Reload this Page >

20 Years Old - Move to Qatar?

20 Years Old - Move to Qatar?

Old Jul 11th 2012, 2:33 pm
Just Joined

JayD12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 20 Years Old - Move to Qatar?

Afternoon all,

I am currently living in London and have just turned 20 years old on a salary of £30,000 per year. Unfortunately, due to an organizational re-structure my job no longer looks secure and I am now looking for work elsewhere.

I had been offered a role in Qatar within the last month which i turned down due to a clause that Annual Leave could not be taken in the first year. The package was for 20,000q per month with accomodation and travel paid for.

Obviously being such a young age, it is a fairly daunting prospect of moving abroad. But the finances that i could possibly save from an oppotunity like this may be a once in a lifetime chance.

From what i've read about qatar, it would be no easy place to move to. What do you guys reckon, is it worth it?

cheers
JD
Old Jul 11th 2012, 2:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 20 Years Old - Move to Qatar?

There are many, many less comfortable locations than Qatar. Believe me, I've lived and worked in many of them.

What is the complete benefits package on offer? As a start, 20K for a 20 yr old with not much experience doesn't sound half bad.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 3:13 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Have to agree, I would jump at it at 20 and QR20,000 as a singleton will give you more disposable income than a family on QR40,000...........

Plenty of fun to be had if you don't mind spending a few quid.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

I have 3 years experiences implementing healtchare software in 7 different NHS trusts. My contract rate in the UK tends to be around the £225 mark. The package that was offered was

you will be provided a total compensation package of QR 19,850 (US$1 = QR3.65).

Other added contract-related benefits include a 40-day annual leave, economy-class air passage (joining, annual leave and repatriation for you, your spouse and up to 3 children below the age of 18 years – provided they are under your sponsorship, suitable accommodation, and school assistance for 3 children between 5 to 18 years of age (attending private school in Qatar, maximum of QR21, 000 per child per annum – provided they are under your sponsorship).

For your easy reference, below is the monthly salary breakdown:

Monthly basic salary
QR
Monthly transport allowance
Total Take Home Pay
QR19,850

Bare in mind that I have turned this offer down, but i have had a number of calls regarding oppotunities in Qatar within the last couple of weeks and am awaiting further offers of salary. I am curious as to whether this is a reasonable offer.

Thanks
Old Jul 11th 2012, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by britexpat76
Have to agree, I would jump at it at 20 and QR20,000 as a singleton will give you more disposable income than a family on QR40,000...........

Plenty of fun to be had if you don't mind spending a few quid.
Nice to see a positive reply.

My thoughts are

• Lots of disposable income
• Lots of savings

If i stick at it for 2 years i can come back at 22 years old with enough to put a decent deposit down on a house. People in my local have told me i will be kicking myself if i don't go and do it.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 3:21 pm
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JayD12
Afternoon all,

I am currently living in London and have just turned 20 years old on a salary of £30,000 per year. Unfortunately, due to an organizational re-structure my job no longer looks secure and I am now looking for work elsewhere.

I had been offered a role in Qatar within the last month which i turned down due to a clause that Annual Leave could not be taken in the first year. The package was for 20,000q per month with accomodation and travel paid for.

Obviously being such a young age, it is a fairly daunting prospect of moving abroad. But the finances that i could possibly save from an oppotunity like this may be a once in a lifetime chance.

From what i've read about qatar, it would be no easy place to move to. What do you guys reckon, is it worth it?

cheers
JD
I'm not sure, but I know that legally in Dubai, you can't take annual leave for the first six months of your employment.

Did they say it was that was the first 12 months, or just based on their holiday period (i.e. Jan to Dec)? If you were looking to join them in June, and it was calendar based, then it wouldn't have been their fault – it's the law out here.

As for what it's like out there, I couldn't tell you. It depends on what you like doing etc.

Also, as the others have said that's a cracking salary. Flights to Dubai aren't that expensive. Wouldn't be unfeasible to fly over once a month to get your nightlife fix if that's what you're into.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 3:22 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice to see a positive reply.

My thoughts are

• Lots of disposable income
• Lots of savings

If i stick at it for 2 years i can come back at 22 years old with enough to put a decent deposit down on a house. People in my local have told me i will be kicking myself if i don't go and do it.
I wish I had done it when I had the opportunity as an Engineer in the Mid 90's. (I was in my early 20's) I didn't, changed career and waited another 10 years to move overseas.

You won't regret it.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 3:25 pm
Shark Fisherman

Originally Posted by auzdafluff
I'm not sure, but I know that legally in Dubai, you can't take annual leave for the first six months of your employment.

