Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Interview for a job in Abu Dhabi

Interview for a job in Abu Dhabi

Old May 14th 2012, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

ChrisH3 is just really niceChrisH3 is just really niceChrisH3 is just really niceChrisH3 is just really niceChrisH3 is just really niceChrisH3 is just really niceChrisH3 is just really niceChrisH3 is just really nice
Default Interview for a job in Abu Dhabi

Hi, iv been looking to move overseas for a while now and want to move with my girlfriend and almost 4 year old son. I have an interview next week for a mechanical supervisors role there, there is no offer of salary as yet on a guidline of between £45k- £52k.... i realise this may not be the best but iam willing to start at the bottom so to speak to be able to work my way up, its getting my foot in the door isnt it? Would this be enough to get a decent family home and make a living over there? or would i be skint all the time? There are other projects that i hope to get on in the near future but there is no offer for them yet. Just this one.... any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance people. Iam an english lad from Newcastle....not sure if that will help me!

Chris
Old May 14th 2012, 8:22 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interview for a job in Abu Dhabi

Hi Chris,

Hoping you are settling in ok. I've moved your thread to the Middle East forum for you. I can't help with your question as I've never lived in the ME but hopefully someone will be along shortly to give you some pointers.

Best of luck with the interview.
Old May 14th 2012, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

ChrisH3 is just really niceChrisH3 is just really niceChrisH3 is just really niceChrisH3 is just really niceChrisH3 is just really niceChrisH3 is just really niceChrisH3 is just really niceChrisH3 is just really nice

Thanks Sue... fingers crossed.
Old May 14th 2012, 9:36 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ChrisH3
Hi, iv been looking to move overseas for a while now and want to move with my girlfriend and almost 4 year old son. I have an interview next week for a mechanical supervisors role there, there is no offer of salary as yet on a guidline of between £45k- £52k.... i realise this may not be the best but iam willing to start at the bottom so to speak to be able to work my way up, its getting my foot in the door isnt it? Would this be enough to get a decent family home and make a living over there? or would i be skint all the time? There are other projects that i hope to get on in the near future but there is no offer for them yet. Just this one.... any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance people. Iam an english lad from Newcastle....not sure if that will help me!

Chris
Up the Toon!!!!

Welcome to the bored...

I would suggest that you start your negotiation at double what you're on now (before tax), and accept a 50% increase. Try to get most of it as your basic, not a low basic with loads of extras.

Good luck bonny lad, there's a load of Toon fans here, you won't feel alone.
Old May 14th 2012, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

Good to hear there are a load of toon fans!! The hardest part of moving away will be not going to St james next season!!! Not sure what room i have to negotiate but i will do my best, im confident of getting higher salaries in the not to distant future on other projects but i want to get over and settled now. Would the said amount be considered enough say if only 45k to get house etc? I would just use taxi for travel if easy enough until i got on my feet. Dont want to move gf and son over and be struggling!
Old May 15th 2012, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Problem if you are not married. Look into this.
Old May 15th 2012, 4:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

yes you will need to get married as you are not allowed to live together, and some companies stipulate that as well.
Old May 15th 2012, 4:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

there is no such thing as working your way up here. go in high and stay there.
Old May 15th 2012, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

Get married! Well that will please my girlfriend!! That doesnt bother me il do it.... These are all things i will have to ask at the interview, is 45-52k a year enough for a small family to live on over there?
Old May 15th 2012, 8:48 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Get married! Well that will please my girlfriend!! That doesnt bother me il do it.... These are all things i will have to ask at the interview, is 45-52k a year enough for a small family to live on over there?
26,000/month or so.

It's doable but it'll be a push, try to get 35,000 (and do the negotiating in Dirhams not Pounds).
Old May 15th 2012, 8:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kix
26,000/month or so. It's doable but it'll be a push.
Seriously? Three people... I would say that is not doable at all. School fees will be about 15% of his salary.

35k is workable... but maybe a step down from a standard of living he has now.

edit - I'm assuming all in, no free house.
Old May 15th 2012, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

Not sounding very good. No got to find my own housing out of that mate, all iv been told so far is 45-52k a year tax free, long term work its on cleveland clinic in al sawwah island, i think thats how u spell. Obviously i will know more on thursday when i get my interview date and confirmation etc.
Old May 15th 2012, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

I would wait until next year to send my son to school
Old May 15th 2012, 9:46 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Not sounding very good. No got to find my own housing out of that mate, all iv been told so far is 45-52k a year tax free, long term work its on cleveland clinic in al sawwah island, i think thats how u spell. Obviously i will know more on thursday when i get my interview date and confirmation etc.
Just because it is paid to you tax-free it does not mean that you don't have to pay any UK income tax. That depends on your circumstances and how long you stay overseas.

I say it isn't viable unless school fees are paid in full. Even then it's not a big salary for three people. An AD employer has to provide you with medical cover by law so don't let them pretend they are being generous about that.
Old May 15th 2012, 9:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I would wait until next year to send my son to school
That's what you think... you will discover that there are no school places for 5 year olds and your only way to get to a place is to enroll them from the age of 3 or 4.

Do you live in a house at the moment? The salary offered will mean a small 2 bed flat (if you are lucky) - nothing wrong with that. just saying what to expect.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.