Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

22 year old female moving to Riyadh

22 year old female moving to Riyadh

Old May 29th 2013, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

hi1091 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 22 year old female moving to Riyadh

Hello, I'm new here. I just have a few inquiries about life in Saudi Arabia for a 22 yr old female as I am moving to Riyadh in the very near future. I also don't want to bombard my employer with questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've been looking at Abayas online because I'd like to have one before I leave and I found an abaya that I like with buttons on the front. Would this be acceptable or should I go for plain black with no decoration? Also, it is required that I be wearing my abaya and hijab when I step off the plane?

I will be travelling alone. In the absence of a male relative, who typically acts as guardian? Am I correct in saying I am not allowed to step outside of the compound without a male, so no grocery shopping, banking etc. without said guardian? Are there organized trips to take care of these things?

Thanks again for any help provided.

Last edited by hi1091; May 29th 2013 at 2:14 pm.
Old May 29th 2013, 2:12 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 22 year old female moving to Riyadh

Originally Posted by hi1091
Hello, I'm new here. I just have a few inquiries about life in Saudi Arabia for a 22 yr old female as I am moving to Riyadh in the very near future. I also don't want to bombard my employer with questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've been looking at Abayas online because I'd like to have one before I leave and I found an abaya that I like with buttons on the front. Would this be acceptable or should I go for plain black with no decoration? Also, it is required that I be wearing my abaya and hijab when I step off the plane?

I will be travelling alone. In the absence of a male relative, who typically acts as guardian? Am I correct in saying I am not allowed to step outside of the compound without a male, so no grocery shopping, banking etc. without said guardian?

Jeez, and I thought moving with with wife kids and pets was stressful. Seriously, good luck, never lived in Saudi but a fair few people here have.

What's the job going to be?
Old May 29th 2013, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

hi1091 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kix
Jeez, and I thought moving with with wife kids and pets was stressful. Seriously, good luck, never lived in Saudi but a fair few people here have.

What's the job going to be?
Yeah I'm gonna need all the luck lol

Teaching English to female students going into university.
Old May 29th 2013, 2:29 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Yeah I'm gonna need all the luck lol

Teaching English to female students going into university.
There will be a lot of people on here who will advise you better but, before they're here I understand that basically from stepping out the airport to getting to your compound an abaya is needed, how you get there is somewhat a grey area, obviously you're not allowed under sharia to get a male driven taxi - and women can't drive in the magic kingdom, however I'm sure that is pretty much overlooked.

Aren't your employers providing the transport? That would be best.

Believe me, the first 24 hours are the worst!

After that it just goes downhill ;-) lol
Old May 29th 2013, 2:40 pm
Just Joined

omar saqib is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: 22 year old female moving to Riyadh

hello

you need not worry too much

you can wear any abaya with buttons or not. any colour you like.
generally people wear black here, but many women from Lebanon / Egypt wear blue/ brown etc.

you need not cover your face with a veil, its not necessary

you can step out of your compound alone. you dont need any male guardian for that.
male guardian is only needed for Saudi Women travelling outside kingdom.
for expats it doesnt apply

you can do your shopping , grocery etc alone in any mall.

Compounds usually provide a organized shopping service weekly or bi-weekly.

best of luck for your job: thumbsup:

for any further info pls. email at : <snippysnip>

Last edited by Bob; May 29th 2013 at 3:38 pm.
Old May 29th 2013, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by omar saqib

for any further info pls. email at : <snippysnip>
Omar's quick to pounce eh!
Old May 29th 2013, 8:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Saudi Arabia will be a life-changing experience. I taught there for many years but on the male side. You will gain many insights ninto liofe in a different society. Some bad, some good.
Old May 29th 2013, 8:53 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

I will be travelling alone. In the absence of a male relative, who typically acts as guardian? Am I correct in saying I am not allowed to step outside of the compound without a male, so no grocery shopping, banking etc. without said guardian? Are there organized trips to take care of these things?

Probably best to have an Abaya before you travel so you don't feel awkward . You can get them here for as little as 75 riyal though . My wife goes out on her own all the time and apart from a few problems with taxi drivers no problems . It's not as daunting as people make out and you might be surprised at how normal a lot of things are here . Your company should pick you up at the airport though . Good luck .
Old May 30th 2013, 6:30 am
Northerner - Obhur

Spurss is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
Probably best to have an Abaya before you travel so you don't feel awkward . You can get them here for as little as 75 riyal though . My wife goes out on her own all the time and apart from a few problems with taxi drivers no problems . It's not as daunting as people make out and you might be surprised at how normal a lot of things are here . Your company should pick you up at the airport though . Good luck .

WELCOME TO MY COUNTRY
Old Jun 1st 2013, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

M.ZIZO is an unknown quantity at this point

you have allot of programs you can join and enjoy it in summer and winter just you have to be with one of the member
Old Jun 7th 2013, 6:32 am
It's not going to fit..

Bored_in_Riyadh is just really niceBored_in_Riyadh is just really niceBored_in_Riyadh is just really niceBored_in_Riyadh is just really niceBored_in_Riyadh is just really niceBored_in_Riyadh is just really niceBored_in_Riyadh is just really niceBored_in_Riyadh is just really nice

Hi there

Been in-country for 10 months now - happy to help answer any questions you may have.

Dx