Did they say it was that was the first 12 months, or just based on their holiday period (i.e. Jan to Dec)? If you were looking to join them in June, and it was calendar based, then it wouldn't have been their fault – it's the law out here.

As for what it's like out there, I couldn't tell you. It depends on what you like doing etc.

Also, as the others have said that's a cracking salary. Flights to Dubai aren't that expensive. Wouldn't be unfeasible to fly over once a month to get your nightlife fix if that's what you're into.
There are quite a few good clubs here now that are on a par with dubai and not as many Jebends present.

1 problem though, when do you turn 21??? As you wont be allowed to drink in a lot of places as you have to produce id?
Old Jul 11th 2012, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by auzdafluff

They just told me 'First 12 Months' and that was the only issue. I could have settles with 6 months no problem (The offer was in May, i could've come home for christmas)

In terms of me as a person, despite being 20 .. I hate Nighclubs, I'm not the most sociable person in the world so that aspect doesn't bother me. The one thing that'll break my heart is not going to watch my beloved Chelsea FC home and away week in week out, but sacrifices must be made at some point i suppose.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

There are quite a few good clubs here now that are on a par with dubai and not as many Jebends present.

1 problem though, when do you turn 21??? As you wont be allowed to drink in a lot of places as you have to produce id?
I'd imagine this would be an issue, June 2013 is when I turn 21. Suppose my body could do with a bit of a de-tox after the past few weekends though. But not being able to go anywhere until June 2013 would be a bit of a problem.

Alot of the work that is currently in the pipeline looks to be beggining in December / January at the moment, apparently the agency are going over contracts etc. blah blah atm. As i said, there seems to be alot out there just never know when the next phone call will be.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 3:33 pm
Shark Fisherman

I'd imagine this would be an issue, June 2013 is when I turn 21. Suppose my body could do with a bit of a de-tox after the past few weekends though. But not being able to go anywhere until June 2013 would be a bit of a problem.

Alot of the work that is currently in the pipeline looks to be beggining in December / January at the moment, apparently the agency are going over contracts etc. blah blah atm. As i said, there seems to be alot out there just never know when the next phone call will be.
There are a few good places that you don't need id, so you will be fine. I know a lad who is 20 and he never has any problems as he knows where to go. You certainly won't be dry here and there is always a helpful ex-pat to sling you a few tinnies for the fridge.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 3:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

BritExpat knows the score, there are plenty of places to get an illicit slurp or a smoke when you know the right people.

And don't forget there are 1,000's of well fit QR trolly dollies to prod. Jeez, if I wasn't married, I'd have all of the continents lined up for an evening's willy.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

There are a few good places that you don't need id, so you will be fine. I know a lad who is 20 and he never has any problems as he knows where to go. You certainly won't be dry here and there is always a helpful ex-pat to sling you a few tinnies for the fridge.
Nice one! Deffinately sounds like something that will be by no means easy, but certainly worth doing to build up the bank balance a bit for a couple / few years.

As i said, not like i'm leaving an awful lot over here. I've got no house / flat / girlfriend / siblings... I recieved a call from a company based in Qatar yesterday evening, rejected the call to the dodgy looking number +92032 or something. Returned their email yesterday evening, lets hope they call back.

Shame i didn't attempt to negotiate the previous offer a bit more, as i have no dependants they could have possibly upped the salary a little more.

What sort of housing is usually provided to expats , or does it completely vary depending on the company?
Old Jul 11th 2012, 3:55 pm
Shark Fisherman

Nice one! Deffinately sounds like something that will be by no means easy, but certainly worth doing to build up the bank balance a bit for a couple / few years.

As i said, not like i'm leaving an awful lot over here. I've got no house / flat / girlfriend / siblings... I recieved a call from a company based in Qatar yesterday evening, rejected the call to the dodgy looking number +92032 or something. Returned their email yesterday evening, lets hope they call back.

Shame i didn't attempt to negotiate the previous offer a bit more, as i have no dependants they could have possibly upped the salary a little more.

What sort of housing is usually provided to expats , or does it completely vary depending on the company?
Take a cash alternative and move into a shared villa or apartment. Better to find your own than let them stick you anywhere. You may even make a few quid off the allowance.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 3:58 pm
Shark Fisherman

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh
BritExpat knows the score, there are plenty of places to get an illicit slurp or a smoke when you know the right people.

And don't forget there are 1,000's of well fit QR trolly dollies to prod. Jeez, if I wasn't married, I'd have all of the continents lined up for an evening's willy.
+ All the teachers mad for it on a thursday night, there seems to be hundreds of single females with the News/media here Al Jazeera etc etc.

Go to the right places and its akin to being a fatty in a sweet shop...........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.