Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

The [British] Club

The [British] Club

Old Feb 7th 2009, 7:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Bambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to behold
Default The [British] Club

Is anybody here a member? I am thinking of joining as I have heard a lot of good things about it. I have heard it is cheap (c. Dh 5k/yr?), that the food is good and the alcohol subsidised and that there is a nice atmosphere.

I have also heard there is a 2 year waiting list...

Would really like to hear from anybody as to whether it is worth joining, and if you really do have to wait 2 years.

Thanks.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

andyjock will become famous soon enoughandyjock will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The [British] Club

Originally Posted by Bambi in Abu Dhabi
Is anybody here a member? I am thinking of joining as I have heard a lot of good things about it. I have heard it is cheap (c. Dh 5k/yr?), that the food is good and the alcohol subsidised and that there is a nice atmosphere.

Would really like to hear from anybody as to whether it is worth joining, and if you really do have to wait 2 years.

Thanks.
The waiting list is pretty long not sure if its as long as two years (and will probably drop), the facilities are decent enough but remember they are building directly across from the pool/beach area.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 7:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Bambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by andyjock
The waiting list is pretty long not sure if its as long as two years (and will probably drop), the facilities are decent enough but remember they are building directly across from the pool/beach area.
Thanks Andy. I hadn't considered how the building would affect the beach. Is it easy to get a cab from there in the evenings? I heard that it's a really nice place to hang out, but I was wondering how easy it is to get back home.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 7:57 am
Once a blue Always a blue

Tiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Andy. I hadn't considered how the building would affect the beach. Is it easy to get a cab from there in the evenings? I heard that it's a really nice place to hang out, but I was wondering how easy it is to get back home.
You know its at Mina, cabs from there to the city is quit hard.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tiger989
You know its at Mina, cabs from there to the city is quit hard.
Yeah, that's what I was wondering. I tried to get a cab from Mina once and, after waiting an age, had to walk half way home. With a carpet under my arm. Like one of the carpet-selling gypsies from my childhood.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 8:06 am

Tiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah, that's what I was wondering. I tried to get a cab from Mina once and, after waiting an age, had to walk half way home. With a carpet under my arm. Like one of the carpet-selling gypsies from my childhood.
hahaha

The iranian carpet market over there is brill. Hope it wasn't a big carpet.

To be honest the club is good but i think its over rated. I would rather go to the royal marina. The gym and the swimming pool and the facilies and the beach is ten times better.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

hahaha

The iranian carpet market over there is brill. Hope it wasn't a big carpet.

To be honest the club is good but i think its over rated. I would rather go to the royal marina. The gym and the swimming pool and the facilies and the beach is ten times better.
Thanks Tiger. Is the Royal Marina at the Sheraton? I can't find it on Google.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 8:25 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a member of the club. There is never any problems getting a taxi. Quite a long waiting list, first of all, you more than likely will be offered limited membership that allows you un sun-thu only. Then after a while, 6M to 1 Year you will be offered full membership.

Its is a great place, a bit far from where I live but my wife is there every day, so we definately get value for money.

There is a creche so it means my wife has some 'down time' each day for gym etc.

Ohh and the stella is cheap
Old Feb 7th 2009, 8:28 am

Thanks Tiger. Is the Royal Marina at the Sheraton? I can't find it on Google.
Nah its beside the Marina Mall. You won't find it on google or 181
You know those villas on the left of marina mall. It there. Pay them a visit Its worth it The only current members there are Adnoc Group. And the people who live in those villas.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Bambi, if you live in town there is a courtesy bus which is useful and stops at central places (Hamdan, Abu Dhabi Mall etc). I have usually managed to get taxis from the club - they have a little inside waiting area near the entrance gate.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 8:34 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

The beach at the club is not affected by the building works on al Reem island.

As for the view, well its not great, but all in all its a great place, great value for money, I guess that reflects in the long waiting list.

We put our name down as soon as we knew we were coming here, I got a friend to refer us on the application form.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Nah its beside the Marina Mall. You won't find it on google or 181
You know those villas on the left of marina mall. It there. Pay them a visit Its worth it The only current members there are Adnoc Group. And the people who live in those villas.
I was there this morning getting my nails done! Apart from the pool and the salon (which are both lovely) what else does it have there?
Old Feb 7th 2009, 9:08 am
BE Enthusiast

May I ask what the Fees are for a couple for both The British Club and Royal Marina? Thanks.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 9:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

remember its not called the british club anymore... but there is a long waiting list, but that is mostly for families as a single/couple you would not be as long, but it depends on people leaving ie one family with 2 kids leaving then it would be given to one family with 2 kids on the list etc, so it depends on the demographics of your family as to how long. Yes the view isnt great, but where is here nowadays, but when they develop the mina area (which is on the cards) it may not be there long and the fees have just gone up but its still on the cheap side.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 3:47 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.
Only been there once so far but enjoyed it and will probably put myself down on the waiting list - which I have heard is very long.

N.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.