British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   1 of 2 get a job (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/1-2-get-job-620672/)

WaqasKhawaja Jul 17th 2009 7:34 am

1 of 2 get a job

Hi again,

Following on from my other post (don't want to combine the questions as its a separate issue)

As my wife has (almost) been offered offered a position. Is it worth coming over with only one of us working? would it be sustainable?

I know it depends on what the contract offers (hospital accom, or 3 month probation before family can come over) but in your option?

While we're there, would it be better for both for us to get a married visa>? or for her to get a married visa, and for me to get a single visa???

Becci_Neil Jul 17th 2009 10:12 am

Re: 1 of 2 get a job

Originally Posted by WaqasKhawaja (Post 7760261)
Hi again,

Following on from my other post (don't want to combine the questions as its a separate issue)

As my wife has (almost) been offered offered a position. Is it worth coming over with only one of us working? would it be sustainable?

I know it depends on what the contract offers (hospital accom, or 3 month probation before family can come over) but in your option?

While we're there, would it be better for both for us to get a married visa>? or for her to get a married visa, and for me to get a single visa???

Hiya,

We're coming over as a married couple and only hubby has the job. Due to married status, his contract includes benefits for me. Obiously I have no idea how its going to work financially yet. I'll definitely be looking for a job bt from the sounds of things I think we'l be fine. and you're right, depends on terms of contracts and what the ONE job is offerng.

u mentioned before you were from midlands?? I'm from cannock. leaving for al ain aug 24th

WaqasKhawaja Jul 17th 2009 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Becci_Neil (Post 7760574)
Hiya,

We're coming over as a married couple and only hubby has the job. Due to married status, his contract includes benefits for me. Obiously I have no idea how its going to work financially yet. I'll definitely be looking for a job bt from the sounds of things I think we'l be fine. and you're right, depends on terms of contracts and what the ONE job is offerng.

u mentioned before you were from midlands?? I'm from cannock. leaving for al ain aug 24th

No way im from Walsall, but work in Lichfield. and we going to AD for a short break on the 28th Aug!! :eek::eek:
I went over the finances that have been offered to the wife and :rolleyes: umm it looks good. ;)
I have my cousin there (who is here for the summer holidays and she has been filling me in with little bits and bobs. But what my wife will be on should be able to sustain us for a bit while I get a job myself!:fingerscrossed:
Only problem is:
They might only provided single occupancy accommodation - so i will have to stay with cousins
that British passport visa is only for 60 days....what if i don't get a job then that?? will i be deported?!

Becci_Neil Jul 17th 2009 10:32 am

Originally Posted by WaqasKhawaja (Post 7760586)
No way im from Walsall, but work in Lichfield. and we going to AD for a short break on the 28th Aug!! :eek::eek:
I went over the finances that have been offered to the wife and :rolleyes: umm it looks good. ;)
I have my cousin there (who is here for the summer holidays and she has been filling me in with little bits and bobs. But what my wife will be on should be able to sustain us for a bit while I get a job myself!:fingerscrossed:
Only problem is:
They might only provided single occupancy accommodation - so i will have to stay with cousins
that British passport visa is only for 60 days....what if i don't get a job then that?? will i be deported?!

I LOVE lichfield! thats where i want to live in a few years when we move back to the UK. small world!

I really wouldn't like to say cus i dont now for sure. See i ws lucky, hubby's job was married status so I get to go with him.

Yes normal passport visa is for 60 days but thought as long as you leave UAE after 60 and come back it was ok!?!?! the visa run as everyone calls it.

if you're married, and your wife works out there on a work visa, do you not get a spouse visa??

Sorry, definitely not the expert on this subject. Sure someone will put me straight soon as they read

Euc- Jul 17th 2009 10:36 am

Originally Posted by WaqasKhawaja (Post 7760586)
Only problem is:

It's 30 days, and you can just cross the border with Oman and re-enter the UAE right away, so you won't get deported :)

Blue Cat Jul 17th 2009 10:42 am

Nurses can sponsor their husbands, shouldn't be a problem, check with the hospital though. If not you will get a visa when you gain employment, what line of work are you in?

WaqasKhawaja Jul 17th 2009 11:08 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7760649)
Nurses can sponsor their husbands, shouldn't be a problem, check with the hospital though. If not you will get a visa when you gain employment, what line of work are you in?

im in the ever the worst one! Construction!!! Project Engineer. So slim chances of finding a job from here!!

didn't realise it was 30 days. where did 60 days come in? or can the 30 days be extended to 60??

initial communications say that after the 3 month probation the hospital will sponsor the spouse visa...but im sure that can be negotiated

Euc- Jul 17th 2009 11:11 am

Originally Posted by WaqasKhawaja (Post 7760732)
im in the ever the worst one! Construction!!! Project Engineer. So slim chances of finding a job from here!!

didn't realise it was 30 days. where did 60 days come in? or can the 30 days be extended to 60??

initial communications say that after the 3 month probation the hospital will sponsor the spouse visa...but im sure that can be negotiated

It was 60 days before but changed to 30 days. I think an extention is possible for 500dhs or something, so its way cheaper to hop over to Oman.

WaqasKhawaja Jul 17th 2009 11:11 am

Originally Posted by Euc- (Post 7760631)
It's 30 days, and you can just cross the border with Oman and re-enter the UAE right away, so you won't get deported :)

is it as simple as there??

what fee are involved ?? if any?

Blue Cat Jul 17th 2009 11:33 am

Originally Posted by WaqasKhawaja (Post 7760745)
is it as simple as there??

what fee are involved ?? if any?

about 500 dhs if you do it via Immigration but less than a 100 at the border - I think, while since I did one

calipso Jul 19th 2009 11:11 am

Originally Posted by WaqasKhawaja (Post 7760732)

I know someone just been made an offer in USA to come over.
What line of Engineering are you in?

busybee2 Jul 19th 2009 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Becci_Neil (Post 7760615)
I LOVE lichfield! thats where i want to live in a few years when we move back to the UK. small world!

I really wouldn't like to say cus i dont now for sure. See i ws lucky, hubby's job was married status so I get to go with him.

Yes normal passport visa is for 60 days but thought as long as you leave UAE after 60 and come back it was ok!?!?! the visa run as everyone calls it.

if you're married, and your wife works out there on a work visa, do you not get a spouse visa??

Sorry, definitely not the expert on this subject. Sure someone will put me straight soon as they read

yes its now 30 days not 60 since the beg of year.

Becci_Neil Jul 19th 2009 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 7765305)
yes its now 30 days not 60 since the beg of year.

Yes, my mistake - it says that above - but thanks for pointing it out again

WaqasKhawaja Jul 19th 2009 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by calipso (Post 7765298)
I know someone just been made an offer in USA to come over.
What line of Engineering are you in?

Project Engineer - civils sector. But I have more experience as a design engineer. Why do you ask, you offering me Job?? :eek::rofl: