Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

200k budget - Villa in Dubai

200k budget - Villa in Dubai

Old Mar 11th 2012, 6:58 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 200k budget - Villa in Dubai

Originally Posted by Scamp
Jumeirah Village Triangle is meant to be nice, they hold open days on Fridays I understand. I know no more than that.
I've lived there for 6 weeks now and it is nice BUT unfinished. Parts are being finished off now (I'm in district 4), for example they're putting in the irrigation and leveling the ground for the park and canal running up the middle. Road access is an issue as the only 'official' access is off of the Emirates road heading South, heading North you've got to go to Arabian Ranches interchange to turn around and come back. There is an track underneath the power lines to Springs/Meadows and they've literally just opened part of the main road to drive on instead of desert. But there is still a section which is just tarmac and a lot of construction traffic.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 9:05 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
Out of curiosity - is there a 'standard' housing allowance in Dubai? I mean, is there a "it's usually between 30-45 pct of total overall remuneration" rule, or whatever?

Is it official (i.e. are there Ministry of Labour rules about it, etc)?

More interestingly - do employers stick to it?
Short answer = no.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 10:28 pm
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs
Cheers Lullabelle, I make you right about Jumeirah/Umm Suqeim. The problem is finding a position for my 5 year old (year 1 spaces seem to be highly coveted.) Are you still heading back to the UK for good?
Year 1 spaces are very hard to come by. But persevere and I would highly recommend going to visit the schools you are interested in. We found that there would be no places... And then after a tour a space would miraculously appear. Admissions staff were clearly sizing us, and the kids, up. Emails and phone calls didn't work as effectively

I'm back in the UK now- well actually RIGHT now I'm in France enjoying the spring weather and the free flowing and cheap magnificent wine. Really bloody cold at night though. and the school problem is the same here - son is in the junior school we wanted (after being told it was full when it wasn't... Didn't the cncil think we'd CHECK?) but can't get my daughter into the linked infant school, despite the school saying if it was up to them she'd have a place in a flash as they would be happy to squeeze her in for the remaining term.

Same same, but more. Sort of.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 7:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Short answer = no.
But the percentage is supposed to be between "X" and "Y" - yes? Now - what's X and what's Y?
Old Mar 18th 2012, 10:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know any good estate agents in Dubai? We're coming over at the beginning of April and would like to hook up with an agent who has a broad coverage of the market but no pointy shoes/nice line in BS.

Cheers for any names - PM me if you'd rather be anonymous!
Old Mar 19th 2012, 11:31 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know any good estate agents in Dubai? We're coming over at the beginning of April and would like to hook up with an agent who has a broad coverage of the market but no pointy shoes/nice line in BS.
What area are you looking to live as they're generally area specific.
Old Mar 19th 2012, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikewot
What area are you looking to live as they're generally area specific.
Jumeirah vacinity, Arabian Ranches or Silicon Oasis....
Old Mar 19th 2012, 12:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Jumeirah vacinity, Arabian Ranches or Silicon Oasis....
have you also considered Victory Heights? (next to Ranches) It's as nice as the Ranches but the villas are larger and cheaper. You have shops close by, just not sure if the pools are open.

In the Ranches, you would be well placed to speak with House Hunters or Better Homes. I prefer House Munters as it has better looking staff - they have a cracking looking Egyptian girl who works there (although she does has the voice of Mickey Mouse with a head cold).
Old Mar 19th 2012, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Millhouse
have you also considered Victory Heights? (next to Ranches) It's as nice as the Ranches but the villas are larger and cheaper. You have shops close by, just not sure if the pools are open.

In the Ranches, you would be well placed to speak with House Hunters or Better Homes. I prefer House Munters as it has better looking staff - they have a cracking looking Egyptian girl who works there (although she does has the voice of Mickey Mouse with a head cold).
Hadn't heard of that place but will check it out - thank you. Likewise Egyptian Minnie Mouse.