Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

20 year old car rule

20 year old car rule

Old Nov 25th 2008, 4:10 am
W10

Default 20 year old car rule

http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/Traff.../10262273.html

If the RTA stick by their newly announced rule that under their definition, classic cars have to be 30 years old to escape the new 'cars more than 20 years old cannot be re-registered' rule....

then the following will no longer be accepted as legal cars in dubai. :-(

I've seen quite a few of these cars in Dubai...

Old Nov 25th 2008, 4:26 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 20 year old car rule

Well, reckon the Saab should probably have been scrapped WAY before 20 years old.....
Old Nov 25th 2008, 6:31 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
Well, reckon the Saab should probably have been scrapped WAY before 20 years old.....
the saab WILL have been scrapped..

It is a shame and another stupid thing that is being introduced, but I've never seen an old 6 series here, nor an old golf gti, trans am, nissan zx. How many actual classic cars here, numbers wise it would be interesting to know.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 6:36 am
W10

You need to open your eyes more ;-)

I own a 1980s Saab. mint condition :-) (vested interest)

But I know 3 people with 1980s trans-ams, a whole stack with early 90s ones.

There are dozens of people with mint Saab 900s which they lovingly maintain, I saw a Datsun 280z the other day. There are loads of 1980s SLs out there and quite a few 964s (I nearly bought a targa earlier this year)

I actually know someone (as does blue cat) who has a whole host of well maintained 1980s cars...I imagine he won't be too happy.

The very simple solution is to enforce and toughen up registration. Most of the old bangers on the road are not registered. Get the police to confiscate old cars without registration (lets face it, a quick check on the computer when they see one will show it up)

Some older cars are in far better condition than the newer ones.

Old Nov 25th 2008, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
You need to open your eyes more ;-)

I own a 1980s Saab. mint condition :-) (vested interest)

But I know 3 people with 1980s trans-ams, a whole stack with early 90s ones.

There are dozens of people with mint Saab 900s which they lovingly maintain, I saw a Datsun 280z the other day. There are loads of 1980s SLs out there and quite a few 964s (I nearly bought a targa earlier this year)

I actually know someone (as does blue cat) who has a whole host of well maintained 1980s cars...I imagine he won't be too happy.

The very simple solution is to enforce and toughen up registration. Most of the old bangers on the road are not registered. Get the police to confiscate old cars without registration (lets face it, a quick check on the computer when they see one will show it up)

See quite a few porsches and the odd SL and a couple of XJS's (although the XJS's are usually the newer later models.

I agree that the 900 shape and style is quite unique and I did own one (for a few months) in the late eighties, but they never really flicked my switch (I dumped it and bought a 5 series).
Old Nov 25th 2008, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

andrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by W10

It's the old chestnut of enforcement by the police - or the lack of it. The same with speeding, dodgy parking, excessive tint, aggressive driving, take your pick.

As far as I can see, the law abiding owners i.e. you, will suffer as anybody with a twenty year old car is unlikely to have it registered.

don't cha you just love UAE

Last edited by andrewpops; Nov 25th 2008 at 7:35 am. Reason: typo's galore
Old Nov 25th 2008, 7:52 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrewpops
It's the old chestnut of enforcement by the police - or the lack of it. The same with speeding, dodgy parking, excessive tint, aggressive driving, take your pick.

As far as I can see, the law abiding owners i.e. you, will suffer as anybody with a twenty year old car is unlikely to have it registered.

don't cha you just love UAE
Also perfectly timed to ensure car sales keep up, wouldnt want the Al Futtaims, Al Habtoors etc suffering on the car sales side as well as all their retail and real estate...

Whats next, you cant rent or buy a apartment / villa over 20 years old....
Old Nov 25th 2008, 7:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Also perfectly timed to ensure car sales keep up, wouldnt want the Al Futtaims, Al Habtoors etc suffering on the car sales side as well as all their retail and real estate...

Whats next, you cant rent or buy a apartment / villa over 20 years old....
actually true already, build quality takes care of that..
Old Nov 25th 2008, 9:25 am
W10

That's assuming you can get a loan