thanks
Old Nov 25th 2013, 3:09 am
Just Joined

sman987 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 28 Days on/off, has anyone bet the system

Conveniently forget when you were in the country. I was in Saudi in the 2000's and was regularly in the UK for vacations and numerous business trips and so flipped over the 90 day rule consistently -- If you have an overseas address, don't get paid in the UK and avoid any other strong connections with the UK you are fine -- (i.e., remove yourself from utility bills, electoral roll, etc.)... I know some guy that was in the UK for a month every two months similar to you and he never paid any tax.
Old Nov 25th 2013, 3:18 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sman987
Conveniently forget when you were in the country.
Yeah cause they don't scan your passport/retina when you enter and leave the UK, so no official records, phew!

Last edited by mikewot; Nov 25th 2013 at 4:23 am.
Old Nov 25th 2013, 4:30 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Buy a flat in Amsterdam, Dublin, Spain, France, Italy or wherever.... Meet them there.
Old Nov 25th 2013, 4:49 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikewot
Yeah cause they don't scan your passport/retina when you enter and leave the UK, so no official records, phew!
So many bloated government departments in the UK . They left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing . In theory they could check all that stuff . In practice it is just too much to go through .
Old Nov 25th 2013, 4:51 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

If you spend half a year in the UK maybe you should pay tax.
Old Dec 1st 2013, 4:52 am
Happy To Help!

TopNik is a jewel in the roughTopNik is a jewel in the roughTopNik is a jewel in the roughTopNik is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Howie1973
I am in the process of hopefully getting a job in the ME with a 28 on off rotation. From what i have read i am only allowed to be in the UK for only 90 days max per year. So having a wife and 2 kids i can see this being a problem.

Has anyone ever managed to work out a solution to this or can help with some good advice.

Wife and 2 kids can't move over
Hello Howie1973,

Residency is a very complex area and the existing HMRC UK residency rules have changed with effect from the current tax year (2013/14) which involves the new statutory residence test (SRT).

Ties such as home, work, family etc. in the UK may class you as UK resident for tax purposes regardless of where you reside.

If classed as UK resident you would then be taxed on your worldwide income so it is very important that your individual circumstances are dealt with correctly to protect your residency status and exposure to UK taxation so I would strongly advise that you seek professional advice in relation to this.
Old Dec 1st 2013, 4:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Get a second nationality and use that passport for entry.
Old Dec 1st 2013, 5:53 am
Off Topic

northbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nice

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Get a second nationality and use that passport for entry.
Don't use any bank or loyalty cards and keep your mobile phone always off while at home ...
Old Dec 1st 2013, 8:21 am
Just Joined

KSADoonhamer is an unknown quantity at this point

My mate did what was explained above, rented a place in Spain fir the duration of his job then moved his partner out there so he could go see her and the family on his 'off cycle'
Old Dec 1st 2013, 9:23 am

rowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond repute

Right, now he has avoided paying tax, how does he claim benefits for his family as well?
Old Dec 1st 2013, 9:36 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

This poster has already contacted me and I have given him the correct information, but it doesn't appear to suit him so he's after another answer it seems...
Old Dec 1st 2013, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikewot
They do scan your passport when you enter UK.
Old Dec 1st 2013, 11:39 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soukie
uuumm yes I know that. My middle name is facetious
Old Dec 1st 2013, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soukie
He was being ironic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.