Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

[UPDATE] Opinions...No degree. Took a job in Qatar for 18,000/month

[UPDATE] Opinions...No degree. Took a job in Qatar for 18,000/month

Old Jul 6th 2015, 11:51 am
Just Joined

cdn3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default [UPDATE] Opinions...No degree. Took a job in Qatar for 18,000/month

Update from previous thread: http://britishexpats.com/forum/middl...-month-830741/

Well it's been seven months since I arrived to Qatar, six since I started working for the employer from the previous thread.

Recently my employer sent me on an overseas business trip that was initially supposed to be two weeks which spanned into two months. On that trip I had to use my own funds to cover some of it and I was told I would be reimbursed when I returned.

In total for the expenses from that trip and other expenses I incurred from the business it totals 31,000 riyals.

My monthly salary is 20,000 riyals.

My employer still has not done salary transfers and usually they pay a little late. Today I once again asked my employer when I will be getting paid and he responded by telling me that I will not get my salary, nor any of the expenses I paid and he also wants to go over all of the work I've done since my time at the company and if they do not think it was worth it that I would have to repay all of my previous salaries that they have paid to me.

I have no idea, what to do. My entire savings is basically the 31,000 that they owe me. I have no other savings than that. Now I'm stuck here and have no idea what to do next.

A cautionary tale to all those that may be considering coming to Qatar. Yes, this may not be the norm, I thought something like this would never happen to me, alas here I am.

Who knows if he will release me from my sponsorship or what will happen next. I can't even afford the rest of this month here.
Old Jul 6th 2015, 11:58 am
...---...

Fossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: [UPDATE] Opinions...No degree. Took a job in Qatar for 18,000/month

Cant offer any advice but sorry it has all turned out badly. I am sure some more knowledgeable poster than me will be able to offer some advice. Is there a ministry of labour you could contact? Have you got an exit visa?
Old Jul 6th 2015, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Fossildog
Cant offer any advice but sorry it has all turned out badly. I am sure some more knowledgeable poster than me will be able to offer some advice. Is there a ministry of labour you could contact? Have you got an exit visa?
I don't have an exit visa and I do plan on making a complaint with the labour board. However, just recently a former employee took them to court for a similar thing.

Due to who my employer is, nothing will happen, I can assure you of that. Can't get into anymore details because as you know, you can do jail time here for speaking ill of your employer.
Old Jul 6th 2015, 1:25 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

I know this is just one company treating its employees badly, but sadly this is not the first horror story coming out of Qatar.

One thing I always wonder when hearing these stories though, is it a Qatari actually making the decision to basically ***** people? Or is it similar to in the UAE where most of the large companies are infested by a certain nationality and therefore influenced by their personality traits?

Sorry to hear about your situation. Hope it sorts itself out.
Old Jul 6th 2015, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by norsk
I know this is just one company treating its employees badly, but sadly this is not the first horror story coming out of Qatar.

One thing I always wonder when hearing these stories though, is it a Qatari actually making the decision to basically ***** people? Or is it similar to in the UAE where most of the large companies are infested by a certain nationality and therefore influenced by their personality traits?

Sorry to hear about your situation. Hope it sorts itself out.
This is directly from the Qatari, he's the one I speak to directly.
Old Jul 6th 2015, 1:47 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cdn3
This is directly from the Qatari, he's the one I speak to directly.
Very nice! So in essence big company owner/manager tells employee that they will ask for 100K+ riyals he was paid for the job he was hired to do to be returned before he can leave the country because they feel like it.

Sounds like sour grapes to me...
What did you do to them?
Old Jul 6th 2015, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

Very nice! So in essence big company owner/manager tells employee that they will ask for 100K+ riyals he was paid for the job he was hired to do because they feel like it.

Sounds like sour grapes to me...
What did you do to them?
I sent him a harshly worded e-mail after he left me stranded overseas with no money to pay.

I just told him, if he does not respond to me (he was ignoring me at this time, along with his manager) I will be forced to make my own decision (return back to Canada) but I didn't say I was gonna go back to Canada.

It was professional but curt. He didn't like it. He avoided me since I came back which at the end of May.

Worked for the month of June, and now this.
Old Jul 6th 2015, 1:54 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

I sent him a harshly worded e-mail after he left me stranded overseas with no money to pay.

I just told him, if he does not respond to me (he was ignoring me at this time, along with his manager) I will be forced to make my own decision (return back to Canada) but I didn't say I was gonna go back to Canada.

It was professional but curt. He didn't like it. He avoided me since I came back which at the end of May.

Worked for the month of June, and now this.
If that's the whole reason he sounds like a right childish prat...

Unfortunately you are on the hook. If I were you I would swallow my pride, beg for forgiveness and hope for the situation to go back to normal. If you manage to accomplish this wait for the right time then ..
Old Jul 6th 2015, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

If that's the whole reason he sounds like a right childish prat...

Unfortunately you are on the hook. If I were you I would swallow my pride, beg for forgiveness and hope for the situation to go back to normal. If you manage to accomplish this wait for the right time then ..
Forgiveness for what though? It's not even a matter of pride at all. What shall I say or do? He's refusing to pay me my salary and he's not paying for the expenses I've incurred.

