Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

200k budget - Villa in Dubai

200k budget - Villa in Dubai

Old Feb 28th 2012, 10:08 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 200k budget - Villa in Dubai

I rather liked the Meadows. I'd take it over AR.

AR is better designed and Saheel/Savannah have the best architecture, but it still felt like way out in the desert to me whereas the Meadows is closer to all the "action."

If you're looking for a bog standard school look at Regents. Blue Cat is very happy with it and that'll tell you all you need to know.

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs
It's not that we're not considering those areas but it comes down to the availability of schools and space and amenities for the kids. What looks like a Truman Show/Stepford Wife nightmare in your 20s takes on a different look when your priorities change. Wow I must be getting old, talking like that. Up next is wearing a pair of Chinos with a phone strapped to them.....

Last edited by Ethos83; Feb 28th 2012 at 10:10 am.
Old Feb 28th 2012, 11:08 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs
It seems that the company take on the lease so there is no incentive to save some cash that way. My kids are aged 3 and 5 - schools seem to be a pain in the arse but the school in Silicon potentially has space. What's it like over there?
Well Silicon has an older kids school i think, not sure if Gems have made it all ages or if they even are...I don't know about a school for younger folk over there actually. Sorry.

My Mrs has an apartment in SO provided by her school which is in Mirdiff / Al Mizhar - Royal Dubai, that's a half decent primary school, but you're looking at a massive commute from AR. Silicon has the Villas complex which I mentioned earlier where you can have your own pool and 5 beds etc...for 135k...I did the drive daily and there's little difference with going down the 66and SZR or down Emirates or down Al Khail to get to Internet City (where I work). It's a solid 40-45 minutes.

I reckon if you get 200k to spend and no cash to take from it then look around Umm Seq / Jumeirah. Meow's place is a price I couldn't quote but is big and lush and isn't identical to every other house on the street.

Springs 1 and 2 were built by Arabtec I think and therefore it's not worth looking at the rest, built by someone crap is my understanding (i think it's the springs).

There are parts of AR that have individual / nicer / less monotonous villas apparently, but can't remember what they are called.

Jumeirah Village Triangle is meant to be nice, they hold open days on Fridays I understand. I know no more than that.

Hmm.

Run out of ideas now. The above is a list of places I've heard mates / colleagues talking about so is opinion based. Please don't HDQ me.
Old Mar 8th 2012, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

popsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to all

will be doing the move to Dubai from Bahrain with 2 kids for the same budget at the end of the school year...husband denies he is masquerading as Great Train Robber though...
Old Mar 8th 2012, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Ronnie, sorry to hear you are gapping it mate but guess it's time for the Miami show band to move on. Only so much gas you can take before it stops being fun. Good luck with the move mate
Old Mar 9th 2012, 9:35 am
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say Jumeirah or umm Suqeim. You're close to the beach, the malls, you can walk to shops and restaurants... Nice drive to work, you may never need to use sheik zayed unless you really want to!

My mate is in a good villa on a great compound in umm suqeim 2 and it was 180. Villa is a four bed.

Lots of schools to try too - star international may have spaces as several families left/were leaving the country. my kids were really happy there.

JVT is a weird wasteland off al Khail.
Old Mar 9th 2012, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
Hey Ronnie, sorry to hear you are gapping it mate but guess it's time for the Miami show band to move on. Only so much gas you can take before it stops being fun. Good luck with the move mate
Hi Tock, cheers for all your advice over the past year or so. Hope to catch you for a beer before the off? Planning to meet up with Norsk once I hit Dubai, are you ever in those parts?

The decision to leave probably did come down to the teargas in the end, that and the fact that the troubles seemed to be closing in on us. It started with hearing explosions every night but then every now and then there would be fire in the road as the missus took the kids to school at 0745. It's just gone a bit too far when you have to sniff the air before letting the kids/dog go outside and I've found myself doing that as a routine now. It might sound over dramatic but that's what has been happening when you're directly down wind from Budaiya....

