Reload this Page >

2011 Commute from Dubai Marina to Al Muroor area of Abdu Dhabi

2011 Commute from Dubai Marina to Al Muroor area of Abdu Dhabi

Old Mar 1st 2011, 9:17 am
Just Joined

missunderstood is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2011 Commute from Dubai Marina to Al Muroor area of Abdu Dhabi

Hi all

So I have seen lots of threads on this issue but they seem quite out of date now.

Can you let me know what the commute from Dubai into Abu D is like these days?

I am moving in July - am a female driver, and will be working in Al Muroor area juts off airport road in Abu D.

The rents are better in Dubai Marina I am seeing.

Thanks

oops sorry about the typos :S

Last edited by missunderstood; Mar 1st 2011 at 9:22 am. Reason: typo
Old Mar 1st 2011, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2011 Commute from Dubai Marina to Al Muroor area of Abdu Dhabi

with the new bridge open in AD< I would imagine you would be looking at +/-1hr 15mins without breaking any speed limits.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 10:19 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Brains1983
with the new bridge open in AD< I would imagine you would be looking at +/-1hr 15mins without breaking any speed limits.
really... gosh, its still a long time hey.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

Will get even longer soon when the new roadworks at Shamkha start in earnest. The drive in the morning usually isn't too bad, its the wacky races in the evening that make things interesting (especially on a Thursday).
Old Mar 1st 2011, 11:18 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by benzonar
Will get even longer soon when the new roadworks at Shamkha start in earnest. The drive in the morning usually isn't too bad, its the wacky races in the evening that make things interesting (especially on a Thursday).
its the morning that i was most worried about... wacky races in the vening sound interesting...

what about discovery gardens... jebel ali sort of area... its between the two...

confused.com!
Old Mar 1st 2011, 3:02 pm
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute

I live on the palm and drive to Mussafah - takes an hour, can take 1 1/15. That's if there have been no accidents. There were plenty going home on Sunday and the drive took considerably longer.

We car share as its a long, potentially crazy drive. I also try to schedule things in Dubai on a Thursday to avoid the craziness of the drive home on Thursday afternoon where people drive like they have nine lives.

Having said all this I used to drive from Khalidiya corniche to Mussafah and that took anywhere from 35 to 50 mins. I usually saw more accidents on that route...
Old Mar 1st 2011, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lullabelle
I live on the palm and drive to Mussafah - takes an hour, can take 1 1/15. That's if there have been no accidents. There were plenty going home on Sunday and the drive took considerably longer.

We car share as its a long, potentially crazy drive. I also try to schedule things in Dubai on a Thursday to avoid the craziness of the drive home on Thursday afternoon where people drive like they have nine lives.

Having said all this I used to drive from Khalidiya corniche to Mussafah and that took anywhere from 35 to 50 mins. I usually saw more accidents on that route...
I dont mind the hours commute as in London I am currently already doing that... but driving daily twice for that period of time would drive me mad (no pun intended)

How did you find people to car share with? Are they from your company..?
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 4:08 am
Forum Regular

fezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of light

There are plenty of people who do it, but expect the journey to take it out of you as it's not exactly a relaxing drive. If you can look into accomodation off island in Abu Dhabi. Khalifa City A has plenty of 1 beds for less than 60k (look in Abu Dhabi week for adverts). Check out this weeks Timeout article as it may help.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 6:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missunderstood
I dont mind the hours commute as in London I am currently already doing that... but driving daily twice for that period of time would drive me mad (no pun intended)

How did you find people to car share with? Are they from your company..?
I used to do it - it's not actually the amount of time you're in the car that's the problem and driving in England is not in any way comparable. Driving in England is like having a nap and getting a shoulder massage while listening to ambient trance by comparison. Expect at least one serious near miss a week on the Abu Dhabi-Dubai drive, perhaps witness one crash and definitely expect to see some of the craziest driving of over-powered 4X4 vehicles driven by spoilt brat 19 year old Emiratis. Statistically it's the most dangerous stretch of road in the world - my advice would be to come out and have a look before you make any decisions.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 1:34 pm
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute

I car share with people from my company.

The description of the drive above is extremely accurate. And the comparison with uk driving is spot on. You have to concentrate ALL THE TIME as at any second some muppet could kill you by just being an arse. The driving here is something else and the fast lane bullying/overtaking on outside hard shoulder/tailgating is crazy. Mind you, I consoled myself with the thought that emirates road was worse...

It's feasible for me to live in dubai as so many ofmy workmates live there. But I wouldn't do the drive five days a week on my own.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

I've actually found it has improved of late due to them dropping random cameras down to 140kmh on the Abu Dhabi side.

Also it does give you a regular timeslot to do a bit of thinking - in some ways I find it strangely therapeutic
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

interesting views from everyone... i just dont get why there is no fast train from dubai to abu dhabi... they need to fix that up!
Old Mar 4th 2011, 3:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

interesting views from everyone... i just dont get why there is no fast train from dubai to abu dhabi... they need to fix that up!
its in the master plan, but with a lot of new "things" they have all been "delayed"
Old Mar 4th 2011, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

We used the sea plane a couple of times but the service suddenly went overnight. The train idea has been rumoured for years. I hate the Abu Dhabi -Dubai drive so avoid going to Dubai.....
Old Mar 8th 2011, 3:30 am
Just Joined

AlAin Boy is an unknown quantity at this point

The rents in Abudhabi have declined by about 30-40%, you can try Mohammed Ben Zayed city, It has a lot of new buildings and you will be surprised by the prices. My cousin rented a whole villa for almost 100k, Its nice place really..