Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Meet-ups
Reload this Page >

Who is from Yorkshire?

Who is from Yorkshire?

Old Jun 14th 2013, 6:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who is from Yorkshire?

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Oh Boy I really need a Holiday, Ive got to visit the good old places.
I moved over to Cheshire when I was around 20...my sister then went to uni there...15 years later my parents also moved to Cheshire. That's the main reason I haven't been back to Sheffield for years...I have cousins but no closer relatives.

Did you ever see the huge roundabout...surrounded by several small ones near the university? I wonder how Americans would handle that!
Old Jun 14th 2013, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I moved over to Cheshire when I was around 20...my sister then went to uni there...15 years later my parents also moved to Cheshire. That's the main reason I haven't been back to Sheffield for years...I have cousins but no closer relatives.

Did you ever see the huge roundabout...surrounded by several small ones near the university? I wonder how Americans would handle that!
Cheshire is very nice, I went to Chester last year, a Lovely place...

I'm assuming you mean the roundabout near Castle Market and Pond St, its a tough one, I learned to drive in Sheffield and that was one of the places my instructor would take me, I think Id have a harder time in Sheffield today with all the trams...

On the whole I love roundabouts because it keeps traffic moving, These days its so busy in the UK that many of the larger roundabouts have traffic lights which goes against the flow concept they were built for...

We have a few roundabouts here in Oregon, they are easy peasy its nice to see we are catching on...

Remember the hole in the road at the bottom of Fargate? its been filled in so trams can use those streets, I used to like that hole in the road (roundabout), so convenient for pedestrians.
Old Jun 14th 2013, 8:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Cheshire is very nice, I went to Chester last year, a Lovely place...

I'm assuming you mean the roundabout near Castle Market and Pond St, its a tough one, I learned to drive in Sheffield and that was one of the places my instructor would take me, I think Id have a harder time in Sheffield today with all the trams...

On the whole I love roundabouts because it keeps traffic moving, These days its so busy in the UK that many of the larger roundabouts have traffic lights which goes against the flow concept they were built for...

We have a few roundabouts here in Oregon, they are easy peasy its nice to see we are catching on...

Remember the hole in the road at the bottom of Fargate? its been filled in so trams can use those streets, I used to like that hole in the road (roundabout), so convenient for pedestrians.
I lives in Chester for 17 years until we moved here.

No...it used to be near the university...St Philips Road I think it was or near there.

I remember the hole in the wall...everyone used to meet at the fish tank for a night on the town

My driving instructor used to take me around Crookes. I used to stall turning corners...the roads are so steep you have to use first gear not second. Took the test around Handsworth...but used to practice in the city centre,
Old Jun 15th 2013, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

I lives in Chester for 17 years until we moved here.

No...it used to be near the university...St Philips Road I think it was or near there.

I remember the hole in the wall...everyone used to meet at the fish tank for a night on the town

My driving instructor used to take me around Crookes. I used to stall turning corners...the roads are so steep you have to use first gear not second. Took the test around Handsworth...but used to practice in the city centre,
I looked on Google Earth, found St Philips Rd and that roundabout, what a beauty...

I thought you were referring to the University on Granville road, that's the one I would pass all the time...

The Fish Tank, I almost brought that up myself, It really was the meeting place in Sheffield...

I lived in Beighton so Id travel around Woodhouse, Intake, Manor Top, Darnal and the town centre, of course we'd do Handsworth too as that's were the test centre was at the time...
Old Jun 15th 2013, 3:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I looked on Google Earth, found St Philips Rd and that roundabout, what a beauty...

I thought you were referring to the University on Granville road, that's the one I would pass all the time...

The Fish Tank, I almost brought that up myself, It really was the meeting place in Sheffield...

I lived in Beighton so Id travel around Woodhouse, Intake, Manor Top, Darnal and the town centre, of course we'd do Handsworth too as that's were the test centre was at the time...
When I lived in Sheffield the only uni was the one near St Philips Road...the rest were colleges. Now they've made the colleges into unis and what used to be 6th forms at school are now colleges. The one you mentioned was called Granville College.

The roundabout I mentioned is long gone...I think it was too complicated for people to manage. It was replaced by a normal roundabout.

My cousin lived in Handsworth...I spent a lot of my childhood there.
Old Jun 16th 2013, 4:03 am
BE Forum Addict

When I lived in Sheffield the only uni was the one near St Philips Road...the rest were colleges. Now they've made the colleges into unis and what used to be 6th forms at school are now colleges. The one you mentioned was called Granville College.

