Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

21 YO Looking to work abroad any help please?!

21 YO Looking to work abroad any help please?!

Old Nov 9th 2019, 9:56 pm
Just Joined

hmoore97 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 21 YO Looking to work abroad any help please?!

Hi there I am wondering if anyone can help me in basically understanding what I can do with the current qualifications I have as far as working in the Middle East is confirmed.

I am 21 years old with and have completed a HNC in Civil Engineering and I am pondering starting my HND. I am currently employed as a land surveyor and have been since the age of 18 undertaking a lot of site engineering work on the day to day. The opportunity of working abroad especially in the Middle East or Australia as a setting out/ site engineer has always interested me and I am looking for clarification as to whether these said qualification can be enough to get work. I would also be interested in furthering my education whilst working if at all possible. Thank you for taking the time to read and apologies if there are other threads similar in nature that I have missed!!

Last edited by hmoore97; Nov 9th 2019 at 10:17 pm.
Old Nov 10th 2019, 4:50 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 21 YO Looking to work abroad any help please?!

Originally Posted by hmoore97
Hi there I am wondering if anyone can help me in basically understanding what I can do with the current qualifications I have as far as working in the Middle East is confirmed.

I am 21 years old with and have completed a HNC in Civil Engineering and I am pondering starting my HND. I am currently employed as a land surveyor and have been since the age of 18 undertaking a lot of site engineering work on the day to day. The opportunity of working abroad especially in the Middle East or Australia as a setting out/ site engineer has always interested me and I am looking for clarification as to whether these said qualification can be enough to get work. I would also be interested in furthering my education whilst working if at all possible. Thank you for taking the time to read and apologies if there are other threads similar in nature that I have missed!!
You're unlikely to get work in the engineering world without a degree in the ME..... unless you find a willing Contractor (can happen but relatively rare) and even if you do, you'll be up against chaps from the sub continent who will work for a lot less than I expect you'll be happy with.

So either further your studies (Open Uni?) or try elsewhere is my advice.
Old Nov 10th 2019, 5:24 am
BE Enthusiast

reddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond repute

What Jamsmack said is correct. The only young Engineering graduates i work with are nationals of that country and without a degree the clients wouldnt look at you
Old Nov 10th 2019, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with the previous two comments. In Saudi , construction / contracting is pretty much dominated by those from Eastern and Arab countries especially when it comes to land surveying. Salaries are quire low, and these guys will have a degree to their name. Realistically, Western Expats will be at minimum Construction Manager level ( not lower ) and with a lot of experience and degree qualifed.
Old Nov 17th 2019, 5:38 am
BE Enthusiast

HiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond repute

Chin up,
These dinoes have forgotten what it was to be young.
The best advise they did give I an echo education is important.
Who you work for is also important. You need to work for the most respectable names.
The big five contractors are multinationals these will afford you the greatest opportunity for travel in the future.
When at a top contractor enroll in the graduate training programme.
Take every shit arse short term assignment fixing some one else's **** up over seas.

I got my first grown up job over sees at 26, good luck
Old Nov 19th 2019, 2:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I went to work abroad aged 21 (West Berlin in 1968) but generally employers expect some experience in the real world of work.
Old Nov 20th 2019, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

HiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond repute

OMG I didn't know about this phenomena, so 'scot47' is a reference to the location and date of your birth your a 72 year old and from Scotland. In the same vain if 'Hmoore97 is 21 years old. Thus I presume Jam25Mack is 94 years of age or Mr Jam25Mack as I shall hence forth refer to him. I'm surprised that your employers true reason for sending you to Berlin at the height of the cold war has not occurred to you. It is obvious to me why I was chosen to go to Iraq during the Iran Iraq war. I was Young Dumb and Expendable. I later watched the Gulf War unfold from the safety of Turkey. It is important to stress for the benefit of Hmoore97 that although you have a greater chance of working over sees in a war zone there are serious negatives associated with such locations.
Old Nov 20th 2019, 11:16 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HiHo
Chin up,
I'm glad you added your thoughts to the thread, getting lots of different opinions/experiences from people is really useful. Not really any need for the dinoes comment though, others who have posted are generally people who've lived and worked in the Middle East for some years and their thoughts are as least as valuable as yours.
Old Nov 20th 2019, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I'm glad you added your thoughts to the thread, getting lots of different opinions/experiences from people is really useful. Not really any need for the dinoes comment though, others who have posted are generally people who've lived and worked in the Middle East for some years and their thoughts are as least as valuable as yours.
Dear spouce of scouse
You are undoubtedly correct, and were you not, I would still support your right to the hold the opinion. My friendly dig at fellow contributors was in regard to the negative nature of the commentary. When mentoring it is often better to focus on the positive way forward rather than the negatives which we can not avoid. It is encouraging that your up for a fight in the defence of others.

Good Job,
Dave
PS
I'm disappointed for you that I am not more deserving object of your wroth.
Old Nov 20th 2019, 12:05 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Dear spouce of scouse
You are undoubtedly correct, and were you not, I would still support your right to the hold the opinion. My friendly dig at fellow contributors was in regard to the negative nature of the commentary. When mentoring it is often better to focus on the positive way forward rather than the negatives which we can not avoid. It is encouraging that your up for a fight in the defence of others.

Good Job,
Dave
PS
Here, have a beer on me and behave yourself
Old Nov 21st 2019, 3:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Dear spouce of scouse

Good Job,
Dave
PS
That reminds me of when we had a lot of work in Afghanistan and Iraq.

I was doing Afghanistan and didn’t want to add Iraq to the list, so we looked around the office and my boss said “we will send xxx. She doesn’t have any kids”. My word, she didn’t like that comment at all.

Old Nov 21st 2019, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Chin up,
Who you work for is also important. You need to work for the most respectable names.
The big five contractors are multinationals these will afford you the greatest opportunity for travel in the future.
Take every shit arse short term assignment fixing some one else's **** up over seas.

OMG I didn't know about this phenomena, so 'scot47' is a reference to the location and date of your birth your a 72 year old and from Scotland. In the same vain if 'Hmoore97 is 21 years old. Thus I presume Jam25Mack is 94 years of age or Mr Jam25Mack as I shall hence forth refer to him. I'm surprised that your employers true reason for sending you to Berlin at the height of the cold war has not occurred to you. It is obvious to me why I was chosen to go to Iraq during the Iran Iraq war. I was Young Dumb and Expendable. I later watched the Gulf War unfold from the safety of Turkey. It is important to stress for the benefit of Hmoore97 that although you have a greater chance of working over sees in a war zone there are serious negatives associated with such locations.
I'm not really sure why what I said is so bad (in your eyes)..... in my experience its accurate.... I also said its unlikely but not impossible.

I also moved away early (26) and have been away ever since.

Reality doesn't seem to be a concept you're familiar with....
Old Nov 21st 2019, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Unhappy Re: 21 YO Looking to work abroad any help please?!

Originally Posted by jam25mack

Reality doesn't seem to be a concept you're familiar with....
Dear Sir,
Please accept my unreserved apology. I had no intention of offending anyone only a hope to soften the blow with which realty was being dished out.
Old Dec 13th 2019, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

hmoore97 is an unknown quantity at this point

Chin up,

Cheers mate, on my current path I will probably have my Civils degree by the age of 26 was just to see if there was anything out there in the mean time as I’m desperate to travel more but looks like it’s the long term game!