Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Meet-ups
Reload this Page >

Who is from Yorkshire?

Who is from Yorkshire?

Old Sep 4th 2013, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who is from Yorkshire?

Originally Posted by chayowl
I must say I do like Bush Baked beans and a few other US versions of English foods, it is just the stuff like Pork Pies that are unheard of here that I do miss. All in all US food is actually pretty good, it just takes a little while to get used to the taste of staple foods, I don't know if it is more sugar or whatever but after so long things taste pretty much the same as back home.
I still only eat the real thing, Heinz Beans from the UK, Im funny like that, Pork Pies and good pork sausage is available, lucky you, you are on the east coast, I buy Sausage from the east coast and it costs more to ship it here than the sausage costs to start with...

Over the years British stuff has got more easily availabe, yet there are still some things I never see.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 3:15 am
Forum Regular

chayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond repute

I don't want to go "home', I don't want to remember what I am missing......
Old Sep 4th 2013, 3:18 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
I still only eat the real thing, Heinz Beans from the UK, Im funny like that, Pork Pies and good pork sausage is available, lucky you, you are on the east coast, I buy Sausage from the east coast and it costs more to ship it here than the sausage costs to start with...

Over the years British stuff has got more easily availabe, yet there are still some things I never see.
I'm with you...only Heinz will do.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

chayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I'm with you...only Heinz will do.
I managed to pick up a few cans of Heinz on my first visit to my local World Market, since then they have not had any at all, so making do with the local versions is not an option, it's either Bush or nothing...
Old Sep 4th 2013, 9:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I managed to pick up a few cans of Heinz on my first visit to my local World Market, since then they have not had any at all, so making do with the local versions is not an option, it's either Bush or nothing...
Back in '96 when we moved here we took a trip to Toronto. In a supermarket I found what I thought was UK Heinz Baked Beans. We bought a box of several dozen cans to bring back to the US. I was so disappointed when I opened the first can...the beans were in some sort of BBQ sauce. I gave them all to the local food bank.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Back in '96 when we moved here we took a trip to Toronto. In a supermarket I found what I thought was UK Heinz Baked Beans. We bought a box of several dozen cans to bring back to the US. I was so disappointed when I opened the first can...the beans were in some sort of BBQ sauce. I gave them all to the local food bank.
It's funny that the humble baked bean is one of the most missed items and one that you would never really think would be such a big miss. pork n beans just don't do it, Bush are okay but no real substitute.
Old Sep 5th 2013, 1:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

It's funny that the humble baked bean is one of the most missed items and one that you would never really think would be such a big miss. pork n beans just don't do it, Bush are okay but no real substitute.
Just keep looking around you will find them, They used to be a speciality item only found in British stores but Ive recently found them in our tiny local store and a other places locally.

I sometimes see some that are Made in Canada, Ive never tried them so I cant comment on the taste, the can is a slightly different green, of course it says Made in Canada on the label.

When we first came here 37 yrs ago we couldn't find many popular British items, we used to bring suitcases full of Grub back from the UK, sweets and canned beans, heinz sponge puddings, daddies sauce etc, we couldnt afford to do that today even if we wanted to.
Old Sep 5th 2013, 2:23 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..., Bush are okay but no real substitute.
I find Bush's beans just too sweet, the sauce seems to be more like a syrup than a tomato sauce.
Old Sep 5th 2013, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I find Bush's beans just too sweet, the sauce seems to be more like a syrup than a tomato sauce.
Yes they are sweet and have that molasses taste to them, I know that if I had a proper taste of Heinz again I would be back to 8 months ago and not like them very much. I am sure my taste buds are slowly changing, I can even eat the nasty bread now which I never thought I would do. This is in no way a major whinge though, I do like most of the food over here, just some little things that are missed.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

sugarcoated is an unknown quantity at this point

Tell us more, about you and your situation...
I moved to the US in 2003, married an American. Eventually ended up in West Michigan but now starting a move to Tucson, Arizona.
Old Sep 7th 2013, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sugarcoated
I moved to the US in 2003, married an American. Eventually ended up in West Michigan but now starting a move to Tucson, Arizona.
Thanks... that looks like one extreme to the other... Cold to Hot... Enjoy Tuscon many do...
Old Sep 7th 2013, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute

I'm off to the nearest English import shop today for some beans thanks to you lot!
If I have to pick up some other stuff too then so be it.
Old Sep 7th 2013, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

Lbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say we're quite lucky, we can get a pretty decent selection of British food in the local grocery stores. There's one that even has Hula Hoops and Walkers. They also have bacon and sausages in the freezer, and Yorkshire puddings.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

sugarcoated is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks... that looks like one extreme to the other... Cold to Hot... Enjoy Tuscon many do...
Thanks, I'm looking forward to it. I have arthritis so it will help. Just heard bad things about the schools so that's a worry for my littles. :/
Old Sep 12th 2013, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

Lbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond repute

Did anyone catch Last Tango in Halifax on PBS?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.