The roundabout I mentioned is long gone...I think it was too complicated for people to manage. It was replaced by a normal roundabout.

My cousin lived in Handsworth...I spent a lot of my childhood there.
You are right it was Granville college, there were so many colleges its a bit confusing, I went to Shirecliffe college, it was dissapointing to see it had been demolished and they have built a few houses there, it was a modern place at the time so that seemed a bit weird and sad to me.

I looked for Sheffield University on Google Earth and it was in a different place to where I imagined, I thought it was closer to St Marys gate and Suffolk Street, No Biggy.

I always liked Handsworth, I used to go through there on the way to work, it seemed like a nice place, an Old Girlfriend and workmate lived in that area, great people, great memories...
Old Jun 16th 2013, 4:05 am
SUPER MODERATOR

You are right it was Granville college, there were so many colleges its a bit confusing, I went to Shirecliffe college, it was dissapointing to see it had been demolished and they have built a few houses there, it was a modern place at the time so that seemed a bit weird and sad to me.

I looked for Sheffield University on Google Earth and it was in a different place to where I imagined, I thought it was closer to St Marys gate and Suffolk Street, No Biggy.

I always liked Handsworth, I used to go through there on the way to work, it seemed like a nice place, an Old Girlfriend and workmate lived in that area, great people, great memories...
Get out...I used to work at Shirecliffe College.
Old Jun 16th 2013, 5:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Get out...I used to work at Shirecliffe College.
Wow, the world gets smaller.

I was there 72-75.

Can you believe they knocked it down, its been gone for a few years now?

What a great view it had.
Old Jun 16th 2013, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Im sorry for taking over the thread with personal stuff, C-mon folks I know I'm no the only one from Yorkshire reading this thread, Keep posting...
Old Jun 17th 2013, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

chayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond repute

Im sorry for taking over the thread with personal stuff, C-mon folks I know I'm no the only one from Yorkshire reading this thread, Keep posting...
i have only been an expat for 7 months and spent the best part of 40 years living in the North of the city, the last house being just off Wood Lane at Stannington. i moved away for ten years in the 90's and could not believe the changes when i came back, Attercliffe was the biggest shock of all i would say, gone all of the old steelworks and run down terraced housing and all of the new sports and shopping centers that replaced them. I did think though that Coles Corner was the old meeting place in town, or is that before the t'ole in t' road era?
Old Jun 17th 2013, 5:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by chayowl
i have only been an expat for 7 months and spent the best part of 40 years living in the North of the city, the last house being just off Wood Lane at Stannington. i moved away for ten years in the 90's and could not believe the changes when i came back, Attercliffe was the biggest shock of all i would say, gone all of the old steelworks and run down terraced housing and all of the new sports and shopping centers that replaced them. I did think though that Coles Corner was the old meeting place in town, or is that before the t'ole in t' road era?
Everyone I knew met at the fish tank in't ole in't road.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

chayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond repute

Sheffield is undergoing even more changes right now, nearly all of the Moor at the bottom end is being pulled down making way for the new market. Not sure if anyone is on Facebook but there is a great group on there "Sheffield pictures old and new" it is well worth a look
Old Jun 17th 2013, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

Ruth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond repute

I lived on Herris rd, then Southey green( when it was a decent place), Mom worked at Husband & Company back then , we lived in a lovely flat on the top floor, then moved accross the street to Clarkson st, then Mom moved to live in The Manor House in Stannington next door to the Peacock .
Old Jun 17th 2013, 9:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Ruth16
I lived on Herris rd, then Southey green( when it was a decent place), Mom worked at Husband & Company back then , we lived in a lovely flat on the top floor, then moved accross the street to Clarkson st, then Mom moved to live in The Manor House in Stannington next door to the Peacock .
Blimey...my BIL lived just off Herries Rd...opp the 40 ft pub...he went to the Red Caps School. I was born in my aunt's house in Southey Green. Remember the cinema...was it called The Esseldo?

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jun 17th 2013 at 9:56 pm. Reason: typo
Old Jun 17th 2013, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

My mum was the manageress of the Hagenbachs bakery at the top of Herries road for a good few years, she walked up there a few times when the snow came down, we told her she was mad to do it but she would never take the day off....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.