We'll miss Bahrain though and in a lot of ways I'll be very sad to go. I hope things can improve in the long-term and that in the short-term they stop using teargas in the way that they have. It would be a good start if people could go out at night without clouds of the stuff hanging in the air....
Old Mar 9th 2012, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lullabelle
I'd say Jumeirah or umm Suqeim. You're close to the beach, the malls, you can walk to shops and restaurants... Nice drive to work, you may never need to use sheik zayed unless you really want to!

My mate is in a good villa on a great compound in umm suqeim 2 and it was 180. Villa is a four bed.

Lots of schools to try too - star international may have spaces as several families left/were leaving the country. my kids were really happy there.

JVT is a weird wasteland off al Khail.
Cheers Lullabelle, I make you right about Jumeirah/Umm Suqeim. The problem is finding a position for my 5 year old (year 1 spaces seem to be highly coveted.) Are you still heading back to the UK for good?
Old Mar 9th 2012, 1:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Out of curiosity - is there a 'standard' housing allowance in Dubai? I mean, is there a "it's usually between 30-45 pct of total overall remuneration" rule, or whatever?

Is it official (i.e. are there Ministry of Labour rules about it, etc)?

More interestingly - do employers stick to it?
Old Mar 10th 2012, 4:23 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: 200k budget - Villa in Dubai

We live in saheel 1 and our little one goes to wellington DSO. No problems at all, we were worried about the schoolrun but after about 1 week we sussed out that some of my daughters classmates live in saheel so all the mums had a pow wow and they car pool..

It works out brilliantly and the school is fantastic although I do need to comment that the dougnuts they serve in the cafe suck.
Old Mar 10th 2012, 5:45 am
Forum Regular

popsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to all

'nother question:- does anyone have any experience of how long landlords are likely to hold a property for you? When we nearly moved to Abu dhabi, I recall an agent saying that landlords generally won't take you on unless you are willing to move within a few days, although I'm not sure if this was estate agent speak or not... In an ideal world, we would like to find a villa in say July, beginning of August, bugger off somewhere nice for a bit then move in at the beginning of September. Impossible?
Old Mar 10th 2012, 8:14 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by popsicle
'nother question:- does anyone have any experience of how long landlords are likely to hold a property for you? When we nearly moved to Abu dhabi, I recall an agent saying that landlords generally won't take you on unless you are willing to move within a few days, although I'm not sure if this was estate agent speak or not... In an ideal world, we would like to find a villa in say July, beginning of August, bugger off somewhere nice for a bit then move in at the beginning of September. Impossible?
the normal wait seems to be 2-4 weeks, but some landlords want you to start paying asap. I guess it depends on how the demand for the property is. if he thinks he can rent it to someone else from right now then why would he take it off the market without getting paid for you. makes sense really.

however there are sensible people as well here you know. if you don't ask you certainly don't get..
Old Mar 10th 2012, 8:18 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
I rather liked the Meadows. I'd take it over AR.

AR is better designed and Saheel/Savannah have the best architecture, but it still felt like way out in the desert to me whereas the Meadows is closer to all the "action."

If you're looking for a bog standard school look at Regents. Blue Cat is very happy with it and that'll tell you all you need to know.
my son goes to regent, and although it is acceptable (just) we are trying to get him a space somewhere else for next year. my wife says she wishes they had a St Chris here as that was everything we wanted from a school...
Old Mar 11th 2012, 1:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by norsk
my son goes to regent, and although it is acceptable (just) we are trying to get him a space somewhere else for next year. my wife says she wishes they had a St Chris here as that was everything we wanted from a school...
where are you looking to go to?
Old Mar 11th 2012, 5:12 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

Originally Posted by Millhouse
where are you looking to go to?
He's on the waiting list at Gems Wellington although my wife mentioned another school she was considering in the same area the other day, but as usual (according to her) I was partially 'tuned out'.

The problem here is that the really good schools are few and far between, and usually seriously oversubscribed. Unless you have one of those company deals (can't for the life of me remember what they call it).
Old Mar 11th 2012, 5:16 am
Forum Regular

Seems sensible! Thanks Norse

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.