Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Is 12,000 AED X month enough in Dubai

Is 12,000 AED X month enough in Dubai

Old Oct 12th 2008, 5:36 pm
Just Joined

goldcoast75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Is 12,000 AED X month enough in Dubai

Hi, even though I run the risk of being boring asking a question that's been asked so many times already I would be glad if someone could spend some time and help me out.

I have been asked to move to Dubai and work as an area manager for this retail company working throughout the Middle East. I was offered a salary of around 1,900 euros ( 9,500 AED) per month with accommodation paid for + medical and 4 return tickets a year. I am a single guy so moving to Dubai on my own. I think it is enough to allow a decent standard of living ( forget about saving up ). I am in the middle of negotiating and would like to propose something around 12,000 AED per month with accommodation, flights a course in arabic( I already study it and would like to carry on) and gym membership. What does everyone think?
Old Oct 12th 2008, 5:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is 12,000 AED X month enough in Dubai

Originally Posted by goldcoast75
Hi, even though I run the risk of being boring asking a question that's been asked so many times already I would be glad if someone could spend some time and help me out.

I have been asked to move to Dubai and work as an area manager for this retail company working throughout the Middle East. I was offered a salary of around 1,900 euros ( 9,500 AED) per month with accommodation paid for + medical and 4 return tickets a year. I am a single guy so moving to Dubai on my own. I think it is enough to allow a decent standard of living ( forget about saving up ). I am in the middle of negotiating and would like to propose something around 12,000 AED per month with accommodation, flights a course in arabic( I already study it and would like to carry on) and gym membership. What does everyone think?
are they providing accomodation, or giving you an allowance...? if the latter, you want to check it's going to be adequate. Salary is fine for a single guy as long as you don't have to supplement the rent...are they paying medical cover?

oh, and 4 return tickets a year sounds like a lot...!!

MM, xx
Old Oct 12th 2008, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
are they providing accomodation, or giving you an allowance...? if the latter, you want to check it's going to be adequate. Salary is fine for a single guy as long as you don't have to supplement the rent...are they paying medical cover?

oh, and 4 return tickets a year sounds like a lot...!!

MM, xx
They are providing accommodation and not giving me allowance. The insurance cover is paid by the company. The package is for a four year stay in Dubai and I will be staying with a multy entry visa and be travelling to other areas in the middle east ( expenses paid when on duty travel ).
Is 12,000 AED or what they're already offering (9000 AED x month) enough?
Old Oct 12th 2008, 6:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

They are providing accommodation and not giving me allowance. The insurance cover is paid by the company. The package is for a four year stay in Dubai and I will be staying with a multy entry visa and be travelling to other areas in the middle east ( expenses paid when on duty travel ).
Is 12,000 AED or what they're already offering (9000 AED x month) enough?
sure you'll be fine on 9k, but push for more, you've got nothing to lose...

MM, xx
Old Oct 12th 2008, 6:01 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

just spoke to the missus who works in HR, she says you would normally get about AED 20,000 a month for that, but thats all in, no accomm, so she thinks your deal seems pretty decent, AED12k a month would be enough to live on and have fun,

check teh accomm though mate, see where they are going to put you, I got offered some and it was a hole,

also 4 flights a year? sure?
Old Oct 12th 2008, 6:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Spugsy
just spoke to the missus who works in HR, she says you would normally get about AED 20,000 a month for that, but thats all in, no accomm, so she thinks your deal seems pretty decent, AED12k a month would be enough to live on and have fun,

check teh accomm though mate, see where they are going to put you, I got offered some and it was a hole,

also 4 flights a year? sure?
according to the company the accommodation is offered according to local standards which means nothing really. I would like to suggest areas but I want to know exactly where I'll be working ( in what area) and ask for nearby accommodaton ( I will not be able to drive as will not have residency as on multiple entry work visa ). Once I find out I can be asking for more advice on where I could ask to be staying. The flights home are 4 for sure plus I will be travelling twice more back home for work related issues.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 6:24 pm
same shit different day

Slingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond repute

according to the company the accommodation is offered according to local standards which means nothing really. I would like to suggest areas but I want to know exactly where I'll be working ( in what area) and ask for nearby accommodaton ( I will not be able to drive as will not have residency as on multiple entry work visa ). Once I find out I can be asking for more advice on where I could ask to be staying. The flights home are 4 for sure plus I will be travelling twice more back home for work related issues.
you need the residency visa for lots of things so it seems odd.
also make sure you are not signed up to a fixed contract which is harder to get out of if you want to move later on
without knowing the retail field I could not comment on whether the salary is good. expect a lot of companies to introduce pay freezes so you may be on that salary for a while.
plenty will tell you there are those that survive on a lot less and there are those that get by on a lot lot more. also check the accommodation deal includes all utilities. if you have no real outlay and just want to party you will be fine.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Slingshot
you need the residency visa for lots of things so it seems odd.
also make sure you are not signed up to a fixed contract which is harder to get out of if you want to move later on
without knowing the retail field I could not comment on whether the salary is good. expect a lot of companies to introduce pay freezes so you may be on that salary for a while.
plenty will tell you there are those that survive on a lot less and there are those that get by on a lot lot more. also check the accommodation deal includes all utilities. if you have no real outlay and just want to party you will be fine.
I know that without residency i will not be able to open a bank account, get a drinking licence to buy booze, drive a car...but I cannot get a residency for tax reasons related to a private investment I have in a foreign country. I am prepared to face the difficulties of non residency status and the 4 tickets back home (+ two for work related issues ) will help. Also will be travelling in the middle east almost every month so it should be ok. If I want beer will have to go to a hotel bar I suppose.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 6:49 pm
same shit different day

Slingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond repute

I know that without residency i will not be able to open a bank account, get a drinking licence to buy booze, drive a car...but I cannot get a residency for tax reasons related to a private investment I have in a foreign country. I am prepared to face the difficulties of non residency status and the 4 tickets back home (+ two for work related issues ) will help. Also will be travelling in the middle east almost every month so it should be ok. If I want beer will have to go to a hotel bar I suppose.
I only recently got a booze licence and have been resident for quite a few years so you will survive with the *hole in the wall* but like most things if you get caught without the proper protocols in place you can be in trouble
tax? what on earth is that?
Old Oct 12th 2008, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

camel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to all

Simply put, if you want to get by and not struggle (+save) no..

Ask for me, you never know if you don't ask. Make sure about your accommodation also.. they can also put you in some hole and you have no choice but to stay there or pay out of your pocket for something decent..
Old Oct 12th 2008, 7:24 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

mate, there's a good chance the accommodation could be shite, are you coming over for an interview or anything? that way you could go and see it.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 5:52 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

multiple entry work visa is this something new?
Old Oct 13th 2008, 6:25 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
multiple entry work visa is this something new?
I had one of those in Saudi Arabia but have never heard of them applying to the UAE...sounds dodgy to me.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 7:01 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

If the co. isnt willing to get you a residency visa then walk away. Seriously the only reason for them to keep you on a multiple enty visa is to save about 16,000 in fees and to have no commitment to you, ie gratuity etc. If they are that tight then walk away and find a decent employer (ps that bits not easy)
Old Oct 13th 2008, 8:22 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
I had one of those in Saudi Arabia but have never heard of them applying to the UAE...sounds dodgy to me.
me too LH

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.