Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Meet-ups
Reload this Page >

Who is from Yorkshire?

Who is from Yorkshire?

Old Dec 13th 2011, 4:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who is from Yorkshire?

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Is there any chance your daughter will move back to the UK???

I remember going up Fargate and the Moor as a little kid to see the Christmas lights, it was always a thrill, Sheffield's Christmas lights were always lovely, we'd make a special trip into town just to see at them...

As a teenager I would always call in at the Thorntons Chocolate Cabin on Arundel Gate on my way back to Pond St, My in laws came a few months ago and brought me a few items, I love Thorntons...

I just noticed the print under Charlie, Wow, I'm very sorry, My sisters each lost a pooch this year, it really does take its toll, we lost our dog on Nov 5th 99, an easy day to remember, we made the decision at that time to not have another dog till we arrive back in the UK, I look forward to that....

I'm sure Charlie was a lovely dog, King Charles really are great companions...
We always made the journey into town to see the Christmas lights. They were supposed to be the best in the country...or at least they were when I was a child.

I remember all those places. Do you remember the Mucky Duck and the chestnut seller at the top of Snig Hill? Our bus station was at the bottom of Snig Hill. I had a Saturday job at BHS when I was at school.

Thank you. She was the best and Cavs are lovely dogs...she was our 5th Cav.
Old Dec 13th 2011, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

Lola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really nice

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
hi yep thats me!! Only been in USA since March but xmas will be my third time back
My poor mum is getting on a bit and has been in an out of hospital (mainlyl in!!) since June so hence my very frequent trips
I will deffo say Hi to the bluebell cos will deffo be passing it!!!!
Sorry to hear about your mum. Hope she gets better soon.
Will you be taking the Quells this time
I haven't been back in over 10 years, but intend to go in the Spring
Have a good flight.
Old Dec 13th 2011, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

Lola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
A big part of me wishes I was flying back to Sheffield too.
So sorry to read about Charlie. I can't begin to imagine how you must feel. I have 2 cavs and they have kept me (reasonably) sane for years now.
Old Dec 13th 2011, 6:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

hi yep thats me!! Only been in USA since March but xmas will be my third time back
My poor mum is getting on a bit and has been in an out of hospital (mainlyl in!!) since June so hence my very frequent trips
I will deffo say Hi to the bluebell cos will deffo be passing it!!!!
I'm sorry to hear about your mum. I know how heartbreaking it is to be so far away at when elderly relatives are sick. Two years ago I was back and to the UK several times because my 89 yr old mum was ill. The year before that both my father and FIL died within 4 weeks of each other.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

We always made the journey into town to see the Christmas lights. They were supposed to be the best in the country...or at least they were when I was a child.

I remember all those places. Do you remember the Mucky Duck and the chestnut seller at the top of Snig Hill? Our bus station was at the bottom of Snig Hill. I had a Saturday job at BHS when I was at school.

Thank you. She was the best and Cavs are lovely dogs...she was our 5th Cav.
Hi Jersey...

I suppose you will be having a 6th Cavalier at some point...

B.H.S. were always nice.

We were told the same thing about the Christmas lights, lol, even better than Blackpools, at least thats what they said...

I do remember Snig Hill and the Mucky Duck name rings a bell as does the man selling chestnuts although I cant vision it, Id forgot those even exisited, Im sure he had a cart...

There was a really nice multi storey B&C Co-op on Snig Hill, across from it and below the Cinema on the corner of Bank street was a pub, I just cant remember the name of it, (Early to mid 70s) it used to have lots of trouble, fights etc, I've just looked on Google Earth and its now called The Boardwalk, I see the Co-op is still there.

I worked for a car dealer based on Gibralter Street, not far from Snig Hill, what a name, I have so many good memories of Sheffield, we could chat for weeks...
Old Dec 14th 2011, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

How about a virtual Yorkshire Christmas? In Knaresborough we have the Nativity with a real donkey on Christmas Eve in the Market Square and on Boxing Day a Tug o` war across the river Nidd between the two pub teams from the Mother Shiptons and the Half Moon. First team in the drink`s the losers. Oh, god, now I`m homesick!
Old Dec 14th 2011, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lola-Monmouth
Sorry to hear about your mum. Hope she gets better soon.
Will you be taking the Quells this time
I haven't been back in over 10 years, but intend to go in the Spring
Have a good flight.
hi Thank you!!! Lol at the quells!! You remembered my drama of all dramas! Im not eating anything but dried crackers - well thats the plan but i bet it wont work!!!

