Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Meet-ups
Reload this Page >

Who is from Yorkshire?

Who is from Yorkshire?

Old Jun 17th 2013, 10:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who is from Yorkshire?

Originally Posted by chayowl
My mum was the manageress of the Hagenbachs bakery at the top of Herries road for a good few years, she walked up there a few times when the snow came down, we told her she was mad to do it but she would never take the day off....
What a small world? I used to go to the open air pool in Longley Park in the summer. Church parade to the park on Whit Monday.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chayowl
i have only been an expat for 7 months and spent the best part of 40 years living in the North of the city, the last house being just off Wood Lane at Stannington. i moved away for ten years in the 90's and could not believe the changes when i came back, Attercliffe was the biggest shock of all i would say, gone all of the old steelworks and run down terraced housing and all of the new sports and shopping centers that replaced them. I did think though that Coles Corner was the old meeting place in town, or is that before the t'ole in t' road era?
I know the Aquarium was a meeting place for me, thats not to say there werent other places for other people, I suppose its whatever worked for you.

Attercliffe has changed alot, it was a rough and dirty place when I worked there, the building where I used to work is long gone, they were in Biz for about 65-70 years.

I see Banners is still there, Wow that was a nice department store back in the day.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 1:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the heads up with that pictures of Sheffield old and new, just spent a while going through them.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 2:41 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
.....I see Banners is still there, Wow that was a nice department store back in the day.
My dad used to buy things from Banners, but always tools and hardware (back in the day before B&Q, Great Mills, and Homebase), so I never even knew it was (is) a department store. He worked in one of the steel mills in Attercliffe, though I don't now remember which one.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
My dad used to buy things from Banners, but always tools and hardware (back in the day before B&Q, Great Mills, and Homebase), so I never even knew it was (is) a department store. He worked in one of the steel mills in Attercliffe, though I don't now remember which one.
Wow... Thanks for that...

The building is still there, I think Banners has closed, Yes it was a really nice place to shop, clothes, camping gear, tools, TVs you name it, it was much like a nice Coop shop, Id have a walk around there sometimes on my lunch hour, I also shopped at Westons Chemist near the corner of Staniforth Road, they had a record dept... Oh and Burtons was on on the corner...

There were so many steel works down Attercliffe it would be hard for me to come up with a name, My sister was an office girl at Sanderson Kaysers at one point...
Old Jun 19th 2013, 6:59 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Wow... Thanks for that...

The building is still there, I think Banners has closed, Yes it was a really nice place to shop, clothes, camping gear, tools, TVs you name it, it was much like a nice Coop shop, Id have a walk around there sometimes on my lunch hour, I also shopped at Westons Chemist near the corner of Staniforth Road, they had a record dept... Oh and Burtons was on on the corner...

There were so many steel works down Attercliffe it would be hard for me to come up with a name, My sister was an office girl at Sanderson Kaysers at one point...
We lived all the way across town, off Abbey Lane. My mother used to walk down to Woodseats with my little sister and me to buy groceries (she didn't, and never has, learned to drive) visiting the butcher, greengrocer, and Wood's minimart, for dry goods, but they fetched everything for you. Then Tesco opened, and it was never the same.

My paternal grandparents lived on the west side too, on Rural Lane, #82.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 19th 2013 at 7:03 pm.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 8:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

We lived all the way across town, off Abbey Lane. My mother used to walk down to Woodseats with my little sister and me to buy groceries (she didn't, and never has, learned to drive) visiting the butcher, greengrocer, and Wood's minimart, for dry goods, but they fetched everything for you. Then Tesco opened, and it was never the same.

My paternal grandparents lived on the west side too, on Rural Lane, #82.
I lived in a flat for a year so in Woodseats, Bromwich Road. It was a terraced house which had been converted into two flats.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 12:00 am
Forum Regular

Melly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
Well of course I'm from Bradford, this is old I guess, I didn't see it here? Made me homesick http://youtube.com/watch?v=k-nH3DN-ubE
Hello Bradford Lass, from another BFD Lass. I lived in Wyke, then moved to Wibsey before coming to the States in *84*. I'm curious where you lived?
Old Jun 20th 2013, 2:32 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Melly
Hello Bradford Lass, from another BFD Lass. I lived in Wyke, then moved to Wibsey before coming to the States in *84*. I'm curious where you lived?
Hello, Melly -- I'm from Bingley, went to school in Bradford.
Old Jun 21st 2013, 3:55 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
Well of course I'm from Bradford, this is old I guess, I didn't see it here? Made me homesick http://youtube.com/watch?v=k-nH3DN-ubE
That's a cracking video...the hill they fly up right at the end when the "Yorkshire" heading comes up is the back side of my avatar. If you look closely off to the left you can see one tree that looks a lot healthier than all the rest......there's a reason for that........its got generations of my family fertilizing it....hello Dad
Old Jun 25th 2013, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I lived in a flat for a year so in Woodseats, Bromwich Road. It was a terraced house which had been converted into two flats.
Wow! I've just been to see where Bromwich Rd is. You were just a couple of hundred yards from the school I went to on Abbey Lane (1/71-10/74), and even closer to St Chad's church that we attended.
Old Jun 25th 2013, 10:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Wow! I've just been to see where Bromwich Rd is. You were just a couple of hundred yards from the school I went to on Abbey Lane (1/71-10/74), and even closer to St Chad's church that we attended.
I waved to you as I passed...did you see me?

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jun 26th 2013 at 12:58 am. Reason: Smiley
Old Jun 26th 2013, 1:31 am

I waved to you as I passed...did you see me?
That was you?
Old Jun 26th 2013, 2:34 am
SUPER MODERATOR

That was you?
You didn't recognize me?
Old Jun 27th 2013, 11:21 pm

You didn't recognize me?
You looked so different back then.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.