Forget his threat of paying back the salary he's paid me already, that's laughable.

There is absolutely nothing short of getting my salary for the past month that needs to be done.

He just decided he doesn't want to pay, that's all there is to it.
Old Jul 6th 2015, 5:31 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

Forgiveness for what though? It's not even a matter of pride at all. What shall I say or do? He's refusing to pay me my salary and he's not paying for the expenses I've incurred.

Forget his threat of paying back the salary he's paid me already, that's laughable.

There is absolutely nothing short of getting my salary for the past month that needs to be done.

He just decided he doesn't want to pay, that's all there is to it.
Who cares? He clearly thinks you stepped on his ego or something from what you say. Just apologise. I take it you're not married or you would have known everything about apologising without having a clue what you have done wrong..

Why is it laughable? Just because his threat sounds crazy to normal people it doesn't mean it can't happen. Don't forget he could deny you exit until you pay up and there is very little you could do about it. What would you do if you were stuck in Qatar for a year with no income and no way to leave...?
Old Jul 7th 2015, 8:42 am
"The Seeker"

Leannmean is an unknown quantity at this point

I always say never take a job in a country in which an Exit visa is required ...
I know , it might sound weird to some , but that is "grabbing you by the balls"
I would never want to go to Qatar no matter how much they will pay me , the whole idea of the "sponsor " might trap you in the country just because he feels like it ,just does not sit well with me .
I concur with what has been posted above , beg for forgiveness and make him feel that he is the boss , just get that exit visa and get the fck out there .

I have no idea why people accept to be put in this position , do not go to Qatar ...period
Old Jul 7th 2015, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Update from previous thread: http://britishexpats.com/forum/middl...-month-830741/

Well it's been seven months since I arrived to Qatar, six since I started working for the employer from the previous thread.

Recently my employer sent me on an overseas business trip that was initially supposed to be two weeks which spanned into two months. On that trip I had to use my own funds to cover some of it and I was told I would be reimbursed when I returned.

In total for the expenses from that trip and other expenses I incurred from the business it totals 31,000 riyals.

My monthly salary is 20,000 riyals.

My employer still has not done salary transfers and usually they pay a little late. Today I once again asked my employer when I will be getting paid and he responded by telling me that I will not get my salary, nor any of the expenses I paid and he also wants to go over all of the work I've done since my time at the company and if they do not think it was worth it that I would have to repay all of my previous salaries that they have paid to me.

I have no idea, what to do. My entire savings is basically the 31,000 that they owe me. I have no other savings than that. Now I'm stuck here and have no idea what to do next.

A cautionary tale to all those that may be considering coming to Qatar. Yes, this may not be the norm, I thought something like this would never happen to me, alas here I am.

Who knows if he will release me from my sponsorship or what will happen next. I can't even afford the rest of this month here.
What company do you work for ?
Old Jul 7th 2015, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leannmean
I always say never take a job in a country in which an Exit visa is required ...
I know , it might sound weird to some , but that is "grabbing you by the balls"
I would never want to go to Qatar no matter how much they will pay me , the whole idea of the "sponsor " might trap you in the country just because he feels like it ,just does not sit well with me .
I concur with what has been posted above , beg for forgiveness and make him feel that he is the boss , just get that exit visa and get the fck out there .

I have no idea why people accept to be put in this position , do not go to Qatar ...period
People except jobs for a variety of different reasons and it's relative to their circumstances . It's risk and you must always have that in the back of your mind .

Negotiating a multi exit permit was a deal breaker for me taking a job here over 5 years ago and also who i was working for and the reputation of the firm i was going to work for .

The local guy will be trying it on as he will have done it in the past many many times .
Old Jul 7th 2015, 10:24 am
"The Seeker"

Leannmean is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by co durham boy
People except jobs for a variety of different reasons and it's relative to their circumstances . It's risk and you must always have that in the back of your mind .

Negotiating a multi exit permit was a deal breaker for me taking a job here over 5 years ago and also who i was working for and the reputation of the firm i was going to work for .

The local guy will be trying it on as he will have done it in the past many many times .
Good job rejecting that offer pal ,
it ain't worth it in my opinion , I know some job offers take some courage to actually reject but on the long run that is the right thing to do ,
Oman and the UAE are much better in my opinion but if that Exit visa thing became regional , then I'll pack my bags and leave and never come back or look back again , there is only so much that I can personally put up with
Old Jul 8th 2015, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Leannmean
Good job rejecting that offer pal ,
it ain't worth it in my opinion , I know some job offers take some courage to actually reject but on the long run that is the right thing to do ,
Oman and the UAE are much better in my opinion but if that Exit visa thing became regional , then I'll pack my bags and leave and never come back or look back again , there is only so much that I can personally put up with
Correct , i've worked in every GCC state and if it doesn't suit you just leave . People sometimes take chances and it works out sometimes it doesn't .Ive been around doing what i do a long time so i'm long in the tooth and i know the dance

Some lads want to give it a go and get on and earn a few bob , i don't blame them for that . Qatar is a toilet , only come if your deal is good and as watertight as possible if there's such a thing.

The exit visa is a big hinderance here and a big sticking point for some , when it goes bad here it goes bad big time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.