hope you get back to UK in the spring - for you
Old Dec 14th 2011, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry to hear about your mum. I know how heartbreaking it is to be so far away at when elderly relatives are sick. Two years ago I was back and to the UK several times because my 89 yr old mum was ill. The year before that both my father and FIL died within 4 weeks of each other.
Thank you so much! It is hard being so far away when parents/family etc are ill back in UK.Mum is 84 so my fingers are crossed for her better health next year.
Wow that was hard with your father and FIL!
Old Dec 15th 2011, 1:46 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

OMG see you there!!! I am going to take husband - he is a California lad and cant bear the cold - he better brace himself for a bit of the North East wind!!!!
We'll be easy to spot - one of the kids will be wrapped up like he's on the last leg of a trek to the North pole, and one will be in shorts and a t-shirt....hard to believe they're from the same stock....
Old Dec 15th 2011, 2:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
We'll be easy to spot - one of the kids will be wrapped up like he's on the last leg of a trek to the North pole, and one will be in shorts and a t-shirt....hard to believe they're from the same stock....
Will keep an eye out!!! I will be carrying a bag with the union jack on it (from Primark)
Old Dec 15th 2011, 4:00 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Hi Jersey...

I suppose you will be having a 6th Cavalier at some point...

B.H.S. were always nice.

We were told the same thing about the Christmas lights, lol, even better than Blackpools, at least thats what they said...

I do remember Snig Hill and the Mucky Duck name rings a bell as does the man selling chestnuts although I cant vision it, Id forgot those even exisited, Im sure he had a cart...

There was a really nice multi storey B&C Co-op on Snig Hill, across from it and below the Cinema on the corner of Bank street was a pub, I just cant remember the name of it, (Early to mid 70s) it used to have lots of trouble, fights etc, I've just looked on Google Earth and its now called The Boardwalk, I see the Co-op is still there.

I worked for a car dealer based on Gibralter Street, not far from Snig Hill, what a name, I have so many good memories of Sheffield, we could chat for weeks...
I remember all of those. The correct name for the Mucky Duck was The Black Swan...there used to be a large black swan over the door. The cinema was called the ABC back in the 70's...the Odeon was near Pond St Bus Station (or they could be the other way around).
Old Dec 15th 2011, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

I remember all of those. The correct name for the Mucky Duck was The Black Swan...there used to be a large black swan over the door. The cinema was called the ABC back in the 70's...the Odeon was near Pond St Bus Station (or they could be the other way around).
Thanks so much, Ive been puzzled by that for years, lol The Black Swan... Wow... I once went in there to see a band called "Light Fantastic" who were big at the time.

The cinemas, I cant remember which was which but I do remember them well, the one in Fitzalan Square near the post office has been a Bingo place for years, there were two in Fitzalan square at one time, cant remember the name of the other, no biggy, I liked the Gaumont up near John Lewis's in Barkers Pool, maybe cos it was new at the time...

Thanks again... Enjoy your day...
Old Dec 16th 2011, 3:03 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks so much, Ive been puzzled by that for years, lol The Black Swan... Wow... I once went in there to see a band called "Light Fantastic" who were big at the time.

The cinemas, I cant remember which was which but I do remember them well, the one in Fitzalan Square near the post office has been a Bingo place for years, there were two in Fitzalan square at one time, cant remember the name of the other, no biggy, I liked the Gaumont up near John Lewis's in Barkers Pool, maybe cos it was new at the time...

Thanks again... Enjoy your day...
I remember the balcony falling down in the Gaumont. My first job was at the Education Offices on Leopold Street. I used to love Cole Brothers (John Lewis).
Old Dec 16th 2011, 12:36 pm
How many vacation days?

Warrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to all

Our maud is from Keighley, West Yorks.

As she says 'Not only I am perfect, I'm from Yorkshire too!'
Old Dec 16th 2011, 2:18 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Warrington Wolf
Our maud is from Keighley, West Yorks.

As she says 'Not only I am perfect, I'm from Yorkshire too!'
At last, someone from just up the road from me! Ask if she used to be taken to see the birds at Cliff Castle as a kid -- to say nothing of skating on the tarn in the winter!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.