British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   10 months and no money (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/10-months-no-money-685300/)

Dandubai Sep 14th 2010 10:37 am

10 months and no money

I came to Dubai last year totally out of my control. things went from bad to worse so i wanted to leave but my father told me not to worry. now my passport is expired and i dont know what the penalty would be if i go to immigration. i know that i would probably have to pay like 5000 pounds in fines i just cant afford that much. is there some way of agreeing to pay the overstay fine in full on my return to Dubai since i like the country and wish to come back. (not get Deported). for holidays n stuffz

Dude its totally not my fault that i came here in the first place.

What would the penalty be if i cant pay the fine?

Hello.Kitty Sep 14th 2010 10:45 am

Re: 10 months and no money

Ahhh... gotta love the "not my fault" business. Was it someone else's fault, perchance, that you forgot your passport was soon to expire?

Anyhow, first job is to find out how much fine you owe. £5000, like you say, would be a lot, but then again, how much have you overstayed? I think the fine is 200AED per day (but might not be) and even then your £5k fine would mean you're 135 days over. Cor, doesn't it creep up?!

As for penalties for not paying... hmm, this place isn't known for its leniency. They quite possibly wouldn't let you leave (oh, the irony) so imo, pay your fine with a credit card and have done with it.

shiva Sep 14th 2010 10:53 am

http://loanworkout.org/wp-content/up...shit-creek.gif

george benson Sep 14th 2010 10:54 am

Go to the Embassy and speak to them, a lot of the time they can help.
Good luck (you are gonna need it )

busybee2 Sep 14th 2010 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty (Post 8847085)
Ahhh... gotta love the "not my fault" business. Was it someone else's fault, perchance, that you forgot your passport was soon to expire?

Anyhow, first job is to find out how much fine you owe. £5000, like you say, would be a lot, but then again, how much have you overstayed? I think the fine is 200AED per day (but might not be) and even then your £5k fine would mean you're 135 days over. Cor, doesn't it creep up?!

As for penalties for not paying... hmm, this place isn't known for its leniency. They quite possibly wouldn't let you leave (oh, the irony) so imo, pay your fine with a credit card and have done with it.

thought it was 100 a day

Hello.Kitty Sep 14th 2010 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 8847238)
thought it was 100 a day

...in which case his passport expired 9 months ago.

Lax...

MataHari Sep 15th 2010 4:27 am

not sure if it's different for British passports, but there is no penalty for having an expired Dutch passport...having an expired passport just means you can't travel to another country.
There is a penalty for having an expired residency visa, but you can still have a valid residency visa in an expired passport. When you get your new passport from the Embassy, they will just staple your old passport with the valid visa to your new passport.

BurpusMe Sep 15th 2010 5:06 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 8849086)
not sure if it's different for British passports, but there is no penalty for having an expired Dutch passport...having an expired passport just means you can't travel to another country.
There is a penalty for having an expired residency visa, but you can still have a valid residency visa in an expired passport. When you get your new passport from the Embassy, they will just staple your old passport with the valid visa to your new passport.

There is no fine or penalty for an expired passport.
You simply go to the embassy, fill the renewal form and wait a few weeks... and pick up your spiffy new passport.

While at the embassy, enquire about amnesty. UAE used to do this annually to allow illegal laborers and maids to leave. It hasn't been done since 2007 (as far as I know) but maybe it'll happen again? It's worth asking.

Your only other option is to pay the fine.

Your stamp at the airport is good for 30 days.
You get 10 days grace.
AED 100 for overstaying + AED 100 per day.
At 10 months you're in for something like AED 27,000 or roughly £4,700.

The penalty for not paying the fine would be one of two things:
The nice one: sent away from the airport, told "don't come back without money"
The bad one: detained at the airport

Any stunt might land you in jail. (ie. an Oman visa run on a brand new visa w/o entry stamp)

This is definitely your fault, but best of luck all the same.

shakh your bootie Sep 15th 2010 5:09 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 8849086)

Ah - you can trust my Godess to give a straight-talking and unambiguous reply... Other than that, I was mildly disgusted by the other responses to this query. Are we all of a mind-set such that, should bad fortune befall us, we prefer to huddle in a sort of middle-class supercilliousness (which is somehwhat complementary to many of you, in that frame of reference, since in your home country there are few that would accept you as being middle-class, should that be of vale to you) - than accept a plea for help from a country-man. Perhaps fools pour scorn where angels fear to tread.

A pox on your under-earned Pajeros.....

shakh your bootie Sep 15th 2010 5:11 am

Sorry - Burpus also actually posted in a helpful way. As to the rest of you..... Kiss my Chuddies.

TGFKASE Sep 15th 2010 5:16 am

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 8849137)
Sorry - Burpus also actually posted in a helpful way. As to the rest of you..... Kiss my Chuddies.

Can you hold them a little higher? My knees arent what they used to be...

TGFKASE Sep 15th 2010 5:18 am

In response to the OP, you have a couple of options. You can either apply for a new one, wait for it to arrive from Deutschland, and then leave, paying up any overstay. I also believe you can ask for emergency travel documents. Not a passport, but will allow you to travel immediately, thus reducing any overstay fines...