Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

[ASK] Job Offer in Dubai...is it good or not...?

[ASK] Job Offer in Dubai...is it good or not...?

Old Jun 26th 2007, 8:58 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: [ASK] Job Offer in Dubai...is it good or not...?

Originally Posted by j08_100k3r
Hello all,

I received a job offer with following details :

The job will be commissioning of telecommunication equipment in Gulf area, based at Dubai.
The position will be Senior Engineer.
The Approx Salary will be AED 140,000/ Annum.
This excludes the daily allowance paid for outdoor work.
Includes housing allowance.
Includes medical insurance for self and family.
Includes 30 days leave with paid air ticket to home country for self and family.
No family relocation allowance, only first one way ticket provided for self and family.
No information for transportation allowance.

FYI..I have little baby just born on November 2006...

Thanks for the response...
That works out at 11,666AED a month (£1,643pcm)....for a family

That is piss poor. To have a reasonable quality of life you would want around 30,000AED a month (360,000AED a year)
Old Jun 26th 2007, 9:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all,

I received a job offer with following details :

The job will be commissioning of telecommunication equipment in Gulf area, based at Dubai.
The position will be Senior Engineer.
The Approx Salary will be AED 140,000/ Annum.
This excludes the daily allowance paid for outdoor work.
Includes housing allowance.
Includes medical insurance for self and family.
Includes 30 days leave with paid air ticket to home country for self and family.
No family relocation allowance, only first one way ticket provided for self and family.
No information for transportation allowance.

FYI..I have little baby just born on November 2006...

Thanks for the response...
It is a bloody awful offer - you can get a technician's job in Qatar for 360,000 / Annum + allowances if you don't mind being in the field.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 9:04 am
Just Joined

j08_100k3r is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
That works out at 11,666AED a month (£1,643pcm)....for a family

That is piss poor. To have a reasonable quality of life you would want around 30,000AED a month (360,000AED a year)
So Jammy...
It means that for the basic I had to bargain in the range of AED 15K - 18K ?
then the rest 12K - 15K AED will be spread to allowances ?

Do you have any idea, what kind of allowance normally get for work in UAE...?

I'm totally new for the Gulf World...
So... I have to make sure that I won't be suffered...
Old Jun 26th 2007, 9:08 am
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

So Jammy...
It means that for the basic I had to bargain in the range of AED 15K - 18K ?
then the rest 12K - 15K AED will be spread to allowances ?

Do you have any idea, what kind of allowance normally get for work in UAE...?

I'm totally new for the Gulf World...
So... I have to make sure that I won't be suffered...
No 30k basic
Old Jun 26th 2007, 9:18 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fairydust
No 30k basic
Indeed, 30k a month basic.

An apartment will cost you between 100-180k per year..a villa even more.
(Please note that rent has to be paid a year in advance...typically 2 cheques)
Old Jun 26th 2007, 9:18 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Fairydust
No 30k basic
hmmm...
is it applicable for south-east asian people too...?
I'm afraid if that amount only applicable to western...

and according to this post http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...t=salary+level
it will be in grade 13 - 15 then....
Old Jun 26th 2007, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

expat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond repute

hmmm...

and according to this post http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...t=salary+level

Do you think you are only worth Dhs15k? If you and other SE Asians accept low salaries, then the market will continually offer you lower wages compared to everyone else
Old Jun 26th 2007, 9:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

hmmm...

Buddy, I'm afraid that it does rather depend on where your qualifications are from. It is a sad but true fact that if you have a Western degree, and preferably chartered status from a Western Engineering Institute, then you will tend to fare better..
Old Jun 26th 2007, 9:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by expat.brat
Do you think you are only worth Dhs15k? If you and other SE Asians accept low salaries, then the market will continually offer you lower wages compared to everyone else
i think you over-simplify the issue.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 9:27 am
Just Joined

No...absolutely I don't mean that...
but...by reading some other forum, such as www.qatarliving.com, some poster there said that the employer will pay based on home-country salary..

Of course I would like to bargain as per the market price..
because...I have to purchase everything in the same price right...?
there is no special discount for SE Asian people right ?
Old Jun 26th 2007, 9:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No...absolutely I don't mean that...
but...by reading some other forum, such as www.qatarliving.com, some poster there said that the employer will pay based on home-country salary..

Of course I would like to bargain as per the market price..
because...I have to purchase everything in the same price right...?
there is no special discount for SE Asian people right ?
yeah, the argument you often hear is that since people come here as expats and will usually own a house in their home country & plan to retire there, then people from the countries with a high cost of living should be paid more for the "hardship" of being away from home.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 9:33 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
yeah, the argument you often hear is that since people come here as expats and will usually own a house in their home country & plan to retire there, then people from the countries with a high cost of living should be paid more for the "hardship" of being away from home.
hiks...
sad but true... isn't it...?

OK then...
I will bargain as per your suggestions here dudes...
thanks all...
I have much clearer view now....
Old Jun 26th 2007, 9:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

hiks...
sad but true... isn't it...?

OK then...
I will bargain as per your suggestions here dudes...
thanks all...
I have much clearer view now....
Good luck - just take into account the cost of living, and see whether you will be materially better off. It's just a question of math, really...
Old Jun 26th 2007, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute

!

Can't help thinking of that line from The Simpsons in which in a Mr Burns flashback a worker is complaining of the treatment of the workers by management:

"You can't treat the working man this way! One of these days we'll form a union, and get the fair and equitable treatment we deserve! Then we'll go too far, and become corrupt and shiftless, and the Japanese will eat us alive!"
Old Jun 26th 2007, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

saafar is just really nicesaafar is just really nicesaafar is just really nicesaafar is just really nicesaafar is just really nicesaafar is just really nicesaafar is just really nicesaafar is just really nice

Originally Posted by jvr20
!

Can't help thinking of that line from The Simpsons in which in a Mr Burns flashback a worker is complaining of the treatment of the workers by management:

"You can't treat the working man this way! One of these days we'll form a union, and get the fair and equitable treatment we deserve! Then we'll go too far, and become corrupt and shiftless, and the Japanese will eat us alive!"
dude..how cum ur a senior member but you only have 3 stars?

Have u been a bad boy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.