Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Meet-ups
Reload this Page >

Who is from Yorkshire?

Who is from Yorkshire?

Old Dec 28th 2014, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

LindseyAnn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Who is from Yorkshire?

I am from Middlesbrough, Teesside, which is now back in the county of Yorkshire (used to be Cleveland) and most of my favourite places are in Yorkshire (Saltburn, Whitby, Northallerton, York etc). Really missing it.
Old Dec 28th 2014, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

TopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LindseyAnn
I am from Middlesbrough, Teesside, which is now back in the county of Yorkshire (used to be Cleveland) and most of my favourite places are in Yorkshire (Saltburn, Whitby, Northallerton, York etc). Really missing it.
Hubby was born in New Marske. We were up there on Boxing Day, after having a very foggy walk and drive across Blakey Ridge
Old Dec 28th 2014, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

Marty360 is an unknown quantity at this point

From Bradford in West Yorkshire. Living in Idaho now, with my wife (US Citizen) and my daughter. I am still trying to get used to the homesickness.
Old Dec 29th 2014, 2:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marty360
From Bradford in West Yorkshire. Living in Idaho now, with my wife (US Citizen) and my daughter. I am still trying to get used to the homesickness.
Ive been here since 76, for me the homesicknes has never gone away, I still miss the UK and plan to go back.

I see you are in Idaho, thats not a bad state, Im west of you in Oregon, we are both a long way from home.
Old Dec 29th 2014, 3:21 am
Just Joined

Marty360 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Ive been here since 76, for me the homesicknes has never gone away, I still miss the UK and plan to go back.

I see you are in Idaho, thats not a bad state, Im west of you in Oregon, we are both a long way from home.

How long was it before you visited home after initially moving here?
I like it here. Idaho is a quiet state, in respect to others. I moved from Yorkshire so it's kinda similar. Where did you move from?
Old Dec 29th 2014, 12:46 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE, Marty 360 -- I'm originally from just down the road in Bingley, went to Bradford Girls'. Good luck with settling in -- once you are able to work it will offer a good avenue for meeting folks and you won't feel as isolated. In the meantime, are there any organizations you can volunteer for so as to meet people with similar interests? At the library, animal shelter?
Old Dec 29th 2014, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

How long was it before you visited home after initially moving here?
I like it here. Idaho is a quiet state, in respect to others. I moved from Yorkshire so it's kinda similar. Where did you move from?

I visited home almost every year for many years, now its every two or three, Skype really helps, back then the phone was $1 a minute on Sundays (cheap rate) so most contact was by mail.

I like the Boise area of Idaho, I considered moving there at one point, just to bridge the gap between my family in Wyoming and Oregon.

How long have you lived there?

How long has it been since youve been back to the UK?

I moved from Sheffield to Wyoming to a boomtown with a 12.000 population, it was a major culture change and far away from many things, S.L.C. was 160 miles away, I stayed there 16 years and followed my retired parents to Oregon, we've been here 20 yrs and they have passed away.

Some Brits love it here and would never go back, I miss it every day.

What made you come here?
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

StephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud of

I'm from Mexborough, South Yorkshire. The nearest places that people are more likely to have heard of are Doncaster and Rotherham. I now reside in Rochester, NY.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 8:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by StephieFaith83
I'm from Mexborough, South Yorkshire. The nearest places that people are more likely to have heard of are Doncaster and Rotherham. I now reside in Rochester, NY.
I've heard of it.
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 12:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by StephieFaith83
Me too. lol
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

hi Im also from the Boro!! I did live in London but my family is in boro so i consider it home as well... Been here in USA - CA coming up 4 years...I really miss it - especially the town, Saltburn, Morrisons Berwick Hills and The Toby Maske!!
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TopSec
Hubby was born in New Marske. We were up there on Boxing Day, after having a very foggy walk and drive across Blakey Ridge
Now Im homesick
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

LindseyAnn is an unknown quantity at this point

CAdreaming - sent you a message
Old Jan 5th 2015, 8:16 am
BE Enthusiast

loubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond repute

I got married in Saltburn and my sister got married in Whitby. My mum is from Swainby, dad North Ormesby and they've been in Marton since the 80s.

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
hi Im also from the Boro!! I did live in London but my family is in boro so i consider it home as well... Been here in USA - CA coming up 4 years...I really miss it - especially the town, Saltburn, Morrisons Berwick Hills and The Toby Maske!!
I left at 18 to go to Uni, then lived in London for 6 years. Did a quick overnight visit last year and I'm going 'home' at the weekend for one of our farewell parties.

UTB!
Old Jan 5th 2015, 3:07 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, some folk are real local to me ...we moved to Guisborough when I was in primary school. Lots of names that ring bells in the last couple of pages ....

Saltburn was always our default "blow the cobwebs away" walk on the beach or through the valley gardens. It is now a favourite with my own kids when we go back. Mam always said she wanted to retire to one of the big old houses on the "top" but never did, so we did the next best thing and scattered her ashes there this summer.

New Marske was always a good option for sledging in the hill next to Grewgrass Lane, although the sledging field in Hutton Village was normally first choice as it was closer.

Whitby was a regular visit for fish and chips at the Magpie or the one just across the bridge on the right - cant remember the name. Always stink up the car on the way back with a few kippers. Sister now gets the train down there for a night out!!

Blakey - a regular evening night out in our late teens/early 20's. We shared the designated driver duty and used to head up there summer or winter - but especially when there was snow in the forecast, in the hope of becoming the subject of one of the newspaper cuttings on the wall about customers snowed in for a week

Swainby - we were friends with some folk from Stokesly who lived out there - one of them was the daughter of the owner of the Blacksmiths Arms, so when we were in the mood for a guaranteed lock-in, guess where.....

Northallerton was never close on my radar, but if I asked Mam if she wanted a run out somewhere it would normally be to Northallerton or Yarm. Nice old towns, and if we ever moved back, I think we'd head somewhere like that.

North Ormesby was where I learnt to play pontoon and gin/rummy with great Aunt, after early piano lessons with old Miss Clacton who was never without her "sunday best" church hat. After she died, we moved to Mrs Butters who used to scream at me that I was a "wretched boy" if I hadn't done my practice (wonder why I never enjoyed piano....). By this time the Aunt had moved to a big old Victorian in Redcar, and I would go there after piano for "continuing education" including my introduction to whisky at a very tender age!

Berwick Hills swimming baths were where we went for a few swim meets, diving lessons, and to get beaten up for our chips afterwards

Err, sorry, bit of a ramble along memory lane for me there.

Last edited by Yorkieabroad; Jan 5th 2015 at 3:09 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.