Reload this Page >

***ACA in London - I want to come to Dubai! please read and help**

***ACA in London - I want to come to Dubai! please read and help**

Old May 5th 2008, 12:42 am
Forum Regular

Riina is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile ***ACA in London - I want to come to Dubai! please read and help**

Hi there,

Please help - This forum is excellent and i really need some good advice from experienced people!!

I am an ACA qualified accountant (2 years post qualified) - and have been working in transaction services for nearly 2 years now, in London for one of the Big 4, I have worked on many large financial due diligence projects selling FTSE 100 companies. I recently got offered a transfer in Dubai but am thinking of rejecting it as I have worked out that after all my outgoings and sending money home etc i will only be left with about 15,000 AED a month to live on and that includes rent! After doing some extensive research I have concluded that this is not enough to get by and enjoy life especially as I will have to live near SZR!

I really want to come to Dubai, I love it but it seems so difficult to find a decent job out there with the right perks etc...what do you think is a reasonable package I should consider? One of my friends has recently got a job in Abu Dhabi and has been offered around £70k - £80k a year and with really good benefits...I think he just got lucky...so am i being unrealistic in expecting something along the lines of a £50k plus package?

Please help - I have another job starting in London with an investment bank at the end of June and it is in middle office - Im not sure if this is the right move but i figured working for a major international bank would get me closer to getting a good role in Dubai! I am still searching to find something before then so i can just try and get something good in Dubai now! The job in London is management of SPV's - not that exciting...

Sorry to ramble on but I really need someone to give me an honest opinion and realistic view...Thanks!!!
Old May 5th 2008, 12:51 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ***ACA in London - I want to come to Dubai! please read and help**

Welcome to the forums, but have a search, there's been loads of recent threads about peoples packages, cost of living and help with finding work...the wiki is a good start there.

But what your requirements will be, that'll depend on what you expect to get from being out there, is you have a family, want to go partying everynight or to save a wedge of cash etc....
Old May 5th 2008, 12:59 am
Forum Regular

Hi!!

I'm not a mad party animal and dont drink but I like eating out and when I have been to Dubai have loved places like Ikandy at the Shangri - La and the Medinat Jumeriah complex. I am single and very sociable so no real problems with flat share..I just dont want to be in a situation where I am broke and can't enjoy life...I spoke to a friend of mine and my total package per year offered is about 315,000 AED and after excluding money I will send back home etc this will leave me with 15,000 aed per month for food, rent, clothes, car etc etc...I would also like to save a little too..

I want to come to Dubai for the experience, to escape from the ratrace..meet new people and after a year if i like it would like to search for a better job..i dont know how easy people from the big 4 are recruited though!
Old May 5th 2008, 12:16 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Riina
Hi!!

I'm not a mad party animal and dont drink but I like eating out and when I have been to Dubai have loved places like Ikandy at the Shangri - La and the Medinat Jumeriah complex. I am single and very sociable so no real problems with flat share..I just dont want to be in a situation where I am broke and can't enjoy life...I spoke to a friend of mine and my total package per year offered is about 315,000 AED and after excluding money I will send back home etc this will leave me with 15,000 aed per month for food, rent, clothes, car etc etc...I would also like to save a little too..

I want to come to Dubai for the experience, to escape from the ratrace..meet new people and after a year if i like it would like to search for a better job..i dont know how easy people from the big 4 are recruited though!
sounds to me like you'd have plenty of money spare if you got paid that salary,
Old May 5th 2008, 12:29 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
sounds to me like you'd have plenty of money spare if you got paid that salary,
that's 26,250 per month - for a single person (who doesn't drink !!) then I'm sure you'd get by fine.

Rent near SZR for a 1 bed might be approx 10,000 per month (maybe?) or get a villa / flat shar for 5 or 6,000...

I think you'd be fine on that wage... but it's up to you and your tastes!
Old May 5th 2008, 12:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
that's 26,250 per month - for a single person (who doesn't drink !!) then I'm sure you'd get by fine.

Rent near SZR for a 1 bed might be approx 10,000 per month (maybe?) or get a villa / flat shar for 5 or 6,000...

I think you'd be fine on that wage... but it's up to you and your tastes!
but he said he will only have 15k a month for everything after paying off various other things...that's no where near as attractive...

MM, xx
Old May 5th 2008, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
but he said he will only have 15k a month for everything after paying off various other things...that's no where near as attractive...

MM, xx
Hey thanks for the input....My plan was to come to Dubai initially struggle it out for a year or so and then go for other roles...what do you think? It seems so hard to get a decent job out there!!

But truthfully speaking it seems 15k per month will not be enough to live well etc...
Old May 5th 2008, 12:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Hey thanks for the input....My plan was to come to Dubai initially struggle it out for a year or so and then go for other roles...what do you think? It seems so hard to get a decent job out there!!

But truthfully speaking it seems 15k per month will not be enough to live well etc...
it's enough to live, but not "well" i guess...rents seem to be 6k+ for just a room share in a house...

MM, xx
Old May 5th 2008, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

it's enough to live, but not "well" i guess...rents seem to be 6k+ for just a room share in a house...

MM, xx

Thanks for your honesty ...I think I will struggle..im bad at budgeting and saving!

I hear that there are potentially new taxes coming in and even VAT next year? is this true??!!
Old May 5th 2008, 12:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

im bad at budgeting and saving!
oh i like you already...!!

MM, xx
Old May 5th 2008, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

jrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to all

A big 4 firm only paying you 15k a month? You must have some serious outgoings before you come down to that figure?

There are roles out here for people like you I believe, pm me if you want me to try and give more info.
Old May 5th 2008, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

oh i like you already...!!

MM, xx
Hahahah - life's about having fun...but maybe if i did have some savings i would be able to supplement any shortfalls in Dubai...but at least Ive had fun and no regrets !!
Old May 5th 2008, 1:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

I want to come to Dubai .... to escape from the ratrace

Old May 5th 2008, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The Dean
I want to come to Dubai .... to escape from the ratrace

Well i guess the ratrace in the sun is better than the gloominess of London...!!!